Morton v Alloa

After three much improved performances and draws with Dundee (conceding an 88th minute equaliser), Motherwell (losing on penalties after going 1-0 down in the 121st minute) and Hearts (comfortably the better team but couldn't score), now we have a game we need to win against an already relegated Alloa side whose manager is away in two games time.

This reeks of an away win doesn't it? Alloa with the pressure off to play with a bit of freedom, Morton desperately needing to find a way to win but having by far the least goals in the division. We have to hope it works in our favour and the Alloa players chuck it, but I can't help being concerned about maintaining that performance level when there's an impetus on us to go and win the game.

I expect a tough game. Don't think Alloa will have chucked it. 

If we could score early they may just down tools but can't see it. 

Alloa have always been well organised when they play us and I don't see it being any different.

Gus has to be a bit more positive in his attacking options as we really could do with the win.

The squad have been very committed which is good to see. Problem is up front of course, so we may need the midfielders and defenders to chip in with a goal or two 

Knowing us we'll draw and Ayr will lose the next 2 games and we'll survive by 1 point 

Never an easy game.

If we don't give the playing surface a good watering this could go in two ways.

Alloa players are down and don't fancy picking up needless injuries which would impact on getting contracts next season.

The bounce of the ball makes it a lottery , if so attack is the only option, so it might bounce into the Alloa net.

I am hoping  we do water the ground and play an attacking formation. Get an early goal and Alloa might chase the game giving us more space.

Edited by Paisley Ton
I have seen the future

1 hour ago, Colkitto said:

I expect a tough game. Don't think Alloa will have chucked it. 

If we could score early they may just down tools but can't see it. 

Alloa have always been well organised when they play us and I don't see it being any different.

Gus has to be a bit more positive in his attacking options as we really could do with the win.

The squad have been very committed which is good to see. Problem is up front of course, so we may need the midfielders and defenders to chip in with a goal or two 

Knowing us we'll draw and Ayr will lose the next 2 games and we'll survive by 1 point 

That would only work if Ayr lost their games by a decent margin so that we made up the deficit in goal difference.  More likely we'll losr to Alloa then beat Arbroath, or draw both games to get through by a single point.

I hope we get a 6-0 win against Alloa but as that would involve us scoring more goals in a game than we normally score in about 6 games, it's not very likely.

1 hour ago, Alibi said:

That would only work if Ayr lost their games by a decent margin so that we made up the deficit in goal difference.  More likely we'll losr to Alloa then beat Arbroath, or draw both games to get through by a single point.

I hope we get a 6-0 win against Alloa but as that would involve us scoring more goals in a game than we normally score in about 6 games, it's not very likely.

We’re level on points with Ayr after the draw with Hearts. One point would be enough if Ayr were to lose both games.

Big choices here for McPherson...

The ‘land of the giants’ back four has been pretty sound, but at the expense of pushing Strapp into midfield (what is it about Morton managers and left-backs?).

Strapp dropping back to left-back makes him more effective and allows us to get another forward-thinking player in front of him.

Having both Jacobs and McGinn in the middle should allow us to be bolder in front of them... for me, Lyon, McGuffie, Nesbitt, and Oliver.

Think we’ll win, but it might take at least one goal from a set-piece to do it (and I’d definitely stick with Fjortoft at the back, for the simple reason that he looks the most likely from corners and free-kicks).

Would be surprised if he changed the back 4 and middle 3 after the last few games. Nesbitt a certainty on the right so only question is who plays through the middle and out left. I'd personally go Oliver and McGuffie but wouldn't surprise me if he goes Orsi/strapp again after Tues.

Going to be optimistic and say we will be right up for it and win comfortably against an Alloa team not really giving a feck.

2-0

Hard to say but I can't see our players chucking it the last two games. They've never been that kind of team and the only time the heads really went down was at Tynecastle. They responded from that with an excellent display against Raith where they very unlucky. Since then the manager has obviously said he is leaving, but he also pointed out how happy he was to be asked to stay for the last two games. I'd suspect the players will be aiming to give him a decent send off. 

Or we'll get pumped the last two games. 

I don't expect Alloa to down tools at all; I do expect a Morton team that has got a much more critical need to win to do the running as we did against Hearts on Tuesday; and with all the luck required given our useless forward options, actually win.

If this team cannot win tomorrow then they deserve to be relegated as well; it's really that straightforward.

Edited by vikingTON

6 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

How many games have they played post-relegation for such an analysis to have full validity?

This is a fair point and I don't claim my analysis ever to have "full validity". However, I do know this Alloa squad very well having watched them regularly over a few seasons and have no reason to doubt their commitment. I'd be very surprised indeed if they didn't make a decent effort at Cappielow. 

3 hours ago, Waspie said:

This is a fair point and I don't claim my analysis ever to have "full validity". However, I do know this Alloa squad very well having watched them regularly over a few seasons and have no reason to doubt their commitment. I'd be very surprised indeed if they didn't make a decent effort at Cappielow. 

They’ll be on win bonuses etc I imagine... extra cash in their pockets

Who knows how Alloa will react to relegation and to Grant's decision, but we really need to win this to keep the pressure on Ayr. We've averaged less than one goal per game this season so it's highly unlikely that we'll catch them on goal difference, therefore we have to get more points than they do in the two remaining games. If Ayr win both of theirs then we are almost certainly finishing ninth, either with less points than them or on goal difference. 

On paper we have a slightly easier run-in than them (though that's just an opinion, not a full in-depth analysis 😁) so if they finish above us then it's probably fair to say that they'll deserve to. 

15 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

How many games have they played post-relegation for such an analysis to have full 

9 hours ago, Waspie said:

Not that it means anything, but in 2015/16 we were relegated with 4 games left.

We beat Hibs and drew with Dumbarton and Queens at home, and drew with Rangers at Ibrox.

In all seriousness, completely agree. This might be the end for some of our key players (hopefully not too many) and they will want to at least go out positively. I'd be pretty amazed if we just downed tools in the last 2 games. 

Great opportunity here for The Wasps players to impress future employers for next season ......... mon The Wasps ............ yep, pathetically clutching at any straw in sight here ..... 😕