European Super League.

Lofarl

Guest TheJTS98
10 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

It's been spoken about for a long time within football that the younger generation have much less attention span and watch football in clips on social media etc, not full matches.

I don't know the numbers/market for all this but if football wants to increasingly cater to that market then so be it. I'll probably give it a miss though.

It'll be interesting to see what is left for people like us. Possibly an almost-two-sports arrangement like cricket. There's definitely fundamental change to the actual game itself coming though.

I look at this ESL thing with a kind of bizarre fascination rather than the horror some have. I'm just intrigued as to how much and how quickly things will change. What will it be like in ten years?

I don't really feel any sense of loss about it. What was worth fighting for was lost long ago.

Edited by TheJTS98

On 18/04/2021 at 23:44, David W said:

Jock Stone :lol: 

They had a Brazilian player who had a pet monkey and played with no shoes, and a pair of Germans called the Beethovens. Not sure it'd make it past OFCOM nowadays. 

Could change the Brazilians name to Garrincha and give him a pet goat instead.

2 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

It'll be interesting to see what is left for people like us. Possibly an almost-two-sports arrangement like cricket. There's definitely fundamental change to the actual game itself coming though.

I look at this ESL thing with a kind of bizarre fascination rather than the horror some have. I'm just intrigued as to how much and how quickly things will change. What will it be like in ten years?

I don't really feel any sense of loss about it. What was worth losing was lost long ago.

No there's no real loss for me. I pretty much only watch Scottish football these days so not exactly dealing with the elite levels of the game.

I do think its sad, for all the mewling by likes of Neville, Shearer, Lineker etc on tv just now, if they'd asked supporters in Scotland or even English league 1 or 2 10/20/30 years ago which way the game was going, they could have predicted this quite easily. The number of 'relevant' clubs has been decreasing for years, but the Premier League was still the bestest so that was fine.

Tom English made a rare observation last night when he referred to letting foxes into the chicken coop. That's exactly what's happened and as I said yesterday I'm just surprised they're so surprised. When you welcome the kind of investment into clubs that has been coming in, and you pander to the idea that clubs that generate wealth are more important than others, then why on Earth are they surprised that venture capitalists turn around and say 'hold on, we make the money here, why are we sharing it with the likes of Burnley?'

Who is going to attend the matches? I get they have large crowds of tourists at United, Spurs, Arsenal and Liverpool but the majority must still be local season ticket holder’s.

They can’t surely expect to sell out to crowds of Asian, African and American tourists every match day?

Guest TheJTS98
3 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

When you welcome the kind of investment into clubs that has been coming in, and you pander to the idea that clubs that generate wealth are more important than others, then why on Earth are they surprised that venture capitalists turn around and say 'hold on, we make the money here, why are we sharing it with the likes of Burnley?'

Yeah, it's funny how long the media and many fans kidded themselves that there was no final reckoning coming.

It was interesting to see the guy on Sky Sports last night say he'd spoken to a club involved and they said they had factored in the public backlash and simply didn't care. I'd bet money on that club being Arsenal. Anyone with knowledge of Kroenke's behaviour in terms of ignoring public opinion to move a franchise away from its fans without a single f**k given can surely see that his plans for Arsenal don't take tradition or fans into account in the slightest. Or on-field success.

Kroenke's far from alone in running things the way he does. But it is bizarre how long people kidded themselves that this kind of person would somehow respect football's traditions and care what anyone says.

And now here we are.

I am finding it rather tiresome with all the pundits and some politicians talking about greed having suddenly taking over the beautiful game.
As someone who had been going to football since the late 70s and can remember a time in the 80s when football fans (probably more so when I lived in England) were treated with contempt by the media and society in general (think asylum seekers or Islamic fundamentalists these days)
Football sold out to TV in the 90s and those chickens are finally coming home to roost.
Those same people complaining about the ESL have been strangely silent previously as the majority of the teams in the ‘best league in the world’ became play things of the rich from all over the world. It was only a matter of time till something like this happened.
In a way it is sad that the likes of my team Aberdeen will never likely play and beat teams like Bayern or Real again, but that has probably been true for a good many years now anyway.

