Partick Thistle vs Airdrieonians - Saturday 24 April

Was genuinely close to shutting the laptop in the last 5 minutes and just going for a walk rather than put myself through that. Can't really get more of a game of two halves than that. 

One more huge effort on Tuesday and we're nearly there 

Edited by Fuctifano

1 hour ago, Nightmare said:

That second half was tough to watch. Once Airdrie replaced Carrick and Roy with Connell and Thomson we basically didn't have a sniff for the rest of the game. Not sure if it was a positive tactical change on their part, or the 'Thistle getting deeper and deeper' situation that we've become very familiar with over the years. Possibly a mixture of the two.

Don't care how it was done, though. 3 points, another clean sheet and 4 points clear. If you'd told me we'd be 4 points clear with 3 games left when things resumed in March I'd have laughed you out of the room.

We're nearly there. Somehow.

I was left with the impression most of the Jags players were nearly out on their feet after about 65 minutes. The cohesion of the past few games was gone and we were getting Rudden playing the playground daftie pulling at Airdrie players. On another day that'd have resulted in a card and a bath.

Still, five games, 15 points - Jesus, what a performance. All they have to do is keep on keepin' on until Thursday night.

Edited by Dr Koop

That was a 45 minute nerve shredder. Game should have been done and buried by half time but we looked a very tired side in the 2nd half. Bell and Brownlie were magnificent. Let’s just hope the legs can last another 3 games but we now have the luxury of being able to lose a game and still be champions. Who could have believed that scenario 2/3 weeks ago!!

Edited by Sting777

We didn't look like creating much till last 10/15 mins.  

Once we did, we fell short.

Couple of suspect decisions along the way though, Turner getting booked for being  chopped down stands out.  It  made no odds tough.

2 hours ago, jagfox BLM said:

Curry is great, especially with a nice naan  bread and a cold pint of lager...

I went for my takeaway after the game and delayed my post until I had also enjoyed it and a fine lager. Thistle have just been on that improved run and they certainly controlled the 1st half and might well have been a few goals up but for our Currie. We needed to put more press on them and the 2nd half was more even, but we never really made Sneddon do anything like Currie. I thought we might have got that equaliser with that shot hitting the post. Thistle were kinda hanging on but  Tiffoney should have finished it with that counter attack. I have thought for a while that Thistle would win L1 but my optimism today got me thinking "what if" . Alas as in so many visits to Firhill it was not to be. Still got a chance for playoffs and as others said I would not have wanted to play Thistle anyway. Last season's poor decision to shut down the Leagues  has been well responded to  by Thistle eventually. I now understand why there was so much audio although I lost it and the stream a few times: and you can't always expect the commentators to know who some of our players are, but I missed the Ally Love one. On to Tuesday now and still hopeful.

2 minutes ago, cyderspaceman said:

I'm a naan man. Rice is meh. I do prefer a cider with curry though.

I believe that Naan means bread but for years I have always had my takeway guy/restuarant staff , ask if I want Naan Bread. I prefer chapatis but you are right about rice-it should always be a rice pudding with a touch of cinnamon and fair amount of sugar, baked in the oven. Years of plain Scottish meals in the 50s /early 60s has been shifted to the world of chillis and spices.  Hope I can have that chat with the guys from Montrose on Tuesday. Best wishes

Disappointed but not entirely surprised by the outcome today. Of the final 4 games, this was the one I was least confident of and it followed the same pattern as our earlier encounters - close but no cigar.

First half was all Thistle - whether it was down to nerves or something else entirely, we never looked comfortable on the ball and shelled it every time we got it. It meant we were constantly under the cosh and had Max Currie to thank for keeping it to 1-0.

We improved in the final 10 mins of the half and after a shaky first 5 mins in the second, we dominated. However, we just weren’t making the right decisions in the final third and had we nicked a point at the end, it would probably have been harsh on Thistle.

Whilst our good run has come to an abrupt end, we certainly didn’t disgrace ourselves today and still have more than enough about us to finish top 4, which is the aim.

Good luck to Thistle for the run-in and must say, their streaming service is the best in the league by a country mile - really impressive camera work and informative, objective commentary.

14 hours ago, thediamonddude said:

Disappointed but not entirely surprised by the outcome today. Of the final 4 games, this was the one I was least confident of and it followed the same pattern as our earlier encounters - close but no cigar.

First half was all Thistle - whether it was down to nerves or something else entirely, we never looked comfortable on the ball and shelled it every time we got it. It meant we were constantly under the cosh and had Max Currie to thank for keeping it to 1-0.

We improved in the final 10 mins of the half and after a shaky first 5 mins in the second, we dominated. However, we just weren’t making the right decisions in the final third and had we nicked a point at the end, it would probably have been harsh on Thistle.

Whilst our good run has come to an abrupt end, we certainly didn’t disgrace ourselves today and still have more than enough about us to finish top 4, which is the aim.

Good luck to Thistle for the run-in and must say, their streaming service is the best in the league by a country mile - really impressive camera work and informative, objective commentary.

Over the 90 minutes a would say a draw would have been fair. For the last 20 I read waiting for what up until 2 weeks ago would have been the inevitable equaliser. The difference between then and now is our work rate and stamina. Hats off to the staff and players, they seem to have come back far fitter than the first part of this season and it's made a helluva difference. Was impressed with airdrie yesterday, pressed well, kept possession much better in the 2nd half and we rode our luck. Money on them to win the play offs for me.

2 hours ago, banditjag said:

Over the 90 minutes a would say a draw would have been fair. For the last 20 I read waiting for what up until 2 weeks ago would have been the inevitable equaliser. The difference between then and now is our work rate and stamina. Hats off to the staff and players, they seem to have come back far fitter than the first part of this season and it's made a helluva difference. Was impressed with airdrie yesterday, pressed well, kept possession much better in the 2nd half and we rode our luck. Money on them to win the play offs for me.

I am not sure a draw would have been a fair result based on the number of clear cut chances. We had at least 3 over and above the goal. Did Airdrie have any ?

I am not sure a draw would have been a fair result based on the number of clear cut chances. We had at least 3 over and above the goal. Did Airdrie have any ?

I thought Thistle likely deserved to win. However Airdrie hit the post in the last minute. You’d surely call that one a clear cut chance?

1 hour ago, Airdrie76 said:

I thought Thistle likely deserved to win. However Airdrie hit the post in the last minute. You’d surely call that one a clear cut chance?

I wouldn’t say that was a clear cut chance. It was a shot through a bunch of players.  Thistles clear cut chances were Currie’s double save from Rudden/Graham; Rudden ‘s one v one or Tiffoney’s blooter over the bar in the 2nd half when the goal was open.

From what i saw, thistle were streets ahead of us but aware we were shite. I also missed a decent chunk of second half. We played absolutely no football the first half and were just firing long balls
Up field and losing possession. Thistle could have been 3 up at half time. Bit disappointing as it was a game which basically dictated whether we were in a title race or a play off race. Thistle should win it now which is a positive outcome as it means falkirk dont win it and i dont mind the thistle luvvies.