Partick Thistle vs Airdrieonians - Saturday 24 April

Well, it jas been a heck of a couple of weeks for Thistle.

Found the winning, scoring and defending habit at just the right time.

Airdrie have had a pretty good April too winning 4 out of 5 of their latest games.

We've won both games h2h this season and will be favourites on Saturday but we aren't the only team experiencing a revival in their form...

Partick Thistle 3 Airdrieonians 1

Every game will be tough from now till the end of the season and Saturday will be no exception, however we really have struck form at the right time and for the first time this season the defence looks watertight thanks especially to Steven Bell and Ricky Foster. With Rudden, Tiffoney and Graham doing the business up front and Bannigan controlling games the way he should be doing, things are looking good. We beat Airdrie comfortably the last time but for the first half hour they gave us a bit of a doing and if Wright hadn’t pulled off that double save when we were losing 1-0 the table today might look a whole lot different. Tight game expected 1-0

This should be a good game between the two form teams. Airdrie look a lot more solid with paton in the middle and mckay at right back. Turner was quite quiet last night but dont think there are many better players than him in the league so hopefully he gets on the ball more. I would like to see oconnell start instead of roy. We looked so much more dangerous when he came on. Will be a tough game.

Prediction

Partick 2-1 airdrie
Section B to virtually push 3 disabled partick fans off their wheelchairs

Airdrie were a bit unlucky to lose at Firhill at the start of the season, and the game at Airdrie flipped on the save just before the equaliser, would have been hard to see us coming back from 2-0 down so they'll feel they're due a result against us. 

Both teams have evidently improved since then but hopefully our attack gets the job done, if we keep scoring at the rate we have been that should see us up. 

Do the latest covid restrictions being lifted include pavement dancing? 

Edited by Fuctifano

Thistle a bit of a juggernaut the now, but I would be delighted to spoil the party Saturday. You imagine there might be another twist or two in the league over the run in so here's hoping; we were unfortunate not to get something at Firhill back in the second game of the season and were on top for a good half hour before the game turned in Airdrie, but Thistle did then blow us away and have gone from strength to strength recently. 

Over the last ten games we've been the two form teams and both on unbeaten runs, so it's all set up. 

Sneaky 1-2. Hopefully a dodgy penalty to maximise the seething outrage. 

57 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

Thistle a bit of a juggernaut the now, but I would be delighted to spoil the party Saturday. You imagine there might be another twist or two in the league over the run in so here's hoping; we were unfortunate not to get something at Firhill back in the second game of the season and were on top for a good half hour before the game turned in Airdrie, but Thistle did then blow us away and have gone from strength to strength recently. 

Over the last ten games we've been the two form teams and both on unbeaten runs, so it's all set up. 

Sneaky 1-2. Hopefully a dodgy penalty to maximise the seething outrage

Owen Coyle to take it and you'd see the mushroom cloud over Maryhill from Chapelhall. 

I'm genuinely excited for the first time in fuckin years (truly amazing what some form can do, and the turnaround in Rudden is stunning) but you lads have been on cracking form lately so it's not impossible that we have a wee hiccup here (anyone else remember the Brian Cassidy QOS game when we were gearing up to win Div2 under Lambie?).

5-0 Jags. Big b*****ding Brian Graham and Fuckin Goals to share the, ehm, fuckin goals.

6 minutes ago, velo army said:

Owen Coyle to take it and you'd see the mushroom cloud over Maryhill from Chapelhall. 

I'm genuinely excited for the first time in fuckin years (truly amazing what some form can do, and the turnaround in Rudden is stunning) but you lads have been on cracking form lately so it's not impossible that we have a wee hiccup here (anyone else remember the Brian Cassidy QOS game when we were gearing up to win Div2 under Lambie?).

5-0 Jags. Big b*****ding Brian Graham and Fuckin Goals to share the, ehm, fuckin goals.

