Rangers v St Johnstone

G51

2 minutes ago, Antony said:

Aberdeen did another cup double a few years before. Aberdeen and Hearts have both done a league and Cup double but that's it. 

I'm not going to derail this thread as it's St Johnstone's night, but the Dons did a league and Scottish Cup double (as well as the aforementioned 2 cup doubles) and Hearts did a league and league cup double. And that's it.

1 minute ago, G51 said:

Also, Callum Davidson deserves some credit.

On a budget that’s nowhere close to Hibs or Aberdeen, never mind the OF, he’s put together a really well organised side that is both extremely durable and really adaptable. McCann is one of the finest young midfielders in the league and I’ll be astonished if he doesn’t move elsewhere this summer.

If they can hang on to Davidson next year, they’re going to be legitimate challengers for third.

I suspect our squad might get ripped apart this Summer.

Losing McCart, McCann, and Melamed, for example, would be a massive blow.

f**k knows though, he's clearly incredible on the training ground as he's drilled this squad, down to the very last player, to work this system perfectly. 

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

I suspect our squad might get ripped apart this Summer.

Losing McCart, McCann, and Melamed, for example, would be a massive blow.

f**k knows though, he's clearly incredible on the training ground as he's drilled this squad, down to the very last player, to work this system perfectly. 

You’ll get money to replace them though. McCann is £2m+ easily. 

The next evolution for Davidson is developing a system that can beat the bottom six eight or nine times out of ten. He can hold his own against the big teams, if he can figure that out then St Johnstone are really cooking with gas.

1 minute ago, G51 said:

You’ll get money to replace them though. McCann is £2m+ easily. 

The next evolution for Davidson is developing a system that can beat the bottom six eight or nine times out of ten. He can hold his own against the big teams, if he can figure that out then St Johnstone are really cooking with gas.

He has tbh, we've dominated almost every side for spells most weeks but have just missed the chances created. If we keep this 11 and either get Melamed for a full season/a prolific striker, then we'd be flying.

31 minutes ago, Ill Ray said:

The achievement it’ll be if St Johnstone do the double. One of the biggest in Scottish Football for years when you consider likelihood and budgets. This is a real team. All the Celtic fans singing about a plateau and winning with the biggest budget. Absolute non-achievement from Celtic when you think about resources and infrastructure. 

Good on Callum Davidson. Manager of the Year if he does the double. Very envious of the St Johnstone fans tonight but I hope they have a belter. Amazing scenes. 

He's already manager of the year. Who else even compares to the season he's had?

Edited by Merkland Red

3 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

Is it too early to create the 'Things that have happened since a team called Rangers won the Scottish Cup' thread?

My cursory glance of wikipedia gave me the following interesting tid bits about things that happened in the 08/09 season:

Edinburgh City finished 8th in the EOS Premier coming below Herriot-Watt University
Annan Athletic had their first season as a SPFL (then SFL) club
Gretna went bust
Steven Fletcher was voted SFWA young player of the year
James McCarthy was voted PFA young player of the year
East Stirling were in the lofty heights of 3rd in the 4th tier
Falkirk were a top flight club
The Intertoto cup had it's swan song
The UEFA Cup had it's last season under that name
Livingston got demoted to the bottom tier

And on a banter note Rangers were papped out of Europe by Heart's feeder club FBK Kaunas