European Super League.

Lofarl

It's up to the fans to say no. If nobody watches it on TV, there'll be no money to be made by the TV companies. And that means no ESL. 

I barely watch the CL as it is. The only reason for watching this season was the Scottish involvement. 

CL football is mostly boring now because they've killed meaningful competition. This new league is just an attempt to jump start the dying format. 

2 hours ago, Renfrewblue said:

It's up to the fans to say no. If nobody watches it on TV, there'll be no money to be made by the TV companies. And that means no ESL. 

I barely watch the CL as it is. The only reason for watching this season was the Scottish involvement. 

CL football is mostly boring now because they've killed meaningful competition. This new league is just an attempt to jump start the dying format. 

Like it or not, a European Super League would absolutely be watched by enough people worldwide to justify its existence.

The main push behind this is to stop the EPL completely taking over. Financially only really PSG can compete, with Real/Barca able to for the odd player. Italian clubs are virtually redundant in the Champions League these days. Germany dominated to the point of strangulation by Bayern.

Why do English clubs want it? Self preservation. In the past 2 decades Chelsea and Man City have both risen up to dominate their game for spells. Now Newcastle have started down the same path. These clubs need the Champions League., but theres about 7/8 now scrapping for it and they'll all be worried about getting left behind. Super League likely stops that and drastically reduces the risk of a billionaire pumping money into a middling English side to overtake them.

Its almost guaranteed to happen at some point. Theres too many clubs, and too much money involved, for it not to be pushed through. Read a book years ago predicting a future where theres just one league for every continent, giant clubs have merged so theres around 12 megaclubs for every league, and football below that level is treated like an underground operation.

25 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

theres around 12 megaclubs for every league, and football below that level is treated like an underground operation.

To be fair, the current situation in terms of a lot of football media and many fans more or less reflects this.

Anything that isn't the CL, the Premier League, the World Cup, or the Euros is treated like a joke.

I've come round to this, to be honest. I hate the big clubs and all they represent, but I'm at the stage where I'd just rather they f**k off and get on with it. I'm quite happy to have the football world basically break into two. The baw is burst anyway.

Why is everyone so against this now that there will be promotion and relegation? 

It’s just another level on a sport which is already dominated by the richest.

If rangers and Celtic both fucked off to play in whatever the ESL called their Vauxhall conference, I’d be delighted.

No B teams though, hell no. They disappear and all trace of them goes with them.  

40 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Why do English clubs want it? Self preservation. In the past 2 decades Chelsea and Man City have both risen up to dominate their game for spells. Now Newcastle have started down the same path. These clubs need the Champions League., but theres about 7/8 now scrapping for it and they'll all be worried about getting left behind. Super League likely stops that and drastically reduces the risk of a billionaire pumping money into a middling English side to overtake them.

The EPL TV Deal is such that clubs don’t actually need the Champions league.  And rather than pumping money into a middling EPL team that billionaire could pump money into a Belgian, Portuguese or Swiss middling Euroleague franchise 

34 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Why is everyone so against this now that there will be promotion and relegation? 

If rangers and Celtic both fucked off to play in whatever the ESL called their Vauxhall conference, I’d be delighted.

No B teams though, hell no. They disappear and all trace of them goes with them.  

I don't believe that it'll be as "open" as they say. And 80 teams in Europe rather than about 300? No, ta.

37 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

But this is the very reason those two clubs have done this and been helped successfully by the governing bodies. Shameful and corrupt.

Our governing bodies don’t want to lose the sectarian shilling!

15 minutes ago, Molotov said:

But this is the very reason those two clubs have done this and been helped successfully by the governing bodies. Shameful and corrupt.

Hearts have a B team in there as well. I’d thought that this was because there was no reserve league any more but now I realise it must be all part of a plan to play  in the Euroconference

5 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Read a book years ago predicting a future where theres just one league for every continent, giant clubs have merged so theres around 12 megaclubs for every league, and football below that level is treated like an underground operation

What happens to all the spare, top level players this produces?

11 hours ago, Molotov said:

The lowland league clubs voted them in as they were offered a few grand bribes to vote yes.

Completely sold out.

Hopefully it happens and the Old Firm are siphoned off to toil away at their 'special European nights', never to be seen again in a Scottish league.

A domestic game where one of 2 teams has won for the last 40 years is rightly derided as a farce around the world.

There is no feasible way now that any other team wins...unless Man City style investment from abroad in a Hearts/Hibs/Aberdeen. It's essentially impossible.

Caveat of course would be, as others have mentioned, that colt teams get shunted back in to the Scottish league.

57 minutes ago, milhouse said:

Hopefully it happens and the Old Firm are siphoned off to toil away at their 'special European nights', never to be seen again in a Scottish league.

A domestic game where one of 2 teams has won for the last 40 years is rightly derided as a farce around the world.

I don't disagree about the Old (half-Old?) firm, but ...

First, it's not dramatically different from Spain, Italy or the Netherlands, where three teams dominate. And better then Germany (one club).

Second, it's not seen "as a farce around the world". Very few people outside Scotland either know or care.

Scottish football will never be rid of the Old Firm. 2012 proved they didn't want to be either. They will join some manufactured Euro league at some point and their second strings will replace them in the SPFL.

Then of course there's the fact they will still be Glasgow based so we'll actually have double Old Firm in Scotland with the media coverage and gushing in total overdrive making the current coverage look fair and balanced. 

17 hours ago, RawB93 said:

What happens to all the spare, top level players this produces?

From memory, the book suggested we'd reach a stage where players were pumped full of PEDs in youth academies to the point they could play professionally at 14, but careers were short and most had crippling injuries before they hit 20, with many pushed so hard it killed them. 

More people played in the "underground" leagues than the elite sides.

22 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Would it not lead to the rest of the clubs basically shrivelling up due to lack of media interest and just regressing?

To view it through a darts analogy, the rest of the world would become the BDO whilst the PDC goes from strength to strength. I want the OF to f**k off as much as the next guy, but this would be a global thing that might leave those left out, well, fucked.

28 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Would it not lead to the rest of the clubs basically shrivelling up due to lack of media interest and just regressing?

To view it through a darts analogy, the rest of the world would become the BDO whilst the PDC goes from strength to strength. I want the OF to f**k off as much as the next guy, but this would be a global thing that might leave those left out, well, fucked.

Would it though?  The champions league hasn’t done that.  Surely a lot of people here still want to turn up and watch matches?  And the freedom of internet means we could still create our own coverage even when the mainstream media salivated over the OF getting pumped by Real Madrid.   I honestly think a lot depends on whether our clubs were weak and allowed the OF B teams to play in our league.

If they did then pretty soon they’d be back to dominating our league so the stranglehold would continue and likely worsen.

If, however, they had no involvement in our domestic game, and were mid-table sides in the ESL then would youngsters other than those likely to follow them currently be into them?  I’m not sure they’d steal extra fans from other Scottish clubs as if folk were going to pick a team in the super league to follow then surely those winning the titles would be the attractive proposition.  

A lot of younger fans would grow up supporting a ESL side as well as their local SPFL side, who they’d go along to watch.

All just guesswork, who knows how it would work out…