Fight for 2nd Place - Dundee vs Raith - 24th April.

If Dundee want the points from this game then they'll have to go for the Rovers from the start. This might be what we want as we sit back soak up the pressure and hit them on the break. Otherwise the usual pass along the back to try and draw them out. I'll settle for a draw. 😉

Really hope we can get the point we need but its hard to be too confident after the display at Alloa (and the main reason for that - having so many key players out). We really need a couple back to have a real chance. 

Finishing second really is massive for us. Not only do we miss a tie by finishing second, we also get an additional week without a game. And is we secure second this Saturday, that would mean the hearts game is a dead rubber too, which would give us a much better chance of actually having our best team fit for the P/O games to really allow us to give it a proper go.

Nervy 90 minutes ahead. Heart 1-1. Head 2-0.

Raith really deserve second place. There’s so much to admire about the San Starko men’s season and you’d fancy their chances Dross Cunty.
However football is a cruel mistress and you can see injuries to a small squad finally taking their toll. Us to nick it by a fluke goal and the implosion completed against Hearts.

The play-offs are a virtual no-win situation for us. If McPake somehow flukes us through them, whoever finishes 11th in the Prem will easily beat us over two legs. If he somehow flukes that, christ. The thought of him managing us in the top division gives me the absolute fear. Surely even Nelms would realise he's not cut out for that?

The play-offs are a virtual no-win situation for us. If McPake somehow flukes us through them, whoever finishes 11th in the Prem will easily beat us over two legs. If he somehow flukes that, christ. The thought of him managing us in the top division gives me the absolute fear. Surely even Nelms would realise he's not cut out for that?
Reminds me of us when we had Barry Smith when we bottled it against Alloa in 3 consecutive games. Had we gone up, we'd have likely come right back down.

Personally I’m absolutely buzzing for Saturday, and I do have a good feeling about it. However that good feeling can quickly f*ck off, if the team sheet at 2:10pm is remotely close to last weekend’s.
Macca, I reckon will be back, based on he was on the bench at Alloa.
Mosunda will hopefully be back, takes away Cummins ripping Davo daft/Davo gifting him chances (like he did against Alloa).
Matthews, if he’s back - great, if not, ok, midfield has been fine the last few weeks, but would add that bit steel.
Vaughan/Goooollan, ideally they’re fit enough to play ~65-70mins. And can then be rested vs. Hertz, ready to go for the Playoffs.

(False) Optimism is pretty high here, 1-2.

2 hours ago, Fifespud said:

Raith really deserve second place. There’s so much to admire about the San Starko men’s season and you’d fancy their chances Dross Cunty.
However football is a cruel mistress and you can see injuries to a small squad finally taking their toll. Us to nick it by a fluke goal and the implosion completed against Hearts.

The squad size is actually really good.  It's the players who are out which could scupper us.  Musonda, Mcdonald, Vaughan, Gullan and Matthews all feature in our strongest lineup (ie the one that hammered Dunfermline and ran Livi close).  The lineup of the past week is average championship, and will see us struggle for 2nd place/promotion. 

Not to labour the point because we all know the situation but in normal circumstances this would have been a fantastic day out.

Dundee is a good city for an away day and we would have taken a big crowd through. Packed trains through from Kirkcaldy reminiscent of the Scottish Cup Quarter Final back in 2010. Some games are easier than others to watch on streams but games likes this really do give you a big feeling of disappointment missing out. 

Impossible to make a prediction on this game until we see the injury situation. If MacDonald, Musonda, Matthews, Vaughan and Gullan are back I’d fancy our chances of getting at least the draw required but if most of them remain out it will be a tough day.

20 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

Not to labour the point because we all know the situation but in normal circumstances this would have been a fantastic day out.

Dundee is a good city for an away day and we would have taken a big crowd through. Packed trains through from Kirkcaldy reminiscent of the Scottish Cup Quarter Final back in 2010. Some games are easier than others to watch on streams but games likes this really do give you a big feeling of disappointment missing out. 

Impossible to make a prediction on this game until we see the injury situation. If MacDonald, Musonda, Matthews, Vaughan and Gullan are back I’d fancy our chances of getting at least the draw required but if most of them remain out it will be a tough day.

