The Greatest Sports Documentaries Ever - A List

AgainstAllOdds

Some other from BT Sport or Sky Sports that I don't think have been mentioned:

• 89 - Story of Arsenal's 1988/89 season, culminating in game at Anfield.
  • Everton, Howard's Way - Covering the period when they were at their peak in mid-eighties.
  • Team of the Eighties - Malcolm Allison and Terry Venables and their transformation of Crystal Palace in the late seventies. 
  • Brothers in Football - One of the most remarkable tales, focusing on an amateur English side and one of the biggest teams in South America. Really incredible story plays out before your eyes. 

8 minutes ago, ac2907 said:

The Three Kings is an excellent watch, part football and part social history. Bill Shankly, what a man.

Everything Jonny Owen does in football documentaries is absolutely must watch material, his biopic of Brian Clough's European Cup triumph at Nottingham Forest 'I Believe in Miracles' is one of the best of its type I have ever seen. 

Did you know he is the partner of Line of Duty actress Vicky 'Kate Fleming' McLure?  Well you do now....

• 1 month later...

The most recent Last Chance U (the basketball one) was very, very good. The American Football ones are excellent as well, but the basketball one is the superior of the four, IMO.

Legendary Nights: Gatti v Ward is my favourite ever sports documentary. A fantastic piece on the greatest boxing trilogy in history. Jim Lampley is the boxing commentary GOAT.

The Two Escobar's from BT Sport is really good.

My personal favourite is The Battered b*****ds Of Baseball. Kurt Russell's dad takes over a second tier team in Portland and has open trials for the team , the characters that turn up are great. 

• 5 months later...
On 03/06/2021 at 22:10, saint dave said:

The Two Escobar's from BT Sport is really good.

My personal favourite is The Battered b*****ds Of Baseball. Kurt Russell's dad takes over a second tier team in Portland and has open trials for the team , the characters that turn up are great. 

The 2 Escobars is great.

Senna is very good

There was one on channel 4 years ago, the late 90s i think (Anyone remember it) about Romario returning to his old club side in Brazil after winning world cup in USA.They end up in a 2 game cup final where its shown as if the whole Brazil stops to watch from the favelas watching with balacalvas and machines guns in front of tv to the super rich watching from penthouses in the sky. Romario wins the final match and is being mobbed and interviewed after being asked some standard question every player gets asked as hes leaving the pitch utters the immortal and humble line. "There are many Kings in this world but there is only one god, I am Romario I am god"

Edited by BigDoddyKane