European Super League.

Lofarl

4 hours ago, Antony said:

I think most Celtic fans would want a more competitive Scottish football. Of course we kind of contradict ourselves when we celebrate 9 in a row or a quadruple treble but football and emotions aren't always logical. I don't know anyone who wouldn't want to see Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs close the gap and challenge for honours every year. Obviously how we go about closing that gap is where opinions would differ. 

Everyone looks back on the early 80s as a great time in Scottish football because of how exciting it was and who didn't enjoy seeing St Johnstone, Inverness, Ross County win their first major honours recently? 

Fair play to you, but I don't think that's a remotely typical outlook for Celtic fans.  As you say, there would not be the gloating over harvesting so many trophies, if there was a recognition of the essential hollowness of such 'achievements'. 

The 60,000 that turn up, and the replica tops that litter our streets are not evidence of the pull of a fair fight.

6 hours ago, Antony said:

For the EFL/EPL to keep the numbers the same you either bring in Celtic (60k), Rangers (50k), Hearts (20k), Hibs (20k) and Aberdeen (15k) or promote Hartlepool, Sutton, Torquay, Stockport, Wrexham and Halifax who all get crowds of around 2,000 except Wrexham who get maybe 4-5k. Also those attendances for Scottish clubs could increase you would imagine. 

The Premier League is about to lose its 6 biggest clubs which are the main draw for sponsors and TV channels. The money will drop quickly and so will the quality of player on show as a result. With the lower quality of football and the absence of the big 6, I'd imagine the biggest average attendance would be maybe 50,000 for West Ham or Newcastle. Aside from Aston Villa or Everton I'd be surprised if there is any other club that brings in over 30k on a week to week basis. Aside from the 4 English clubs I mentioned the next best attendance is Leicester with 32k. And again you would imagine this could go down. 

Whilst I don't think it will happen bringing in 5 Premier League or Championship sized clubs to the set up is surely not a crazy suggestion. These English clubs left behind are in danger and would surely be considering all options at the moment. 

I can imagine a newly bereft EPL reaching out to the OF in a typically tawdry way, but they'd have no need whatever to look for anyone else Scottish.  They've got plenty clubs of their own at lower levels, who are as big as, or bigger than, any from Edinburgh or Aberdeen.

Guest TheJTS98

Honigstein on the Totally Show saying Bayern are not convinced this is commercially viable, then on the Steilcast he said he had spoken to someone senior at a German club, I think we can assume Bayern with his contacts and the context of the discussion (and his TFS reference), and said they thought there was no chance this would work.

Edited by TheJTS98

Guest TheJTS98

Seems bizarre to me that they are 'in discussions' with potential broadcasters. Surely that's the kind of thing serious people have tied up before they go and announce a breakaway?

This enterprise will start off in debt. JP Morgan Chase will want to see something for their start-up cash, and it seems bizarre that the enterprise is only now discussing what the tv deals will be like and even who they will be with. Where is the planning? Where is the market research?

Champions League viewing figures have been dropping as it is. Where is the research that says this is how to arrest that slide? You can bet your arse that if they had any such evidence, it would be all over today's papers and would probably have been used as a bargaining chip with UEFA ages ago. They either haven't checked or asked and didn't get the answers they wanted.

It's a complete step into the unknown and seems a bit amateurish. Perhaps easy to see how Real Madrid and Barcelona have managed to end up in such dire straits with stuff like this.

11 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

This is utter nonsense. Celtic fans want the illusion of competitive Scottish football. In reality they don't want anyone even coming close to beating them to a trophy. Just look at the behaviour of their fans repeatedly kicking off outside Celtic Park when the realisation that Lennon's clown car performance as a manager was going to cost them 10IAR. The vast majority of old firm fans do not want a genuinely competitive league, they want to be seal clubbing the diddies and rubbing their rivals noses in it every single season. 

Maybe if Aberdeen and hearts finish 10 points behind them instead of 30 they’ll do better in Europe though. Think about it. 

Just now, Dons_1988 said:

Maybe if Aberdeen and hearts finish 10 points behind them instead of 30 they’ll do better in Europe though. Think about it. 