Aye me and the boys were chatting about that this week as well. With what’s at stake/how the table is the atmosphere before the game and at kick off would have been electric. Fucking pandemic b*****d. 

The away end in 2010 was bouncing. Feel genuinely really sorry for the literally hundreds that were still queuing and missed our two goals! Wild celebrations!

30 minutes ago, HIT THE CHANNEL said:

Aye me and the boys were chatting about that this week as well. With what’s at stake/how the table is the atmosphere before the game and at kick off would have been electric. Fucking pandemic b*****d. 

The away end in 2010 was bouncing. Feel genuinely really sorry for the literally hundreds that were still queuing and missed our two goals! Wild celebrations!

The only time I've ever seen a decent Raith away support, what happened to them all?

Thank you.

3 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

On the flipside, Ross Cunty are absolutely awful. I think no matter how bad 2nd - 4th are, any of us could give them a game.  

But yeah, McPake managing in the Prem is terrifying. 

Can people genuinely see us coming out with a net positive result vs Inverness/Dunfermline AND THEN Raith over a period of 4 games before getting to the Prem side? 

Bold shouts IMO.

28 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Can people genuinely see us coming out with a net positive result vs Inverness/Dunfermline AND THEN Raith over a period of 4 games before getting to the Prem side? 

Bold shouts IMO.

We’ve played 8 games against the sides you’ve mentioned: 2 wins, 5 draws, 1 loss. Haven’t yet lost to Dunfermline or ICT. It’s not inconceivable that we can get through.

Edited by RossDee01

Personally I’m absolutely buzzing for Saturday, and I do have a good feeling about it. However that good feeling can quickly f*ck off, if the team sheet at 2:10pm is remotely close to last weekend’s.
Macca, I reckon will be back, based on he was on the bench at Alloa.
Mosunda will hopefully be back, takes away Cummins ripping Davo daft/Davo gifting him chances (like he did against Alloa).
Matthews, if he’s back - great, if not, ok, midfield has been fine the last few weeks, but would add that bit steel.
Vaughan/Goooollan, ideally they’re fit enough to play ~65-70mins. And can then be rested vs. Hertz, ready to go for the Playoffs.

(False) Optimism is pretty high here, 1-2.

On the injury front, Jamie Gullan is set to return and Kieron MacDonald might be ready to start after making the bench against Alloa.

McGlynn says Frankie Musonda remains a doubt, though, with Lewis Vaughan and Ross Matthews both ruled out.
- from Fife Today.

16 minutes ago, RossDee01 said:

We’ve played 8 games against the sides you’ve mentioned: 2 wins, 5 draws, 1 loss. Haven’t yet lost to Dunfermline or ICT. It’s not inconceivable that we can get through.

Do the playoffs have the away goals rule? I seem to remember they don't, but not 100%.

As I said on a different thread, I can't see us beating either Dunfermline or ICT away, but could sneak draws there. Coupled with the possibility of narrow wins at Dens. Am more confident about beating Raith over two legs, no real logical reason why

48 minutes ago, Spikethedee said:

Do the playoffs have the away goals rule? I seem to remember they don't, but not 100%.

As I said on a different thread, I can't see us beating either Dunfermline or ICT away, but could sneak draws there. Coupled with the possibility of narrow wins at Dens. Am more confident about beating Raith over two legs, no real logical reason why

I don’t think there is an away goal rule, no.

3 hours ago, R.R.FC said:

That was some crowd you’s brought through that day. Walked in the ground 15 minutes before kick off and the away end was near full and bouncing. Writing was on the wall as soon as I seen that. 🤦🏻‍♂️

3 hours ago, R.R.FC said:

A very interesting point.

For much of this season I genuinely think the lack of fans has helped us overall. The type of football we played and the youngish nature of the squad I think has generally benefitted from not having to put up with the panic merchants in the south stand getting on their case for a wee misplaced pass or loss of a soft goal trying to play the ball on the deck.

However.... this Saturday would've been totally different. Nice weather forecast, a draw required to secure second... we would've taken 3000 plus up there and had the place absolutely bouncing. I'd have been super confident we would get what we need had the supporters been allowed in and I'm genuinely gutted I'm not going to experience it 😞.