No voting, Tory Aberdeen V The Best Team in Scotland (Wed 21st April)

Even thou Celtic played shite it was a decent game to watch both teams missed sitters with the odd mad moment.
Brown giving the ball to Ferguson hitting the post and Hayes header was unlucky.
Celtic are easy to play against when we have no width giving Dembele 10 minutes instead  of 30 was a mistake plus not going two up top when we need a goal.

Great performance last night from Marley Hendry...................certainly until, as was mentioned, the team ran out of steam a bit in the middle part of the match.

Early benefits from working with Russell?...............as I hadn't seen that level of hold up play in him previously, and on that evidence is worth a speculative enquiry down Perth way for a longer-term move.

4 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

So many positives to take out of last night. 

The high press for the first 30 minutes was excellent, and it had Celtic rattled. We ran out of legs though for the next 30 minutes or so and only really recovered control when McGeough came on. 

There were good performances all over the park, but special mention for Ramsey...who looks a real star in the making....and Ferguson, who pushed much further forward and had his best game in months. 

As mentioned above, I thought Hendry was excellent in the first half, and Kamberi put in a great shift in the second half. 

We rode our luck in spells, but you'll always have to do that against the OF....even a team as relatively poor as Celtic. Ferguson had a glorious chance to make it safe, and I bet he didn't sleep much last night thinking about that. 

The last 15 minutes were as comfortable as I've seen Aberdeen against Cletic in years. McGeough was excellent in front of the defence, and Celtic had completely run out of ideas until we gave the guy far too much room to cross the ball. 

Still, if this is the start of the future under Glass, I'm a happy man. There was much much more positivity, aggression and snap about the side. The players actually looked like they were enjoying playing football.

On to Sunday then...we owe these Arabs a doing. 

I agree Ramsay looks like he is a star in the making, I love the confidence he has on the ball. Got to admit though, I thought Elyonoussi had him on toast for a significant period. That defensive nous can be trained into him though, and I have no doubt he'll go on to be a fantastic player.

Mackenzie is a different animal. I've seen enough to convince me he should be our starting left back. The way he completely nullified Celtic's supposed wunderkind was wonderfully pleasing.

56 minutes ago, Illgresi said:

I agree Ramsay looks like he is a star in the making, I love the confidence he has on the ball. Got to admit though, I thought Elyonoussi had him on toast for a significant period. That defensive nous can be trained into him though, and I have no doubt he'll go on to be a fantastic player.

Mackenzie is a different animal. I've seen enough to convince me he should be our starting left back. The way he completely nullified Celtic's supposed wunderkind was wonderfully pleasing.

Ramsay and Kennedy were not working together too well defensively, but I couldn't really tell whether it was a bit of inexperience from Ramsay or if Kennedy wasn't helping him well enough. Mackenzie certainly looked solid on the left, I'm much happier with him there than Hayes.

2 hours ago, Illgresi said:

Considine did say MacKenzie is the best 1 v 1 defender at the club.

1 hour ago, Flammable sheep said:

Ramsay and Kennedy were not working together too well defensively, but I couldn't really tell whether it was a bit of inexperience from Ramsay or if Kennedy wasn't helping him well enough. Mackenzie certainly looked solid on the left, I'm much happier with him there than Hayes.

In defence of Kennedy he just looked completely fucked.

If Hayes is to play I'd rather it's further up the park. Don't think he has the legs to keep to his pace for 90 minutes up and down the park. A couple of years ago McGregor gets nowhere near him at the end.

7 hours ago, tarapoa said:

Great performance last night from Marley Hendry...................certainly until, as was mentioned, the team ran out of steam a bit in the middle part of the match.

Worth mentioning he had the odd game like that for us, where the ball was glued to his foot and he could spray passes about, he just couldn't do it consistently.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Worth mentioning he had the odd game like that for us, where the ball was glued to his foot and he could spray passes about, he just couldn't do it consistently.

That's always the possibility given he's been used sparingly. I must admit though, I've been anywhere from mildly to very impressed every time I've seen him play.

Just now, Illgresi said:

That's always the possibility given he's been used sparingly. I must admit though, I've been anywhere from mildly to very impressed every time I've seen him play.

Yeah hes a good footballer, in terms of technical ability.

He just can't score goals anymore, and his lack of discipline became a major issue. We've gone back to a front two this season so would guess we'll want him back in the Summer for another go at it, zero idea what sort of money would be needed to make it permanent.

15 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah hes a good footballer, in terms of technical ability.

He just can't score goals anymore, and his lack of discipline became a major issue. We've gone back to a front two this season so would guess we'll want him back in the Summer for another go at it, zero idea what sort of money would be needed to make it permanent.

Sounds like he’s benefiting from better management.

13 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Sounds like he’s benefiting from better management.

In all seriousness, we were a mess earlier this season for a spell with everyone trying to learn the new system. Hendry was our only fit striker and probably had more pressure on him than he shouldve. 

Could see in some games how down he was about his misses etc., so its good that he's possibly recovering some confidence. If he's actually started listening and learning off coaches then he could go far.

Guest Bob Mahelp

Hendry came into the club at an almost impossibly difficult time, but his attitude has been spot on. He's a decent player and hasn't let himself or the team down when he's played. 

That said, I'm not sure that he's quite the level of striker that Glass will be looking for. Nothing against him, but I'd imagine that we're looking at just a level above where he is right now. 

12 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Hendry came into the club at an almost impossibly difficult time, but his attitude has been spot on. He's a decent player and hasn't let himself or the team down when he's played. 

That said, I'm not sure that he's quite the level of striker that Glass will be looking for. Nothing against him, but I'd imagine that we're looking at just a level above where he is right now. 

Agree. I don't think we'd pay a fee for him. I think we'd probably take a punt if he was free, but certainly only as a backup at the moment.

That said, the chat is they've offered Anderson a new deal, so he'll like be the main backup next season if he signs it.

16 hours ago, Illgresi said:

Agree. I don't think we'd pay a fee for him. I think we'd probably take a punt if he was free, but certainly only as a backup at the moment.

That said, the chat is they've offered Anderson a new deal, so he'll like be the main backup next season if he signs it.

From what I've seen so far, I have more confidence that Hendry would be a useful squad member than Anderson.

Again, Anderson could benefit from the new management regime, style of football and dedicated strikers coach - but I still fully expect him to playing Championship fitba (in Scotland) within a couple of years..........but would love to be wrong about that.

7 hours ago, tarapoa said:

From what I've seen so far, I have more confidence that Hendry would be a useful squad member than Anderson.

Again, Anderson could benefit from the new management regime, style of football and dedicated strikers coach - but I still fully expect him to playing Championship fitba (in Scotland) within a couple of years..........but would love to be wrong about that.

Would have to agree with that. Hendry had a decent enough game against Celtic and is capable of more contribution in the build up play than Anderson. Those type of games swallow Anderson up.