European Super League.

Lofarl

Statements now coming out, and they are telling. 

Liverpool and Man Utd's are basically the same. Very short, no apologies and no expression of regret. Pretty clear who the ringleaders of this were, although I think we already knew that. 

Arsenal's is quite apologetic but is also telling of a poor attitude. They went along with it because they didn't want to feel left behind. In other words, were not prepared to stand up for themselves.

Edited by Michael W

1 minute ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

Absolutely shat it. If you supported any other club in England you'd never let them forget it would you. 

No I suppose not although to be fair, I think it’s pretty clear that none of the fans, players or even the managers of these clubs have liked or supported the idea. They probably don’t deserve a hard time 

41 minutes ago, CambieBud said:

This is by no means over folks. The Man Utd and Liverpool owners will still be pushing for automatic Champions League entry and the riches that go with it. They will get their own way in the end

The last three days has surely weakened their hand to the extent it's probably not worth owning the clubs any more. 

5 minutes ago, dysartrovers said:

It's almost like this wasn't the end game. That's collapsed far too quickly for me

It's too much of a clown show for it to be premeditated IMO. The big clubs will get off scot free because as the philosopher Lemar Obika once sang "there's not much justice in the world."

Edited by NotThePars

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

The Spanish press are desperately covering for Perez and his absolute shitemare here, eh? Chuck anything at the wall to see if it sticks.

Yeah the reports coming out of Spain are at odds with the reports in England.

Arse covering after making a colossal f**k up, we've all been there.

Isn't Mundo Deportivo a 'Barca' publication? Can't see them wanting to shield Perez, though grated Barca are a financial basket case so this is bad news for them. 

Either way, I find this suggestion pretty fanciful. 

12 minutes ago, dysartrovers said:

It's almost like this wasn't the end game. That's collapsed far too quickly for me

I think it was the end game. The owners/presidents all got together in a room not having a clue about why fans love football, planning an nfl style of the game, and totally misread the actual opinions of everyone else.

30 minutes ago, dysartrovers said:

Upon hearing of the death of a fellow European ambassador Talleyrand is reported to have said: “I wonder what he meant by that?”

50 minutes ago, G51 said:

Arse covering after making a colossal f**k up, we've all been there.

Your club certainly have....in my lifetime....

Riot at Barcelona 1972

Riot at Aston Villa 1976

Riot at Chesterfield 1980

Riot at Hampden 1980

Riot at Manchester 2008

Riot in Glasgow 2012 when your club died.

OK I made the last one up, but there is a common theme.

When your club needed you most there was no fighting spirit amongst the fans to save your club. You will be forever remembered for being the fans that let their club DIE.

59 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

The victory for the good guys stuff this will be reported as will be nauseating. No lessons will be learned and football will continue down a similar path.

Victory for the people etc etc

You'd think it was 1950s football they're referring to the way they've been talking about the current era. 

26 minutes ago, marty_j said:

Liverpool statement is pathetic

Here it is: 

Liverpool Football Club can confirm that our involvement in proposed plans to form a European Super League has been discontinued.

In recent days, the club has received representations from various key stakeholders, both internally and externally, and we would like to thank them for their valuable contributions.