I come in peace

JOHNNYT

Everton, you say ?

You must get your supporters bus up here to visit Glenbuck Cherrypickers...for some reason they seem to have fallen from favour and they've not been mentioned in the media very much recently but they have an informative display at the entrance to the stadium which, I'm sure, your lads will find fascinating.

You'll love it.

On 22/04/2021 at 03:05, Black Pennel said:

Everton, you say ?

You must get your supporters bus up here to visit Glenbuck Cherrypickers...for some reason they seem to have fallen from favour and they've not been mentioned in the media very much recently but they have an informative display at the entrance to the stadium which, I'm sure, your lads will find fascinating.

You'll love it.

Don't listen to him - it's a trap!

On 21/04/2021 at 13:02, JOHNNYT said:

Hello everyone,

Everton fan here, after the recent European Super League debacle in England our little forum in England is looking to support a lower league team from  Scotland.

We have a poll on who to choose i just wondered if you have any recommendations and for what reason. Maybe a bit of history in the club ect.

We've decided to choose from the lower leagues. 

I'd like to link  post responses on our forum  footballforums  if that's ok.....we have a few members who travel the UK visiting as many grounds as possible and  i have recently read a book on the Scottish football grounds and found it fascinating (especially some of the pics of the old days)

My personal choice is Stranraer after holidaying there in the 80s and spending a night in the supporters club ( full of Rangers fans on their way home) had a right laugh to be fair.

One of the following we have decided to choose from, if this isn't allowed on here i apologise and maybe people can PM answers.

Dumbarton

It's got to be Dumbarton. One of the oldest professional football sides in Scotland and the UK. First ever champions of Scotland, and second ever champions of Scotland. Huge in the Victorian era. Almost signed Johann Cruyff in the 70s. Easily accessed from Glasgow Airport, the club already have an international supporters club, the Swiss Sons, and recently a Brazilian Twitter account as well. The town has been continuously populated since the bronze age. And the eponymous castle is built on top of a huge volcanic plug. It is actually a series of castles and forts built atop one another over the years. I believe it still had a garrison circa WWI or so. And since the ground is built at the foot of the castle, it is the most picturesque stadium in the mainland UK:

Capture.PNG.0e696b7145e7d11e1bf35ed6b0c33793.PNGCaptured.PNG.883261b07f789ff74e88b2accb9f631e.PNGCapturedd.PNG.03985048393ad76f9d142b6cc48000dc.PNG

6 hours ago, Sweet Pete said:

It's got to be Dumbarton. One of the oldest professional football sides in Scotland and the UK. First ever champions of Scotland, and second ever champions of Scotland. Huge in the Victorian era. Almost signed Johann Cruyff in the 70s. Easily accessed from Glasgow Airport, the club already have an international supporters club, the Swiss Sons, and recently a Brazilian Twitter account as well. The town has been continuously populated since the bronze age. And the eponymous castle is built on top of a huge volcanic plug. It is actually a series of castles and forts built atop one another over the years. I believe it still had a garrison circa WWI or so. And since the ground is built at the foot of the castle, it is the most picturesque stadium in the mainland UK:

Capture.PNG.0e696b7145e7d11e1bf35ed6b0c33793.PNGCaptured.PNG.883261b07f789ff74e88b2accb9f631e.PNGCapturedd.PNG.03985048393ad76f9d142b6cc48000dc.PNG

Don't listen to him - it's a trap.

23 hours ago, Sweet Pete said:

The rock is pretty boring TBH. They should jazz it up a bit with a huge Christ the Reedemer style statue. Although instead of having its arms outstretched like a crucifix it should be positioned to face towards the away end with both middle fingers raised.

Edited by tongue_tied_danny

On 23/04/2021 at 13:30, Sweet Pete said:

Most of that top photo is rather amazing

On 24/04/2021 at 20:02, ewan14 said:

Is the kids' phrase photoshopping ?

They're not photoshopped and the area around it is not a tip, it's all posh new houses and the like. It can be a bit cold in the ground though as the rock casts a shadow and the wind blows in off the rivers.

On 21/04/2021 at 13:02, JOHNNYT said:

Hello everyone,

Everton fan here, after the recent European Super League debacle in England our little forum in England is looking to support a lower league team from  Scotland.

We have a poll on who to choose i just wondered if you have any recommendations and for what reason. Maybe a bit of history in the club ect.

We've decided to choose from the lower leagues. 

I'd like to link  post responses on our forum  footballforums  if that's ok.....we have a few members who travel the UK visiting as many grounds as possible and  i have recently read a book on the Scottish football grounds and found it fascinating (especially some of the pics of the old days)

My personal choice is Stranraer after holidaying there in the 80s and spending a night in the supporters club ( full of Rangers fans on their way home) had a right laugh to be fair.

One of the following we have decided to choose from, if this isn't allowed on here i apologise and maybe people can PM answers.

Stranraer

Come support us. Not only do we play in blue and are closer than most of the other options, but the fans were practising social distancing at games long before it became fashionable. 

• 2 weeks later...

Peterhead are the furthest SPFL team from a train station at 30 miles. 

A little-studied town of isolated savages, long forgotten by the outside world. Even The Holy Bible hasn't been translated into their native tongue.

Great choice.

• 4 weeks later...

Arbroath is the correct answer. Gorgeous train ride up the east coast to the most coastal (surely!) stadium on Grand Britannia. The wind is constant and strong. The stadium is mostly terracing and they have, and I can't overstate this, the tastiest pie in Scottish football (steak and black pudding). 

Failing this you have my team, but we're not so lower league these days. As has been said there are great pubs close by and Glasgow and Liverpool have something of a close affinity (similar character and similar propensity for accomodating a fuckton of famine refugees in the mid 19th century).

Also, we sold you Sandy Brown in 1961, so there is that connection. 

Whomever you choose, I wish you all the best.