European Super League.

Lofarl

35 minutes ago, steelmen said:

Ok as i much as i am not a fan of most of these clubs are they really the 12 biggest in Europe?

AC Milian - the 90's are calling

Arsenal - we're biggish when Hernry was playing but done nothing since, can't even get close to top 4 now

Atletico - ok i'll give you them decent deam and one of the best of the rest in Spain

Chelsea - becoming a better team now the cash has been turned back on.

Barcelona - yep one of the biggest in Europe but saddled with debt

Inter - big in Italy but poor outside it

Juvents - Yep, Italy's biggest club

Liverpool -yep i will give you them.

Man City - yep with the money flow coming from their owners.

Man U - not as good as they used to be but still up there.

Real - yep i will give you them

Spurs - WTF? they have won nothing in decades and only been close a couple of times.

I've got about 6 that i would say are the biggest in Europe and 2 absolute jokes (with Milian being close).  It all goes to show the over inflated ego's that there are 6 English teams in there

Where are Bayern, PSG, Seville - they own the Europa League.

Don't let recent history fool you. Chelsea and Man City aren't big clubs. They are two lucky clubs who happened upon lottery wins in the form of owners with no concept of money. Somewhere out there in the multiverse, both are still scrambling around the bottom half of the league whilst similarly unfashionable clubs like Crystal Palace and Birmingham City with their billions get invited in.

Everton and Leeds are bigger clubs than both of them.

Don't let recent history fool you. Chelsea and Man City aren't big clubs. They are two lucky clubs who happened upon lottery wins in the form of owners with no concept of money. Somewhere out there in the multiverse, both are still scrambling around the bottom half of the league whilst similarly unfashionable clubs like Crystal Palace and Birmingham City with their billions get invited in.
Everton and Leeds are bigger clubs than both of them.

Villa are miles bigger too.

Guest TheJTS98

Interesting to see how far the Americanisation of the top end of the sport can go.

I noted somebody a few pages back commented on the importance of the local crowd as something that the remote audience is keen on. I agree with that, and I think medium term that will constrain a real franchise system where clubs can move around etc. Not forever though. I think that day will come.

However, short-term I wouldn't be shocked to see clubs establishing a second home on a rolling scale and allowing cities to bid for that 'honour' the way American cities bid for NFL franchises etc. Barcelona play 30% of home games in Shanghai for five years, for example. After that maybe Shanghai is out-bid by LA.  Nothing is off the table now, there is no longer even any pretence to give a flying f**k about the match-going fan or his or her views.

10 minutes ago, Binos said:

And the old firm are miles bigger than all of those mentioned

Depends on the definition. In terms of what is important to the Super League proponents then absolutely not. What matters is TV audiences whether international or domestic. SPFL TV figures are trending in the right direction recently but the average Rangers game on Sky gets about 413k viewers. Celtic on Sky is 371k viewers. That probably doesn't compare very well at all with the "Big 6" where you are talking millions worldwide.

Average Premier League game on Sky gets about 2m domestic viewers.

Edited by DMCs

1 minute ago, DMCs said:

Depends on the definition. In terms of what is important to the Super League proponents then absolutely not. What matters is TV audiences whether international or domestic. SPFL TV figures are trending in the right direction recently but the average Rangers game on Sky gets about 413k viewers. Celtic on Sky is 371k viewers. That probably doesn't compare very well at all with the "Big 6" where you are talking millions worldwide.

Celtic and rangers are bigger than Everton, Leeds and Aston villa was the point

2 minutes ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

As much as this would be hilarious, doing so for reasons not related to safety would probably be overturned by the courts pretty quickly.

They would be playing in an unregulated and unsanctioned sporting event without robust health and safety protocols.

Apart from ancient history when fitba was played at the top level by borderline alcoholics on what basis are Villa, Everton and Leeds bigger clubs than City or Chelsea? It's like saying the Ottoman Empire or Austria are more important than the United States in 1920.

Edited by NotThePars

4 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Chelsea prior to Abramovic: 1x League Title, 3x FA Cup, 2x League Cup, 2x ECWC, 1x Super Cup

City prior to Abu Dhabi: 2 X League titles, 4  x FA Cup, 2 x League Cup, 1x ECWC 

Birmingham: 2x LC 

Crystal Palace:.......

@djchapsticks

You've spectacularly missed the point I was making.

I picked Birmingham and Palace at random as two similarly unremarkable sides from big cities like Chelsea and City were before untold millions of investment.

The three league titles between both clubs came in the 30s, 50s and 60s. Neither of them were large clubs.

The Champions League viewing figures were already dropping prior to this announcement - not sure how a closed shop with same teams is going to be getting viewers in Europe.

It's just pure fucking greed.

But then I have f**k all sympathy for UEFA - they set the ball in motion by having a so-called Champions competition where non-Champions qualified.

Any notion if meritocracy has almost gone from the game - thus will kill it stone dead if they greedy b*****ds get away with this.

And no surprise that those thieving b*****ds the Glaziers are involved - they are symptomatic of everything that is wrong about some modern football owners.

Also - since when were perennial bottlers Spurs a big club - the epitome of a win f**k all club.

5 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I picked Birmingham and Palace at random as two similarly unremarkable sides from big cities like Chelsea and City were before untold millions of investment.

The three league titles between both clubs came in the 30s, 50s and 60s. Neither of them were large clubs.

Yep. I remember Chelsea and Man City in the late 80s and early 90s. They were both utterly bang average clubs playing in cavernous rarely sold-out stadia, who hadn't had a sniff of a title for years. 

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

Both are large clubs and have been for a century or so. You don't win major league titles and European trophies without being a big team.

5 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

The Champions League viewing figures were already dropping prior to this announcement - not sure how a closed shop with same teams is going to be getting viewers.

It's just pure fucking greed.

I do wonder if they overestimate the appeal to be honest, especially after a few years when its gotten old. They'll need to do more and more gimmicks to keep it fresh and keep the appeal.