True 😂

Celtic match threads whilst Rangers were fannying about the lower leagues were, like Celtic Park, extremely quiet in those days, basically consisting of folk laughing at the "Ronnie Roar" as Celtic's squad of millionaires struggled to a last minute win agains the likes of Motherwell, and Romeo repeatedly posting the word "bottle" on Aberdeen's threads as they curiously failed to win the league against a club with massively greater resources. 

This actually reminds me of 2012 when the SPL and SFA were dealing with the wreckage of rangers slitting their own throats. 

Back then you just hoped that the governing bodies might learn lessons about structuring the game around revenues generated from a very small number of clubs. That once the dust settles on this they make take a step back and reflect on the way football has gone over the past 30 years.

Thankfully in Scotland we learned our lesson....

Guest TheJTS98
3 minutes ago, marty_j said:

IMG_9317.jpg

Perez lost the plot

Let’s just scrap the game and have a trekkers challenge eh? The “kids” will love that as well

It sounds mad, but he's maybe on the right track.

A lot of people, especially young people, have been cut out of top end football by paywalls or time differences and have grown up with football being something you see in highlight form on Youtube or Twitter. Ten second videos of Messi's latest goal etc.

Attention spans are a difficult thing to command in modern media, and we see this with the obsession with keeping podcasts to a certain length and Netflix's metrics for designing a tv show to the optimum number of minutes.

There'll be a lot of potential viewers for this out there who really don't fancy the idea of sitting down for 90 minutes and watching a full game of football where nothing might happen for quite a long time. Habits are changing and there's a lot of competition for attention.

4 hours ago, TheJTS98 said:

Anticipate what you like.

Yeah, this is just the Hearts thread from last Summer all over again.

You've decided your argument and you'll stick by it despite what I'm actually saying. Not contradicting it in the slightest. 

We'd be aswell just ending this here as you're clearly not getting my point and it's fucking boring reading the essays you pump out tbh.

Guest TheJTS98
1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

You've decided your argument and you'll stick by it despite what I'm actually saying. Not contradicting it in the slightest. 

We'd be aswell just ending this here as you're clearly not getting my point and it's fucking boring reading the essays you pump out tbh.

Fair enough.

Got to be honest, my perspective on this is that you've treated my comments as if I was making an absolute argument, when I never did that once. You seem to be trying to argue with me when I'm only raising a question. You say I'm sticking by my argument, but I've never made a definitive one.

12 minutes ago, marty_j said:

IMG_9317.jpg

Perez lost the plot

Let’s just scrap the game and have a trekkers challenge eh? The “kids” will love that as well

Tennents Sixes style tournament inbound...

A lot of people, especially young people, have been cut out of top end football by paywalls or time differences and have grown up with football being something you see in highlight form on Youtube or Twitter. Ten second videos of Messi's latest goal etc.
Attention spans are a difficult thing to command in modern media, and we see this with the obsession with keeping podcasts to a certain length and Netflix's metrics for designing a tv show to the optimum number of minutes.
There'll be a lot of potential viewers for this out there who really don't fancy the idea of sitting down for 90 minutes and watching a full game of football where nothing might happen for quite a long time. Habits are changing and there's a lot of competition for attention.

I get your points mate but come on. Are we advocating changing fundamental rules to appeal to those with short attention spans. Needs thought I grant you to get next generation enthused but...

Maybe set up a different format like 20 /20 and they can show it on tik tok

8 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

It's been spoken about for a long time within football that the younger generation have much less attention span and watch football in clips on social media etc, not full matches.

I don't know the numbers/market for all this but if football wants to increasingly cater to that market then so be it. I'll probably give it a miss though.

Guest TheJTS98
2 minutes ago, marty_j said:

I get your points mate but come on. Are we advocating changing fundamental rules to appeal to those with short attention spans. Needs thought I grant you to get next generation enthused but...

Maybe set up a different format like 20 /20 and they can show it on tik tok

I agree with you, I'm not for it at all. But all he cares about is the most monetised form of this possible.

If that means playing games in four blocks of ten minutes, or upside down in an ice rink, he'll do it.

I can’t be the only one that giggled