European Super League.

Lofarl

I hope this goes ahead, I hope the leagues have the balls to kick out the teams involved, I hope they can't get another 8 teams and I hope they try and crawl back but are told to do one.

One thing I don't get is that they are making a big deal of the 3 billion or whatever it is that JB Morgan are stumping up in guarantees... surely this isn't enough to compensate for English PL and CL revenue? And what are JB Morgan wanting for the outlay?

On the one hand, this is a grotesque move, one which is a complete anathema to sporting merit.

On the other... 

These clubs will start treating the epl, la liga and serie A with the same disregard they already treat their domestic cups? Struggling to care about that. 

The precious 'greatest league in the world' will be undermined and embarrassed? Struggling to care about that. 

UEFA will be hurt because their precious champions league will be undermined? Struggling to care about that. 

EUFA are gazumped by a group of clubs taking the pre-existing direction of travel instigated by EUFA themselves one step further by making it a literal closed shop rather than just stacking the deck to favour the 'elite' clubs? Struggling to care about that. 

Sky will be hurt by said undermining of epl and could well pump less money into it? That would actually be fucking excellent. 

I can see why EUFA, Sky, the epl and supporters of those clubs are upset, for sure. It is also astonishingly funny watching these very same organisations and broadcasters bemoaning bare-faced greed and elitism. Necks of solid brass. The hypocrisy is transparent and the meltdown has been quite hilarious to watch. 

Overall, a bit of a mixed bag, then. 

3 hours ago, johnnydun said:

UEFA are a bit hypocritical here, when you look at the Champions League, it's exactly the same.

They don't want smaller country Champions polluting their Champions League, they will give them 3 qualifying rounds first, then they are Champions.

But 4th placed big league millionaire clubs, that have won absolutely f**k all in 20 years, they are Champions in UEFA's eyes.

This is one of the reasons I don't watch the Champions League anymore. It has absolutely nothing to do with merit.

UEFA set the wheels in motion for this entitled pish. I am just going to enjoy watching the fall out.

Every detrimental change to the Champions League made by UEFA has been on the back of the “elite clubs” threatening to walk.

6 minutes ago, Dysart said:

Hopefully if the six get kicked out, then the EPL will invite the bigot brothers down south to help make up the numbers.

More realistically, they'll ask to fill the void without the need to start in the conference, get laughed at, ditched in favour of Barnsley / Bournemouth and then say that they weren't interested anyway.

NYSE has opened and Manchester United are trading at $17.10 which is a 6% rise on Friday's close but not as high as they were in March

Either the market doesn't think this will happen or it doesn't believe it's the financial bonanza for the clubs involved that it's being sold as

23 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

On the one hand, this is a grotesque move, one which is a complete anathema to sporting merit.

On the other... 

These clubs will start treating the epl, la liga and serie A with the same disregard they already treat their domestic cups? Struggling to care about that. 

The precious 'greatest league in the world' will be undermined and embarrassed? Struggling to care about that. 

UEFA will be hurt because their precious champions league will be undermined? Struggling to care about that. 

EUFA are gazumped by a group of clubs taking the pre-existing direction of travel instigated by EUFA themselves one step further by making it a literal closed shop rather than just stacking the deck to favour the 'elite' clubs? Struggling to care about that. 

Sky will be hurt by said undermining of epl and could well pump less money into it? That would actually be fucking excellent. 

I can see why EUFA, Sky, the epl and supporters of those clubs are upset, for sure. It is also astonishingly funny watching these very same organisations and broadcasters bemoaning bare-faced greed and elitism. Necks of solid brass. The hypocrisy is transparent and the meltdown has been quite hilarious to watch. 

Overall, a bit of a mixed bag, then. 

I think this is pretty much my take on it

19 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

We are heading towards globalisation in football.

We've watched it happen in Scotland on a much smaller scale with the OF. Two teams hoover up all the money and leave everyone else fighting for the scraps.

It's no surprise that the biggest clubs want this. The fans no longer pay the bills as it were. 

It's more egregious due to the fact there's lots of money for everyone in the major leagues without the need to be even more greedy with ideas like this.

Football is ultimately a business and there'll come a day where the majority of super clubs can tell fans of football to f**k off and just milk the armchair market because that's more financially beneficial (which pretty much happens down South as is).

It's just a matter of time IMO.

Exactly this.