Players you hated then rated

Guest Bob Mahelp
8 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Mark McGhee for me,Didn't think he was good enough.

'Rate to hate' thread for McGhee I'm afraid.

4 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Haha, was going to say Smith.

He was a dirty elbowing b*****d from that dirty, horrible b*****d Airdrie team (has there been a dirtier, more loathsome team) and got booed on his debut before the aforementioned broken leg.

Became a club legend and burst two Norwegian goalkeepers.

I was at the game when he burst the two goalies. What a laugh! 

Scored 5 against Edinburgh City in the Scottish Cup when we were crap and the Pars were in the Premier Division too.

On 24/04/2021 at 17:14, Raidernation said:

Foolishly I was never convinced by the signing of Billy Stark to replace WGS. I’d argue he was a more important part of our subsequent success than he gets credit for.

In Scotland yes , not in Europe !

9 hours ago, Perkin Flump said:

Still remember him rampaging through to score the 4th goal v Honved Budapest after coming on in a European Cup game, we would love to have a striker like him in the national team nowadays.

IIRC correctly he turned his back on the national team for not getting played ( after scoring against england ) there was no shortage of good forwards back then

5 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Haha, was going to say Smith.

He was a dirty elbowing b*****d from that dirty, horrible b*****d Airdrie team (has there been a dirtier, more loathsome team) and got booed on his debut before the aforementioned broken leg.

Became a club legend and burst two Norwegian goalkeepers.

AFC , " Leeds United of Scottish football "

without the skill

19 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

I was at the game when he burst the two goalies. What a laugh! 

Scored 5 against Edinburgh City in the Scottish Cup when we were crap and the Pars were in the Premier Division too.

Aye I was at that Scottish Cup game.

Finished 7-2.

I was a bit too young for midweek trips to Tynecastle though, so never saw his Scotland B cap.

Edited by DA Baracus

1 minute ago, DA Baracus said:

Aye I was at that Scottish Cup game.

Finished 7-2.

Should we ever meet again at New Meadowbank and you want a pre match pint Westie's goalie top from the game is framed and has pride of place (well, shoved into a corner) in the nearby City Social Club.

I've got one of the matchworn City shirts. Worth at least a tenner :lol:

7 hours ago, A96 said:

Scott Severin.  I didn’t hate him before he came to us , as to be honest I’d hardly been aware of him.....but within a few games for us I was already rating him very highly. And , to me , it simply demonstrated just how far we’d fallen below Hearts in the pecking order in that he just about instantly became our best player but had only been a bit-part/fringe player for them.

Surely that's not right? I always remember Severin playing for Hearts.  

Guest TheJTS98
14 hours ago, A96 said:

Scott Severin.  I didn’t hate him before he came to us , as to be honest I’d hardly been aware of him.....but within a few games for us I was already rating him very highly. And , to me , it simply demonstrated just how far we’d fallen below Hearts in the pecking order in that he just about instantly became our best player but had only been a bit-part/fringe player for them.

7 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

Surely that's not right? I always remember Severin playing for Hearts.  

Severin played at Hearts and Levein wanted to keep him.

However, Severin believed he was destined for better things, so knocked back a new contract and left for free. He had it in his mind that he was off to England.

'If I move, it would need to be down south' https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12509571.severin-waits-for-offers/

Sadly for Severin, the offers didn't flood in, and Hearts had allocated their budget on the basis of him moving on, so had no wriggle room to sign him when he came back asking to stay. So, he ended up at Aberdeen.