Players you hated then rated

46 minutes ago, Perkin Flump said:

Showing my age here but John Sludden fair grew on me after a while.

Remember that well, not exactly a popular signing at the time but we signed Tommy Burns at roughly the same time which certainly helped ease the seethe. 

Not someone I hated as I was too young to really understand that, but Andy Smith got cheered off with a broken leg just after he signed for us by some.

Turned out to be one of our greatest ever strikers. I love the guy to this day and he's in my all time Pars 11

I never liked Tommy Burns when he played for Celtic and ended up loving the guy. 

Killie have so much to thank him for - he was the catalyst for getting us back to the 1st division, then the Premier League.

He did so much for us during his time at Rugby Park.

Edited by paul wright scores
Typo

3 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Mark McGhee for me,Didn't think he was good enough.

Still remember him rampaging through to score the 4th goal v Honved Budapest after coming on in a European Cup game, we would love to have a striker like him in the national team nowadays.

On 22/04/2021 at 21:10, Rcfc fan said:

Ross Draper , bossed the highland Derby’s with his thuggish behaviour but as soon as he joined us you just have to sit back and admire the shit housery 

He used to absolutely bully us.  Arguably more influential in derby games than Boyce, and absolutely key to the current midfield.  Of course, Hughes chooses to not pick him.

I always thought he was a good player, though.  

As for players I thought would be rubbish and turned out to be good.. Roy McBain looked hapless when he first signed, and went on to be a decent player for County.   Craig Brewster was about 56 when County signed him, and he scored some vital goals.  Stewart Petrie was an old guy desperate for a club,  and turned out to be an absolute favourite.

Most of the players County have signed with limited appeal have turned out to be dreadful, though.  I can’t think of too many players we’ve signed that other fans wrote off, and who then turned out to be excellent.  Ross Stewart and Scott Boyd being the exceptions.  It very rarely happens as fans are usually pretty good judges of players.

Just now, Billy Jean King said:

Still one of the finest footballers I ever saw play. Graceful almost balletic.

Yer da - "Football is soft these days! Men were men back then!"

Also yer da - "He was graceful, it was like watching a ballet, it was beautiful"

Scott Severin.  I didn’t hate him before he came to us , as to be honest I’d hardly been aware of him.....but within a few games for us I was already rating him very highly. And , to me , it simply demonstrated just how far we’d fallen below Hearts in the pecking order in that he just about instantly became our best player but had only been a bit-part/fringe player for them.

Edited by A96

21 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
20 hours ago, Raidernation said:
Foolishly I was never convinced by the signing of Billy Stark to replace WGS. I’d argue he was a more important part of our subsequent success than he gets credit for.

Still one of the finest footballers I ever saw play. Graceful almost balletic.

And about as much use in a 50/50 challenge as your average ballerina

On 24/04/2021 at 12:38, Stellaboz said:

Not someone I hated as I was too young to really understand that, but Andy Smith got cheered off with a broken leg just after he signed for us by some.

Turned out to be one of our greatest ever strikers. I love the guy to this day and he's in my all time Pars 11

Haha, was going to say Smith.

He was a dirty elbowing b*****d from that dirty, horrible b*****d Airdrie team (has there been a dirtier, more loathsome team) and got booed on his debut before the aforementioned broken leg.

Became a club legend and burst two Norwegian goalkeepers.