5 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

Yeah, it's funny how long the media and many fans kidded themselves that there was no final reckoning coming.

It was interesting to see the guy on Sky Sports last night say he'd spoken to a club involved and they said they had factored in the public backlash and simply didn't care. I'd bet money on that club being Arsenal. Anyone with knowledge of Kroenke's behaviour in terms of ignoring public opinion to move a franchise away from its fans without a single f**k given can surely see that his plans for Arsenal don't take tradition or fans into account in the slightest. Or on-field success.

Kroenke's far from alone in running things the way he does. But it is bizarre how long people kidded themselves that this kind of person would somehow respect football's traditions and care what anyone says.

And now here we are.

He's probably not even wrong. They'll have anticipated a backlash, lose some of their "legacy fans" but enough people will just fall in line and watch it when it actually comes to pass.

Guest TheJTS98
5 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

He's probably not even wrong. They'll have anticipated a backlash, lose some of their "legacy fans" but enough people will just fall in line and watch it when it actually comes to pass.

Probably. But the ESL needs a win soon. It needs a credible public supporter.

Klopp and Milner yesterday is bad news for the concept, and someone like Figo unsurprisingly being against it also does quite big brand damage. These are people who carry sway. Alex Ferguson another. People who influence what the 'right' view to have is. Football fans like to be in the in-group.

They can win an audience, but they could lose this PR war before they've got started if they don't get moving. It becomes hard for someone to get on board with this in the face of a wall of negativity and cynicism.

Edited by TheJTS98

18 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Who is going to attend the matches? I get they have large crowds of tourists at United, Spurs, Arsenal and Liverpool but the majority must still be local season ticket holder’s.

They can’t surely expect to sell out to crowds of Asian, African and American tourists every match day?

Man Utd especially could jettison every single one of their existing ST holders and still sell out Old Trafford many times over every week. I'd imagine the same could be said for most of the big clubs.

9 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

Probably. But the ESL needs a win soon. It needs a credible public supporter.

Klopp and Milner yesterday is bad news for the concept, and someone like Figo unsurprisingly being against it also does quite big brand damage. These are people who carry sway. Alex Ferguson another. People who influence what the 'right' view to have is. Football fans like to be in the in-group.

They can win an audience, but they could lose this PR war before they've got started if they don't get moving. It becomes hard for someone to get on board with this in the face of a wall of negativity and cynicism.

You must have missed BBC News interviewing the Inter Milan fan in Beijing who thinks it's a great idea. The tide is turning.

36 minutes ago, mizfit said:

They'll replace them very easily. They would probably be delighted if every single one of their season ticket holders, being worthless legacy fans, fucked off tomorrow so they could raise the prices and rinse tourists and people that can't get to games due to the tiny number of available match tickets. 

The big clubs weaned themselves off their gate money long ago, though. The concept will live and die based on PPV/subscription sales. There are, sadly, probably too many mug punter football fans that will complain like hell and then buy it anyway. 

If only we had recent evidence of fans of a big club threatening to boycott over the way the club's finances were going, only to *checks notes* continue to go to every single game wearing a different coloured scarf. That'll show them!

CY30443605.jpg

Edited by Gaz

58 minutes ago, marty_j said:

I get your points mate but come on. Are we advocating changing fundamental rules to appeal to those with short attention spans. Needs thought I grant you to get next generation enthused but...

Maybe set up a different format like 20 /20 and they can show it on tik tok

Coincidentally, they had extended reports of the IPL cricket on the sports "news" last night, and I can honestly say I've never given less of a f**k about any sporting event ever - and I remember Kabbadi on Channel 4.

7 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

I still can't believe I've read someone say the EPL will come crawling to - and should be told to get tae - by Rangers, Celtic, Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen. 

All because Wrexham get 4/5,000. 

Wrexham could put on some half time entertainment though.

Just imagine a re-enacting of the Wrexham Chainsaw Massacre.