European Super League.

Lofarl

1 hour ago, Rob1885 said:

The new champions league format isnt a kick in the arse away from the ESL either tbh. UEFA, Sky (and the other broadcasters) and the respective leagues can take their morale high ground and go and f**k themselves.

The new Champions League format is miles away from this super league, given that it still rewards success, and still makes it possible for every team in Europe to qualify. The Super League is entirely unmeritocratic - there's no way to qualify for it for outsiders, and no way not to qualify for it if you're a member club.

Take Leicester and West Ham as examples - both are both having good seasons in England, and could finish in the top four. If they do, they would be rewarded for that by a place in the Champions League. The Super League wouldn't be interested in them because they're not big enough clubs - if they wanted to invite another English club it would most likely be Newcastle or Everton or someone like that. Likewise, clubs like Rangers, Ajax, Olympiacos, Galatasaray etc have absolutely no chance of competing in the Super League, whereas there is still a seat at the table in the Champions League - indeed there are 14 group stage spots which are explicitly for clubs from outside the top 5 leagues.

People are going OTT on the "wildcard" spots in the Champions League - I don't agree with them and would rather they didn't exist, but they're still entirely based on merit, you still have to earn the right to qualify for one of them. First of all you have to earn a European spot domestically to be eligible for it, and then if that's the case then you also need to have performed well enough in Europe across the previous five seasons to be one of the two highest ranked clubs in terms of coefficient. Yes, perhaps it can be a bit of a self-perpetuating cycle, but ultimately if you get in to the Champions League this way and don't perform well enough then you'll end up tumbling down the coefficient ranking and no longer able to qualify.

Take Arsenal as an example. They're currently 9th in England this season, and if they finish there then their only route into Europe would be if they win the Europa League and qualify for the Champions League. Even under the new Champions League system they would get nothing. In contrast, the Super League doesn't care about that and they would be in it the next season anyway.

Edited by craigkillie

3 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I imagine it went...
Hold on!
You said PSG and Bayern were drinking the Kool Aid too!

Glorious though that would be, I doubt there's substance behind it. 

Would be a great laugh if a team pulled out and was sued by JP Morgan for breach of contract, then ended up going bust. 

Same. If any club is desperate for the billionaires league they can wire in, but they should be removed from domestic competition. If they want to come back after their 23 year deal is up then they can start at the bottom of the pyramid. None of that will happen though and the big clubs will get what they want. 
I don't really understand the clamour for it - I find the majority of big Champions League games dull as f**k as it is, you couldn't pay me to watch an ESL. Wee VL Fifa players are the only ones who seem to revel in it. 
Basically the only people on Twitter who are in favour of it are trolls, or people from Africa and Asia.

24 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Lets assume that this happens.

Sky retain their mix of EPL and Scottish football but no European.

BT retain Europa and UCL and some EPL.

ESL is taken up by a stand alone subscription, or even Amazon or the like.

What would folk still pay for?

I mean thats the crux of it. For me id probably keep whatever the Scottish football was on and bin the rest. I wouldnt pay current prices for any of the services I have (Sky and BT). I wouldn't pay a bean towards ESL, so that would leave me looking for costs being cut on the rest, or patching live tv football altogether.

How do you all see it re monthly cash out of your pocket?

I have Sky and BT. I’ll keep Sky as apart from the Scottish football I watch the golf, cricket and nfl etc and the occasional EPL game.

BT I am planning on getting rid in the next year or so anyway I think or at least to try and get it at less than the £25 a month I’m currently paying.

I’ll not be putting a penny towards the ESL. If Sky happens to get the rights to it, which I don’t think they will, then that subscription will be getting cancelled and I’ll find another way to keep watching.

Starting to think the clubs might back down here, possibly managing to wrangle a couple of concessions from UEFA.

I wonder if the 12 just assumed that PSG and the Germans would follow them in here. If they had, then it was a done deal imo. A 16-18 team league would work in this situation. I'm not sure the 12 is viable.

