Energy Drinks

2 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

That stuff is absolutely mental. I don’t have a huge caffeine tolerance, and most I’ll have is a couple of coffees in one day (if I haven’t eaten enough sometimes a second coffee puts me on edge), but I had a proper Turkish coffee once and was absolutely wired for hours afterwards. Absolutely horrendous feeling, and stomach in turmoil.

I've got the wee pot for making it, but the Turkish grocers aren't on my normal shopping schedule and it doesn't work well with my shitey ceramic hob so i've not used it in a while. This thread is inspiring me though. 

Orange lucozade is my go to when I have man flu. Gets me through a couple of days at work if I am struggling.

I really like the taste of red bull, will get a can of it maybe once every few months when I am at a petrol station first thing in the morning and I'm needing a kick up the arse before work. Otherwise I don't go near the stuff. Pretty extortionate too.

Not a coffee or morning person so I normally get out of zombie mode in work about 11am.

On 20 April 2021 at 13:36, Sweet Pete said:

Does anyone on here indulge in energy drinks? I've found myself having them lately as a bit of a fad the past couple of months. Usually zero sugar Monster, sugar free Red Bull or sour apple flavour Reign, but have had others too. Never been a big one for energy drinks or even coffee or caffeine stimulants, but of late I've taken to having one in the afternoon a few times a week. Can't say I've noticed much effect from them, but I don't have more than one so that's possibly why. I did once try an "energy shot" and within about a minute had sweats, p***kled skin, hair standing on end and a horrible edgy feeling that took about 20 minutes to pass. It was some super high caffeine stuff designed for pre-workouts. Never made that mistake again.

I've seen quite a few anecdotal stories of people becoming "hooked" on energy drinks, getting heart palpitations or even liver problems from overuse.

Anyone on here ever overdone it on the Red Bull and ended up with a heart attack? Should these high caffeine stimulant drinks be regulated? Discuss.

Started about two months ago.

Completely hooked, found out you could buy them 4 for a pound.

Thought nothing about until i mentioned to a mate i was drinking 12 of them day.

Kicked them into touch.

Eff it, back to the Buckfast.

34 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

Looks like there's a bit of an attitude towards energy drinks and their drinkers, but plenty of caffeine addicted coffee drinkers. Interesting.

Which is fair. Coffee can be incredible. Energy drinks are just sugary, chemical laden shite. Only fuckin chemicals? No fuckin way.

4 minutes ago, Tutankhamen said:

Thought nothing about until i mentioned to a mate i was drinking 12 of them day.

I'd be asking myself questions if it was 12 a week, never mind a day.

How could anybody not suspect there was something wrong there?  :huh:

1 minute ago, Hedgecutter said:

I'd be asking myself questions if it was 12 a week, never mind a day.

How could anybody not suspect there was something wrong there?  :huh:

Assuming 330ml cans, that's just about 4 litres worth a day. I don't know how it's possible to consume that much liquid in a day.

1 minute ago, mathematics said:

Only fuckin chemicals? No fuckin way.

Right...

Is it  "all them fuckin chemicals", "all they fuckin' chemicals" or "all the fuckin' chemicals"  :unsure2:

I always thought it was 'they', in proper East Coast fashion.

1 minute ago, Hedgecutter said:

Right...

Is it  "all them fuckin chemicals", "all they fuckin' chemicals" or "all the fuckin' chemicals"  :unsure2:

I always thought it was 'they', in proper East Coast fashion.

Internet says “all the fucking chemicals”, but what does the internet know.

5 minutes ago, mathematics said:

Internet says “all the fucking chemicals”, but what does the internet know.

Nobody writing down film scripts without prior knowledge of the Scottish grammatical use of 'they' would ever consider this.  Certainly sounds like 'they' though...

Should start at the bit (4:27)

2 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Not a smoker myself really but always found it accentuates whatever you're on. Mixing coke and ket doesn't sound like a good time although I know for a fact I was at a gaff recently where folk were doing that. Think I bailed before I could see how that panned out.

A key of each is a good dunt on a dancefloor. 

1 hour ago, Sweet Pete said:

Looks like there's a bit of an attitude towards energy drinks and their drinkers, but plenty of caffeine addicted coffee drinkers. Interesting.

I think coffee can have a degree of sophistication to it. Nobody's drinking energy drinks without looking a little bit low class.

4 minutes ago, Detournement said:

A key of each is a good dunt on a dancefloor. 

Mind hitting that once in the Rooms and thought I was in Edinburgh for the rest of the night.

I was in Lidl the other day and was tempted to buy an energy drink they have called Kong, 29p a go. The Tyson one only seems to be in Polish shops in Edinburgh, I think they even put it in the Polish section of Sanisburys.

I’ve had Turkish coffee in Turkish Cyprus and its fantastic but it’s not an everyday, slonk it at your desk type of drink. You have to sit and appreciate it, have a glass of water afterwards. Also, I took sugar in it and I never take sugar in anything but that stuff really needs it.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

I was in Lidl the other day and was tempted to buy an energy drink they have called Kong, 29p a go. The Tyson one only seems to be in Polish shops in Edinburgh, I think they even put it in the Polish section of Sanisburys.

I’ve had Turkish coffee in Turkish Cyprus and its fantastic but it’s not an everyday, slonk it at your desk type of drink. You have to sit and appreciate it, have a glass of water afterwards. Also, I took sugar in it and I never take sugar in anything but that stuff really needs it.

I think that’s enough living on the edge - you have a young family to look after.

I like to think I'm not a particularly judgemental person but I will admit to being a bit weirded out by people who think ingesting a can of sugar and chemicals is a good thing. 

I'm a strict two coffees a day type guy. Whilst we are on the subject, tea is foosty water consumed exclusively by beasts. 

I’ve rarely had energy drinks. Usually I’ll have one if I’m travelling long distance early in the morning like an airport trip.

I once had monster flavoured ice cream which was fucking horrendous.