Lofarl

European Super League.

6 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

If PSG and Bayern wanted to be in it then they would have been when it was first announced. No way will they be coming out in the media rejecting the whole idea to only go and join through one of the invitation, sorry qualification, spots.

Sevilla have also come out and said they have no intention of joining.

I reckon PSG will go for it after the World Cup. The owners won't be wanting to f**k about with FIFA right now. The Germans I don't see going near it. The football culture there is still hugely fan orientated and the clubs mostly seem to follow a more community minded ethos in terms of approach, investment and development. RB Leipzig are the only ones I would imagine may change their minds, though it would be easy enough for Red Bull to suggest one of their other teams for a position in that league and focus more resources away from Germany if it came to it. I doubt many Austrians would miss Salzburg nowadays, or, more likely, they could get New York on board to really try and tap into the US market.

1 minute ago, ICTChris said:

It's probably been said already but the split in the English clubs appears to be between those massively in debt and those who aren't.

It's almost as if having billions of debt during a global pandemic that is significantly harming your turnover makes you do really desperate things.

5 minutes ago, AgainstAllOdds said:

Would love to be a fly on the wall for this meeting. 

2326775_Screenshot2021-04-20at14_17_33.thumb.png.51becfa569ddc1493f6426c2fe820c8a.png

Good on Henderson for taking the initiative, hopefully it pays off and we'll can this shocking idea once and for all.

I can just imagine Joel Glazer saying 'We are going to have to call the whole thing off, Premier League captains think the ESL is a bad idea'. 

4 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Well that's it settled now, big Dick has spoken.

"Is it a song youse are waantin'?"

Pep is the first ‘big six’ manager to nail it in his statement. That’s the type of backbone required right now. This whole thing will fall apart imminently, no doubt.

1 hour ago, Brummie Clyde said:

Would assume it's Man City (could be Chelsea).

You’d probably be right. The “ITK” journos saying they were the two most reluctant. “Only joined for fear of being left behind” was the quote - not that it makes it any better of course.

Hopefully the authorities have the baws to still punish any that drop out.

6 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

You’d probably be right. The “ITK” journos saying they were the two most reluctant. “Only joined for fear of being left behind” was the quote - not that it makes it any better of course.

Hopefully the authorities have the baws to still punish any that drop out.

Makes sense in both cases, as they are the least indebted of the English sides who have gone for it.

21 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

It's probably been said already but the split in the English clubs appears to be between those massively in debt and those who aren't.

This has 'man who built his house on sand' written all over it.   Can't help but see it ending up as a car crash after a few seasons when interest eventually wanes. 

The likes of Spurs and arguably Arsenal probably won't have a sniff at the top spot and will largely be playing what are effectively glorified friendlies for nothing other than TV revenue, which won't mean much if the teams above them get just as much if not more.  Granted that ESL would see them play in Europe every year, but an ESL/EPL season for them would almost certainly  lack the excitement of situations where they have to win to be playing European football next season.   Football's shite when there's nothing at risk and all it'll be for them is some borefest like Palace v Southampton just now (both being realistically safe for EPL next season with pretty much no chance of making Europe).   That's the sort of game I don't bother with on MOTD, and that's cooncil TV.

Edited by Hedgecutter

12 minutes ago, The Real Saints said:

Pep is the first ‘big six’ manager to nail it in his statement. That’s the type of backbone required right now. This whole thing will fall apart imminently, no doubt.

Peps divers have already ruined the sport anyway

19 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

I can just imagine Joel Glazer saying 'We are going to have to call the whole thing off, Premier League captains think the ESL is a bad idea'. 

If the players went against playing the ESL I feel like someone somewhere would have to take notice.

Isn't the whole premise of this thing that the best players, the best teams, the best stadiums are all there? If the players don't back it and won't play the ESL falls down. 

Was this sarcasm? I’ve just read some of the stuff he’s said and it sounds like he has shat it. Too many managers pussy footing around the issue saying shit like “oh we don’t have enough information.” f**k off, you know as much as everyone else does and it’s enough to tell you that it’s a diabolical idea, so stop pissing around and say how you feel.

5 minutes ago, AgainstAllOdds said:

If the players went against playing the ESL I feel like someone somewhere would have to take notice.

Isn't the whole premise of this thing that the best players, the best teams, the best stadiums are all there? If the players don't back it and won't play the ESL falls down. 

Give the players more money and they will play in the ESL.  And they shouldn't be blamed for that. 

Utterly disgusted to see what is happening to the sport of association football that was invented all the way back in 1992.

6 minutes ago, AgainstAllOdds said:

Are Arbroath getting an invite for Gayfield?  Suddenly it becomes clear why Dick Campbell has spoken.

Just now, sparky88 said:

Give the players more money and they will play in the ESL.  And they shouldn't be blamed for that. 

I take your point, but these players are multi-millionaires. They will surely have some integrity (at least some of them) and see how bad this is for football.

The ESL not allowing them to play international football is also a breach of contract from the club's side (as per the Athletic article below), so effectively allows the players to walk away should it happen.

Not for a minute saying "I think the players will strike" but you can see the direction it's heading. 

image.thumb.png.6549e124acbbb4cb10f7435a444e852c.png

1 minute ago, jamamafegan said:

Was this sarcasm? I’ve just read some of the stuff he’s said and it sounds like he has shat it. Too many managers pussy footing around the issue saying shit like “oh we don’t have enough information.” f**k off, you know as much as everyone else does and it’s enough to tell you that it’s a diabolical idea, so stop pissing around and say how you feel.

It might be in their contract not to.

Without exception the folk I've spoken to in Italy (who all support one of the three clubs in question despite living on the other side of the country) are very pro-ESL. Anecdotal data, but it doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

9 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

I saw Jurgen Klopp as shitting it yesterday, but not Pep today. Seemed quite damning IMO. I interpreted the ‘not enough information’ bit as a challenge to the people in charge, as it was immediately followed by him saying that they need to come out and explain their decisions publicly.