No voting, Tory Aberdeen V The Best Team in Scotland (Wed 21st April)

Just now, Leith Green said:

Seriously? Ooft. Sparkys goal really triggered you lot, eh?

If you mean, are we disappointed that we didn’t hold out for another 20 seconds to beat Celtic, then you would be correct. I’m not sure if you realise that you are on the Aberdeen v Celtic match thread, but I would have thought that you may have expected some Aberdeen fans on here discussing what happened at the match, which included a goal with the last touch of the match.  I haven’t been on the Hibs v Livingston match thread. Is it busy?

1 minute ago, kingjoey said:

If you mean, are we disappointed that we didn’t hold out for another 20 seconds to beat Celtic, then you would be correct. I’m not sure if you realise that you are on the Aberdeen v Celtic match thread, but I would have thought that you may have expected some Aberdeen fans on here discussing what happened at the match, which included a goal with the last touch of the match.  I haven’t been on the Hibs v Livingston match thread. Is it busy?

I'm commenting on your ridiculous and pathetic sour grapes at our penalty.

Not one Livi fan even suggested it was anything other than a foul, but here we have 2 Aberdeen fans whingeing about "cHeEtur boYle" diving.

Pathetic but predictable.

5 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Not one Livi fan even suggested it was anything other than a foul, but here we have 2 Aberdeen fans whingeing about "cHeEtur boYle" diving.

Actually, a livi poster on the match thread did complain about Boyle diving...

You must have missed that post by Crispy on the match thread, hanging out here obsessing over the Dons...

The way I see it, Hibs have to beat St. Johnstone at home (who held the all conquering ***), and that makes it all but impossible for us. The Saintees* can still finish 5th, and get into Europe, provided the swashbuckling (and frankly deserving) Dons beat Livi...oops...just did. 🤭

If Hibs and Aberdeen win in the next round of fixtures, there's a 6 point gap, and an 11 goal gap currently. A 5-0 win would help, and at home as well.... It'd be nice to think it'll come down to the last game, and see Celtic pump they crowd.

I'd rather save our perormance to beat the **** in the final.

*Or buddies? I'm never sure?

I think it’s a nonsense but I’d imagine collum is thinking it’s not ‘excessive force or brutality’ from turnbull, similar to Morelos and McKenna a few years ago. 

I mean, volleying someone off the ball seems to me like an automatic red every day of the week but the rules may suggest otherwise. You could argue that it wasn’t too vicious a swipe at mcgeouch. 

54 minutes ago, CCB19035 said:

It wouldn't have been a red card 20 years ago. 

However, the whistles went, play has stopped, and it's just a petulant kick. 

The same with McGregor on Hayes, it's quite soft as there's minimal contact, but every other week we see them given as red cards. 

Why last night was any different, I'm not too sure. 

Can't say I'm bothered about the Hayes one, other than the nagging suspicion if it was the other way the outcome would be different.

14 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Can't say I'm bothered about the Hayes one, other than the nagging suspicion if it was the other way the outcome would be different.

That’s pretty much my thought on it. I didn’t think it was a penalty or a foul but would expect Gollum to have flashed a red and given a foul if it was the other way round. Same with Turnbull incident. If that is McGeouch kicking out at Turnbull he would have been off. 

8 hours ago, Leith Green said:

You need a thicker skin if you can’t take your team being criticised by opposition supporters own their own match thread. 

Saying all of that on certain decisions I actually thought Collum was alright last night, generally.

On Callum Hendry, if Sam Cosgrove could do the basics of hold up play like Hendry then he might have had a chance of being a really good player. Hendry was superb at getting us up the pitch in the first half.

Just now, CCB19035 said:

Hayes was clean through, McGregor put a hand over is shoulder and it took him over. 

It's a red and a foul every day of the week. 

Collum fucked us. They were lucky not to finish with 9. 

I disagree on that particular incident. Sorry.

7 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Saying all of that on certain decisions I actually thought Collum was alright last night, generally.

On Callum Hendry, if Sam Cosgrove could do the basics of hold up play like Hendry then he might have had a chance of being a really good player. Hendry was superb at getting us up the pitch in the first half.

