European Super League.

Lofarl

I've always thought of Man City as diddies - it's just now they're very rich diddies. For some reason I always think of the penalty incident against them where Henry and Pires tried to take the piss but made a complete arse of it. There's not a chance they'd have tried something similar against the likes of Man United or Liverpool at the time.

There's also the time they stuck David James up front in the last game of the season when they were still in with a shout of a UEFA Cup spot. Or the time when Middlesbrough stuck 8 past them in a league game. Or when they got relegated to the 3rd tier and had to win a playoff against fucking Gillingham to get promoted.

Utter. Fucking. Diddies.

Having thought about it It doesn’t really matter which clubs they get to fill the remaining spaces.  Ajax for example are a big name and if you gave them the finances they’d fit into the ESL.  You wouldn’t get a huge TV audience in Holland but I guess the ESL won’t actually care about that.

1 hour ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

The Champions League viewing figures were already dropping prior to this announcement - not sure how a closed shop with same teams is going to be getting viewers in Europe.

It's just pure fucking greed.

But then I have f**k all sympathy for UEFA - they set the ball in motion by having a so-called Champions competition where non-Champions qualified.

Any notion if meritocracy has almost gone from the game - thus will kill it stone dead if they greedy b*****ds get away with this.

And no surprise that those thieving b*****ds the Glaziers are involved - they are symptomatic of everything that is wrong about some modern football owners.

Also - since when were perennial bottlers Spurs a big club - the epitome of a win f**k all club.

Prior to arry, which surely wasn't that long ago, they were known to flirt with relegation

3 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

Will they need a vote if they’re deemed to be in breach of the rules of the Premier League?

Probably need a vote to kick them out immediately.

Otherwise they probably need to whack them with fines and points deductions for continuing rule breaches. It would take 2 seasons to relegate the clubs to the Football League.  But honestly some EPL chairmen might be up for that since it would keep them legally solid with regards to all their tv deals and the bonus of everyone in the EPL knowing they won't be relegated for 2 seasons.

In the words of Craig Levein, I've got to laugh. Specifically at the fans, pundits, and journalists who are up in arms over this despite spending the best part of two decades tacitly supporting a set-up in which the logical conclusion is a European Super League.

I listened to The Totally Football Show this morning and Carl Anka - a Man Utd fan from Essex - was bemoaning the capitalistic nature of elite level football. No sympathy with him or any other fan of the elite level clubs who are now seeing what we've all known for years.

Edited by yoda

3 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

I've always thought of Man City as diddies - it's just now they're very rich diddies. For some reason I always think of the penalty incident against them where Henry and Pires tried to take the piss but made a complete arse of it. There's not a chance they'd have tried something similar against the likes of Man United or Liverpool at the time.

There's also the time they stuck David James up front in the last game of the season when they were still in with a shout of a UEFA Cup spot. Or the time when Middlesbrough stuck 8 past them in a league game. Or when they got relegated to the 3rd tier and had to win a playoff against fucking Gillingham to get promoted.

Utter. Fucking. Diddies.

From 1990 to 2005 and Liverpool's fluke CL win only Man Utd would have been considered a giant of the game with Arsenal a distant second.

Man Utd's win in 1999 was England's only European cup win a in 30 year span. Germany, Italy, Spain and Netherlands had 2 teams win the trophy in that spell.

Even with mega money from the EPL they are still lagging behind Spain and Germany in terms of European success.

When I moved to London in the late 80s Chelsea were below Charlton, Wimbledon, QPR and Luton in league standings.
They did appear to have a large potential support but only got about 12-13k at some home games.
Football has changed so much since then and very little of it for the better.
Perhaps I am looking at the past with a rose tinted view but football was more competitive and therefore more exciting in those days.
A team like Leeds could get promoted and win the league a few seasons later.
Even Palace managed to finish 3rd in 91.

6 minutes ago, Dunfermline Don said:

When I moved to London in the late 80s Chelsea were below Charlton, Wimbledon, QPR and Luton in league standings.
They did appear to have a large potential support but only got about 12-13k at some home games.
Football has changed so much since then and very little of it for the better.
Perhaps I am looking at the past with a rose tinted view but football was more competitive and therefore more exciting in those days.
A team like Leeds could get promoted and win the league a few seasons later.
Even Palace managed to finish 3rd in 91.

I've seen Chelsea only once in the flesh.

It was at Carlisle.

In a league game.

Carlisle won 2-1.

20 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

It's possible.

I'm not sure the Asia angle is as strong as commonly held though.

The Champions League more or less passes the region by. Beyond a small group of fanatics, nobody is staying up till four or five in the morning on a school night to watch games regularly.

