European Super League.

Lofarl

1 minute ago, BigDoddyKane said:

Im surprised the players at these clubs on the ridiculous money arent getting more stick, you can stop a super league, you can complain about owners but if those players wages arent reduced, nothing will change

Anyone who talks about limiting footballer's income but not actor's income, musician's income, CEO's income, banker's income etc won't and shouldn't be taken seriously.

Football is part of society and has the same problems. If you want to end wealth inequality or racism in football the only way to do it is fix it everywhere.

1 minute ago, Detournement said:

Anyone who talks about limiting footballer's income but not actor's income, musician's income, CEO's income, banker's income etc won't and shouldn't be taken seriously.

Football is part of society and has the same problems. If you want to end wealth inequality or racism in football the only way to do it is fix it everywhere.

should be done everywhere imo

but as we are talking about Football , while the player wages arms race without any restrictions carries on, I think nothing will change or can stop a super league which will come under a different name at some point very soon even after all this 

12 minutes ago, BigDoddyKane said:

Im surprised the players at these clubs on the ridiculous money arent getting more stick, you can stop a super league, you can complain about owners but if those players wages arent reduced, nothing will change

The players are going to ask for as much money as they can get out of the owners. If players wages were forcibly decreased without any other changes, then that money would end up in owners' pockets, which is exactly the sort of issue the likes of Mesut Ozil took a stance over during last summer. If you want to cut back on clubs' spending then it has to be a result of measures which reduce their income (eg ticket price caps).

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

The players are going to ask for as much money as they can get out of the owners. If players wages were forcibly decreased without any other changes, then that money would end up in owners' pockets, which is exactly the sort of issue the likes of Mesut Ozil took a stance over during last summer. If you want to cut back on clubs' spending then it has to be a result of measures which reduce their income (eg ticket price caps).

true and I dont know how they can do it and do it fairly , i just think it wont happen and players wages will continue to rise as fast as they have been and from that super leagues with massive tv deals and sponsorship are unstoppable

26 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

If wages were reduced, the main result would be that Real, Bayern, etc. would hoover up the best players. Hence a reduced ability for British (English?) clubs to compete in Europe, and a reduction in the quality of the domestic football. And so of the clubs' income.

As for the owners, very few make money from the game.

2 minutes ago, Snafu said:

So with just Real Madrid and Barcelona left now, will they still go ahead with this ESL.

I've changed my mind, I think the two of them should go ahead and do it, now is the right time to strike out on their own.

That would be great, I hope it goes on to be a resounding success.

If they make it work then the OF can have their own league and play 38 times a season, Sky will be happy, OF fans will be happy and the rest of Scottish football will be happy.

26 minutes ago, Snafu said:

So with just Real Madrid and Barcelona left now, will they still go ahead with this ESL.

I've changed my mind, I think the two of them should go ahead and do it, now is the right time to strike out on their own.

Just Real and Juventus AFAIK.

2 hours ago, TheJTS98 said:

It's the weakest the big clubs will ever be politically, and it's the most public opinion will ever be against them.

A great opportunity. Unclear where the leadership comes from though.

This is the perfect time for someone to seriously raise the issue of all but 5 countries being effectively shut out of the serious part of the continent's main football competition and to get a sympathetic ear from the public.

The leadership should be within uefa

It's delegates are made up from all the countries

Seems the fans and ex players have the power

Just need davie proven to start going on about it on sky sports and whipping ian crocker into a frenzy

10 hours ago, BigDoddyKane said:

Has uefa increased the money or done any changes to get this climb down, i wouldnt be surprised if they have?

My feeling is this will just be put to be for a few years, next time its raised it will be under a different name and there will be less backlash against it and it will get put through

I'm not so sure, I think memories of the absolute humiliation of this will live long. The ECA have been able to force UEFA into carving up the CL in their favour through dark threats of breakaways. If they ever try that again they'll be laughed out the room. "On ye go, see if you can make it to 3 days this time."

I could see changes to the CL that will make it harder for the biggest clubs to miss it, but I don't think there will be anything quite like this for a long time. And I think it's more likely the smaller nations - who are a majority in UEFA - will push back now.

9 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

Further LOLz at the boy Henry's grovelling and completely insincere apology video in Twitter emoji23.png

Absolutely definitely written by a PR consultancy. Sounds like the kind of thing a CEO says when there's a product recall. "We regret that we lost the trust of our customers by allowing our cheese to be contaminated with rats' anuses and we promise to learn the lessons." Wonder if they brought in someone just for this.

9 hours ago, ahemps said:

What frustrates me about these clubs with huge debts is they don't think they need to reduce them. Barca and Real could get rid of a few high earners bring through some youngsters and still finish top 4 in their league. They'd probably still regularly get to the CL quarters, win 1 or 2 La Liga's or Copa Del Rey's then in 5yrs time be in a position to buy the best players in the world again.

It is like they can never not be challenging to the best team in the world without realising they aren't and a reset would be beneficial to them.

A Barca or Real Madrid president that did that would get punted at the first election. Someone would come along and promise them Mbappé and they'd win in a landslide.

1 minute ago, GordonS said:

I'm not so sure, I think memories of the absolute humiliation of this will live long. The ECA have been able to force UEFA into carving up the CL in their favour through dark threats of breakaways. If they ever try that again they'll be laughed out the room. "On ye go, see if you can make it to 3 days this time."

I could see changes to the CL that will make it harder for the biggest clubs to miss it, but I don't think there will be anything quite like this for a long time. And I think it's more likely the smaller nations - who are a majority in UEFA - will push back now.

This is the time for smaller nations to talk up sporting integrity

Or forever just shut up about it

That would be great, I hope it goes on to be a resounding success.
If they make it work then the OF can have their own league and play 38 times a season, Sky will be happy, OF fans will be happy and the rest of Scottish football will be happy.
They can be ESL division 2

9 hours ago, Tony Ferrino said:

My own mother is as twee as f**k and when talking to young kids she can't say the word "Super" without following it up with duper. She did it throughout my childhood, and that of my kids, to the point where I now can't hear anything else. The last couple of days have been tough.

I have a theory that anything prefixed with the word 'super' is generally anything but.