Really wouldn't be a surprise to find out that Man Utd and Liverpool are the driving forces behind this and making a complete car crash of it given what happened barely 6 months ago - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/10/11/world-exclusive-man-utd-liverpool-driving-project-big-picture/

Edited by NorthernLights

48 minutes ago, Ross. said:

The clamour for it is entirely financial. The clubs involved carry astronomical debts, though I think Man City probably signed up due to FOMO rather than financial necessity. The alternative would be downsizing somewhat and dealing with their financial problems properly. That doesn't work with their ego's however, so the ultra short term, immediate boost to liquidity option has been taken instead. Sadly, I agree that they will probably end up getting exactly what they want. Add that to the Americans who view it from a US Sports perspective and we are where we are.

UEFA definitely missed a chance to make some real, radical changes. I guess however that this new format was long agreed and was only awaiting rubber stamping. The big clubs were again being given more, but not enough to satisfy what they want(And in some cases, desperately need to avoid doing a Rangers). If the Super League goes ahead, the next round of UEFA reconstruction talks are potentially huge. There will be scope to make serious, long term, positive changes to competition and cash distribution. They will no longer need to pander to the elite, which has been one of their biggest problems since the early 90's.

Maybe there will be a new elite needing pandered to.

28 minutes ago, BigDoddyKane said:

It changed at some point, no sure when or that it was 50-50 but I think it could be relooked at and the way to do it is as an european wide agreement for all domestic leagues.

Im not sure how it is in europes domestic leagues currently, I would need to look it up

It was 50/50, based on the fact you needed two teams for a match. Now, as we all know, you need only two teams for a league...

Can't remember when it was changed, start of the SPL perhaps?

Edited by Jacksgranda

Lets assume that this happens.

Sky retain their mix of EPL and Scottish football but no European.

BT retain Europa and UCL and some EPL.

ESL is taken up by a stand alone subscription, or even Amazon or the like.

What would folk still pay for?

I mean thats the crux of it. For me id probably keep whatever the Scottish football was on and bin the rest. I wouldnt pay current prices for any of the services I have (Sky and BT). I wouldn't pay a bean towards ESL, so that would leave me looking for costs being cut on the rest, or patching live tv football altogether.

How do you all see it re monthly cash out of your pocket?
Dodgy stream mate, I'd pay for f**k all.

5 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

It just looks like they'll pick 5 'qualifiers' each year, which just suggests they'll pick who they want to play. How fair.

If they 5 happen to be Bayern, PSG then the likes of Ajax, Roma or Seville, how long until these sides eventually just join in full time?

I think PSG and Bayern want in but Bayern especially can't go for it due to fan ownership. This would be a way they could say they didn't push for it but need to be in it or they will be left behind.

1 hour ago, ahemps said:

Did gate money not used to be split 50-50 in Scotland but the OF campaigned against it to get to keep the home gate money?

Even with a 50-50 split you would be getting the lions share as you get half of 60k 19 times a season when everyone else would only get it twice.

The 50/50 gate money split was abandoned late 70’s/early 80’s and surprise surprise since mid 80’s only two teams have won the league

Edited by Gallant Pioneer

Guardiola the latest Manager having to face the media over something he had no input or say on. He is also unhappy. 

On a side note and going back to Florentino Perez earlier, the "financial problems" he speaks of are also his own doing. I checked and his second term at Real Madrid started on 01 June 2009 - nearly twelve years ago. If the clubs finances are in such a bad state, why is the media not questioning his management of the club since he's overseen more than the last decade under which that debt has been built up? 

The answer is obvious: Barcelona were better than them and they spent so they could try and compete. Fair enough, one might say, but any club in Spain could've built that pile of debt trying to do similar. They did not. Madrid have done this to try and keep up appearances and now have the front to complain that other teams receiving broadcast money are the problem, when in reality their financial standing is due to nothing other than trying to keep up with a better side for reasons none other than pride. The state of Real's finances is the responsibility of the person now fronting this Super League who thinks he is saving football. The only skin he's trying to save is his own. 

Edited by Michael W