😂😂

Aye, we were all for chucking it after the defeats to Peterhead, yourselves and Cove, but the turn around since then has every one of us sooked right back in. It has been some turn around for both teams, the guy Rudden seems to have lit up at the right time and I always fancied Tiffoney could be a game changing signing. Like our loanee Kyle Turner, far too good for this league.

Helps us all that Falkirk have thrown it away, losing their breathing space and then their top spot so quickly. Stunning. 

Hilarious, anawl. 

Thistle Attack has had the number of our defence in the 2 previous ties to such an extent you’ve been able to give us a goal head start and still look comfortable after a dodgy opening half hour.

Pinning all my hopes on Airdrie being able to play Turner and Paton and win the midfield battle.

A win would give us a real bit of excitement to end the season but on the evidence of previous games, there’s not too much cause for optimism.

Good to have an Thistle v Airdrie match with both teams in form and a lot riding on it though.

Airdrie 3-2 - Ally Roy Hattrick!

It's a real shame that we can't attend this as what a day out it would have been. Drinking in the west end before and afterwards (and maybe during depending on how the game is going) watching the two form teams battle it out in the spring sunshine (hopefully). Exactly what you want from the football. Since Kyle Turner came into, and remained, in the side, Airdrie have looked the best they've been all season. Since it's Airdrie, and more specifically Ian Murray's Airdrie though, I'm just waiting it on it all spectacularly falling apart. And a defeat on Saturday could well see that happen. We have nothing to fear though and, as well as playing the best football we have all season, we've shown a real battling quality and strong mentality in the last few games. The polar opposite of the collapse against Thistle at New Broomfield actually. Which will hopefully mean a competitive and tight game even if we fall behind. I'm not confident enough to predict an Airdrie win but I think we can go into it reasonably optimistic and, like I said above, with nothing to fear. Hopefully an away win to make the run-in even more interesting for every team involved. 

I think Ally Roy’s goal in the last game is the only time we’ve conceded while Steven Bell has been on the pitch, which is a no bad effort for him. 

Tiffoney had a shocker last night, but I think he and Rudden will cause plenty of problems for Airdrie. Get Cardle in for Gordon, other than that go with the same again for me.

2-0 Thistle.

Last night and this game are the first times I've really wanted to be at game this year.

Looks like I'll have to make do with topping a few Section B pensioners into the Nolly...

If we win this on Saturday we've got a serious chance of winning the league. Lose and it's playoffs at best. It really is that big a game. I thought the 2-1 at Firhill was a pretty even match if I'm honest and although we totally collapsed in the last game we started well and were unlucky not to be 2-0 up right before Thistle equalised. We're on a good run now so the players should be full of confidence and we have Turner available who clearly makes us a far better side. The bookies will tell you Thistle are favourites and that's fair enough, but if we turn up and play like we have been the last few games then I fancy our chances. Should be a cracker.

3 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Tiffoney had a shocker last night

To be fair to the lad I wouldn’t say he had a shocker. Was by far his most ineffective game for us, but I feel because he has made such a good impact we hold him to higher standards. 

Hopefully he is back on it for Saturday and as you said he and Rudden can cause Airdrie issues.

Had a look at the airdrie team last time we lost 4-2. Obviously the big difference is turner in the middle. Even bigger is that it should mean jack mckay doesnt play. Plus robert started and i assume either roy or oconnell will start instead.

Additionally, it was not long after the restart so took airdrie a while to get going. Thistle seem to be the same.

So it will be a different airdrie side but thistle still clear favourites

3 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Say what you want about Airdrie fans but you're the one using the murder of a black man by police for a snidey wee comment on a football forum

I had the misfortune to encounter a group of Airdrie fans at Italia 90.

They were a bunch of c***s.

I'm sure they aren't all the same.

17 minutes ago, cyderspaceman said:

I had the misfortune to encounter a group of Airdrie fans at Italia 90.

They were a bunch of c***s.

I'm sure they aren't all the same.

What were you doing at an England game anyway?