Lanarkshire Curry House Recommendations (Also Hamilton vs Motherwell)

I think it will be the radio for me tonight but is anyone planning to watch this tonight?

We now have an Accies fan on the thread (welcome @stepek 4 tellys ) - what's the Accies TV coverage like? Was the jobby talk a one-off?

Thankfully Bobby Bulloch has been binned and the new co-commentator is a massive, massive upgrade. The main commentator is a pain in the arse though.

On 19/04/2021 at 21:13, well fan for life said:

A very reasonable choice. The chicken Lassani is the berries.

Apologies for dragging up something from page 1, but it is a pressing question.

What's that there 'lassani' curry all about?  I've never ever seen it down here in Eng-er-land.

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

6 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Apologies for dragging up something from page 1, but it is a pressing question.

What's that there 'lassani' curry all about?  I've never ever seen it down here in Eng-er-land.

A peek behind the curtain here but being Glaswegian I had never heard of this until about 3 years ago when my Lanarkshire-born girlfriend introduced it to me. 

My home ground is the Anarkali on Victoria Road. Home of naan breads the size of double duvets and BYOB. 

34 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

A peek behind the curtain here but being Glaswegian I had never heard of this until about 3 years ago when my Lanarkshire-born girlfriend introduced it to me. 

My home ground is the Anarkali on Victoria Road. Home of naan breads the size of double duvets and BYOB. 

So this is something very specific to Lanarkshire?  Damn.  But I'm still none the wiser as to what a Lassani curry is actually like... madras?  jalfrezi?  Please relate it to one of the standards so I know what I'm missing out on!

Inevitably, browsing a curry menu (I had a look at the Anarkali's before I realised it wouldn't have the curry in question) has made me yearn for a curry even though I'm not very hungry.  
My ever-expanding waistline will not thank any of you, or me, later.

4 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

So this is something very specific to Lanarkshire?  Damn.  But I'm still none the wiser as to what a Lassani curry is actually like... madras?  jalfrezi?  Please relate it to one of the standards so I know what I'm missing out on!

Inevitably, browsing a curry menu (I had a look at the Anarkali's before I realised it wouldn't have the curry in question) has made me yearn for a curry even though I'm not very hungry.  

Looking at Mushtaqs, not a big description 

2-chillies-v.png

Lassani

Medium Spicy: Sweet, tangy, herbs and chillies

I do love the zingy lime flavour from the curry leaves in a decent Chicken 65, but if it's veering off into the same region as that pineapple korma concoction that got mentioned earlier, then it won't be for me.  Though perhaps the chillies would save it.

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

Just now, RostokMcSpoons said:

I do love the zingy lime flavour from the curry leaves in a decent Chicken 65, but if it's veering off into the same region as that pineapple korma concoction then it won't be for me.  Though perhaps the chillies would save it.

I've not had this Chicken 65 caper but this is the second time I've heard of it today after listening to the A Bit of a Mouthful podcast. 

Must be a sign. 

14 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

I would go so far to say it's very specific to Mushtaq's because I've never seen it anywhere else. 

House of Shah was the culprit I believe. Also did Buckfast pakora if memory serves. Tried neither as I'm not a fan of the 'fast.
Marios Ogkmpoe is House of Shah's biggest fan.

It's on the way home for me so I used to go in quite a lot (mostly pished) when I was younger. Great naans and the staff were nice but the rest of the food not so much.

4 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Marios Ogkmpoe is House of Shah's biggest fan.

It's on the way home for me so I used to go in quite a lot (mostly pished) when I was younger. Great naans and the staff were nice but the rest of the food not so much.

The mostly pished bit would balance out the food quality bit and all would be well?

7 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

I've not had this Chicken 65 caper but this is the second time I've heard of it today after listening to the A Bit of a Mouthful podcast. 

Must be a sign. 

I would go so far to say it's very specific to Mushtaq's because I've never seen it anywhere else. 

Chicken 65, when done well (so it's quite dry and with that zing that puckers your cheeks as you eat) is stupidly addictive.   Unfortunately I found it's also possible to get a crap recipe version which is in a sweet sauce which did nothing for me at all.

Sounds like Mushtaq's will be the place to visit next time I'm up... 

14 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

I do love the zingy lime flavour from the curry leaves in a decent Chicken 65, but if it's veering off into the same region as that pineapple korma concoction that got mentioned earlier, then it won't be for me.  Though perhaps the chillies would save it.

What is the 65 thing? Numbering is more a Chinese thing.

3 minutes ago, ropy said:

What is the 65 thing? Numbering is more a Chinese thing.

I didn't know, so I googled...

What is the meaning of 65 in chicken 65?
... Other stories are downright bizarre: the chicken is marinated for 65 days; it is made from 65-day-old chickens; a chicken is cut into 65 pieces; a chef once added 65 chillies to the recipe to make it super spicy and so forth. In reality, the dish was introduced in 1965 by Buhari's hotel and hence the name.21 Aug 2013
Edited by RostokMcSpoons

2 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

I didn't know, so I googled...

What is the meaning of 65 in chicken 65?
... Other stories are downright bizarre: the chicken is marinated for 65 days; it is made from 65-day-old chickens; a chicken is cut into 65 pieces; a chef once added 65 chillies to the recipe to make it super spicy and so forth. In reality, the dish was introduced in 1965 by Buhari's hotel and hence the name.21 Aug 2013

I’ll be looking out for it