I be grown to like Willie Collum over the past few years, really since he made three horrific decisions at Hamilton a few years back. Just think he made two obvious big errors last night, but these things happen, mainly to us recently it seems.

Both me and my son watching the match last night thought that Callum Hendry had a superb first half. He was holding the ball up, he was able to run with it, and as you say he was influential in getting Aberdeen towards the Celtic goal. But in the second half he seemed to disappear when we were playing to hit on the break.

4 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Both me and my son watching the match last night thought that Callum Hendry had a superb first half. He was holding the ball up, he was able to run with it, and as you say he was influential in getting Aberdeen towards the Celtic goal. But in the second half he seemed to disappear when we were playing to hit on the break.

In that horrendous period after Watkins got injured and we persisted with Main/Cosgrove it was so striking how everytime the ball went into our forward line it just came straight back at us as neither of them could do the basics of retaining possession. Hendry showed the value of it last night.

16 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I thought he had a really good game. Unfortunately we didn't take any of the chances that came from his good play. On another day we could have scored four last night. Not a criticism but shows that they've been working hard on improving things in the final third.

2 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I thought he had a really good game. Unfortunately we didn't take any of the chances that came from his good play. On another day we could have scored four last night. Not a criticism but shows that they've been working hard on improving things in the final third.

Think it would be a fair criticism of Ferguson that he should have had more than one!

Guest Bob Mahelp

So many positives to take out of last night. 

The high press for the first 30 minutes was excellent, and it had Celtic rattled. We ran out of legs though for the next 30 minutes or so and only really recovered control when McGeough came on. 

There were good performances all over the park, but special mention for Ramsey...who looks a real star in the making....and Ferguson, who pushed much further forward and had his best game in months. 

As mentioned above, I thought Hendry was excellent in the first half, and Kamberi put in a great shift in the second half. 

We rode our luck in spells, but you'll always have to do that against the OF....even a team as relatively poor as Celtic. Ferguson had a glorious chance to make it safe, and I bet he didn't sleep much last night thinking about that. 

The last 15 minutes were as comfortable as I've seen Aberdeen against Cletic in years. McGeough was excellent in front of the defence, and Celtic had completely run out of ideas until we gave the guy far too much room to cross the ball. 

Still, if this is the start of the future under Glass, I'm a happy man. There was much much more positivity, aggression and snap about the side. The players actually looked like they were enjoying playing football.

On to Sunday then...we owe these Arabs a doing. 

18 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

So many positives to take out of last night. 

The high press for the first 30 minutes was excellent, and it had Celtic rattled. We ran out of legs though for the next 30 minutes or so and only really recovered control when McGeough came on. 

There were good performances all over the park, but special mention for Ramsey...who looks a real star in the making....and Ferguson, who pushed much further forward and had his best game in months. 

As mentioned above, I thought Hendry was excellent in the first half, and Kamberi put in a great shift in the second half. 

We rode our luck in spells, but you'll always have to do that against the OF....even a team as relatively poor as Celtic. Ferguson had a glorious chance to make it safe, and I bet he didn't sleep much last night thinking about that. 

The last 15 minutes were as comfortable as I've seen Aberdeen against Cletic in years. McGeough was excellent in front of the defence, and Celtic had completely run out of ideas until we gave the guy far too much room to cross the ball. 

Still, if this is the start of the future under Glass, I'm a happy man. There was much much more positivity, aggression and snap about the side. The players actually looked like they were enjoying playing football.

On to Sunday then...we owe these Arabs a doing. 

The counter attacking was a joy to watch last night. Reminded me of an early Derek McInnes side.

52 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I retract my earlier comment about snapping scott brown. Unnecessary. Campbell and Ferguson playing like they did last night should be good enough to hold down a starting place anyway. 

Based on that game, I didn't see anything to suggest Brown should get into our team at all. He made some silly mistakes, bad passes and plays the game at walking pace. He won't get the time and space to stroll through games with us like he does for them. For all the talk of "he's got a winning mentality, he'll kick our players up the arse and give them some fight" Celtic were pretty meek with him as captain yesterday. Let's hope he makes a decent coach.

Edited by Flammable sheep