The Greatest Sports Documentaries Ever - A List

AgainstAllOdds

I came across this list of sporting documentaries and thought it was worth posting here - https://bitedge.com/blog/best-sports-documentaries/

A few corkers in there, especially Senna and Salute which are well worth a watch if you have the time.

Surprised they missed out Four Year Plan (the QPR behind-the-scenes one) and Diego Maradona.

Any others you'd add to this? 

Really enjoyed watching these and would love to continue with more high quality sports docs!

BT Sport and ESPN have done quite a few good ones 

Too Good to go Down, the tale of the decline of Man Utd post Matt Busby and their subsequent relegation in 1974 and gradual recovery under Tommy Docherty. 

Two Tribes, about the two great sides, Liverpool and Everton of the 1980's amidst the juxtaposition of the social and economical crises that was the city of Liverpool then and how the success of the football teams along with some marvellous musical, acting and playwriting talent saved the sanity of the cities people amidst the backdrop of industrial decline, riots, migration from the city, the militant Labour group being ostracized from the party and tragedies such as Heysel and Hillsborough. Brilliant contributions in particular from Derek Hatton, Pete Wylie and David Morrisey.

Also some pretty brilliant biopics of Jimmy Greaves and the Wimbledon 'Crazy Gang' in recent years by BT Sport. 

Edited by Flybhoy

16 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Too Good to go Down, the tale of the decline of Man Utd post Matt Busby and their subsequent relegation in 1974 and gradual recovery under Tommy Docherty. 

Two Tribes, about the two great sides, Liverpool and Everton of the 1980's amidst the juxtaposition of the social and economical crises that was the city of Liverpool then and how the success of the football teams along with some marvellous musical, acting and playwriting talent saved the sanity of the cities people amidst the backdrop of industrial decline, riots, migration from the city, the militant Labour group being ostracized from the party and tragedies such as Heysel and Hillsborough. Brilliant contributions in particular from Derek Hatton, Pete Wylie and David Morrisey.

Also some pretty brilliant biopics of Jimmy Greaves and the Wimbledon 'Crazy Gang' in recent years by BT Sport. 

Brilliant thanks, will add these to my list. 

Yes, the ESPN ones on the list in the original post are all really enjoyable. The 30 for 30 series they put together really delivered some great content, which I would recommend if you haven't already seen. There's a lot of American sport stories, but knowing little about these sports meant I didn't know the ending (in some cases) and was gripped. 

Outside of football ones, ESPN's 30 for 30 docs are usually top notch. My definite favourite of the bunch though is 'Four Days In October', about the first 3-0 comeback in baseball playoffs history, between big rivals Boston Red Sox and New York Yankees.

1 hour ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

My definite favourite of the bunch though is 'Four Days In October', about the first 3-0 comeback in baseball playoffs history, between big rivals Boston Red Sox and New York Yankees.

I haven't watched this one, but agree the series is really well done. Sonicsgate was my favourite from the ones I have watched. It shows how the Seattle SuperSonics came under new ownership and were pushed towards a move to Oklahoma City. The legal battle and fan reaction (and sheer audacity of the owners) makes it a thriller. 

1 hour ago, ArabGaz said:

I’m not a rugby fan but ‘Living with Lions’ about the ‘97 British Lions tour to South Africa is excellent. 

Anything with behind-the-scenes style footage always looks good to me!

1 hour ago, dundeefc1783 said:

I believe in miracles about Nottingham Forest is a great watch. Brian Clough was some man

Brian Clough was a hero on so many levels - the stories about him are always hilarious. The Damned United was brilliant - I thought Michael Sheen played him superbly (although I do realise this is a film and not a documentary).

"TT closer to the edge" the film that shot Guy Martin to fame is a brilliant insight to the mad world of the Isle of Man TT but do yourself a favour and watch "Road" first  It is just a average documentary until the last 15mins which is something else  P.S just make sure you get the correct film it is the 1 about the Dunlops not the sci-fi one!

I enjoyed "Next goal wins" about the world's worst international team (not Scotland) American Samoa.

"The Impossible Job" about Graham Taylor's time as England manager was also rather entertaining back in the day.. 

On 20/04/2021 at 15:35, Flybhoy said:

Too Good to Go Down was fascinating. Docherty was on a real upswing and they sacked him for getting tatters deep into the physio's wife. If they'd kept him on they might have won the league in the early 80s.

3 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Too Good to Go Down was fascinating. Docherty was on a real upswing and they sacked him for getting tatters deep into the physio's wife. If they'd kept him on they might have won the league in the early 80s.

All the more bizarre that Tommy Docherty got so much out of his players given the fact everyone of them interviewed on this, and a few others I recall seemed to absolutely fucking despise him, pretty sure one of them (Willie Morgan? ) and him ended up in court in a libel case.

Can only assume the Doc was a master tactician because, it has to be said I seriously doubt his people skills were up to much that could motivate players in the manner of Clough, Ferguson  and Shankly.