DAZN recently cut short their regional deal to show the Champions League across Japan, Taiwan, Thailand, and a few other countries. I think people assume there's a huge market, when there's no actual evidence of that.

The Premier League does well. Those Saturday and Sunday early afternoon kick-offs are ideal. But even the 4pm Super Sunday game is something most people will give a miss. Midnight on a Sunday night is grim when you're looking at Monday morning.

So, with all these obstacles considered, I don't think this enterprise will be betting the house on Asia paying for this. Also, in a number of Asian countries pay tv is beyond the reach of a lot of potential viewers. Put that altogether and you've got Asian tv deals for this almost certainly being far less valuable than Europe. Much like existing Champions League contracts.

The market is Europe when it comes to live tv.

Apologies if already been discussed but the extended champions league format is to have weekend games to capture more of the global market. The FA cup is now scheduled to have more rounds midweek to make way for it.

From the PL website, looks like votes require 14 clubs to pass but serious offenses go to an independent tribunal panel.

Clubs have the opportunity to propose new rules or amendments at the Shareholder meeting. Each Member Club is entitled to one vote and all rule changes and major commercial contracts require the support of at least a two-thirds vote, or 14 clubs, to be agreed.

The Premier League Rule Book, contained within the Handbook (Download: Premier League Handbook; PDF 26.3MB), serves as a contract between the League, the Member Clubs and one another, defining the structure and running of the competition.

Any serious breach of the Rule Book results in an independent three-person tribunal sitting to hear the case, ascertain guilt and set the punishment, which can range from fines to points deductions and, in extreme cases, expulsion from the competition (this has never happened in the history of the Premier League).

Guest TheJTS98
3 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Apologies if already been discussed but the extended champions league format is to have weekend games to capture more of the global market. The FA cup is now scheduled to have more rounds midweek to make way for it.

Yeah. The move to weekend games makes complete sense for the Champions League if considering Asia.

But I believe this ESL thing is proposing midweek games. Makes it a non-event in Asia in terms of live tv.

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

As much as it pains me to say it, but I don't think he was 'schooled'. Was he shown up as an entitled p***k? Yep. Was he factually incorrect about a few things? Yep. But ultimately, if it came to it I reckon the FA would shite it and allow it to happen.

Aye the particular line about the rule the guy was confident on was amusing. I think the FA might shite it but I think the posturing will go right down to the wire.

Aye the particular line about the rule the guy was confident on was amusing. I think the FA might shite it but I think the posturing will go right down to the wire.

I could see them suspending the 6 this season but shitting it at the prospect of a full expulsion from the league. Could be right to the wire to see who would blink first.

Will they need a vote if they’re deemed to be in breach of the rules of the Premier League?
I don't think expelling is an option without a vote. That's what the rules suggest anyway. Presumably the committee can only go as far as points deduction.

"Notwithstanding the provisions of Article 27, the League may expel a Club from membership upon a special Resolution to that effect being passed by a majority of not less than three-quarters of such members as (being entitled to do so) vote by their representatives or by proxy at a General Meeting of which notice specifying the intention to propose the Resolution has been duly given."

11 minutes ago, TheJTS98 said:

Yeah. The move to weekend games makes complete sense for the Champions League if considering Asia.

But I believe this ESL thing is proposing midweek games. Makes it a non-event in Asia in terms of live tv.

They'll probably stagger games throughout the day, to capture as many audiences as possible.

Something like a 12 - 2 - 4 - 6 - 8 timeslots on Tuesday/Wednesday, there's your 10 games.

Been laughing all day at the faux outrage from the various people/associations who are opposed to this. Fifa, uefa, la liga, epl etc have all sat back for years and allowed an untouchable elite to form. They've never given a single thought to integrity or fair play as long as the money flowed into their pockets too. Now that same elite have realised that Fifa et al are nothing but a drain on their finances and are set to cut them off, it's brilliant. Fifa have had a monopoly on football since day one and it's nice to see them getting fucked over by the very monsters they created.

I don't think expelling is an option without a vote. That's what the rules suggest anyway. Presumably the committee can only go as far as points deduction.

"Notwithstanding the provisions of Article 27, the League may expel a Club from membership upon a special Resolution to that effect being passed by a majority of not less than three-quarters of such members as (being entitled to do so) vote by their representatives or by proxy at a General Meeting of which notice specifying the intention to propose the Resolution has been duly given."

No vote required.

Any serious breach of the Rule Book results in an independent three-person tribunal sitting to hear the case, ascertain guilt and set the punishment, which can range from fines to points deductions and, in extreme cases, expulsion from the competition (this has never happened in the history of the Premier League).

https://www.premierleague.com/about