European Super League.

Lofarl

9 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Probably whether or not the money on their payslips increases or not and little else. Clubs wouldn't be looking at a breakaway if there wasn't going to be money in it for them.

The only possible impact on this for them is that they might end up barred from international football. I think quite a lot of people would be pretty shocked when they realise that a lot of elite level players don't really give a shit about it and would happily junk it for this league. 

I guess if they aren't for it they can go and play for Everton and the breakaway clubs will offer a lot of money for players lacking such concerns. 

See the rise of the IPL to the detriment of international cricket for how sportsmen stand on money v representing their country.  I know cricketers aren’t as wealthy as footballers and top players don’t need any more money than they currently have, but never underestimate human greed.

6 minutes ago, Baptiste Bourgeois said:

What's the assumed figures vs actual figures? How do these compare with corresponding fixtures in the other big leagues of Europe?

Statements like "The depth English Football has an interest in the diddy teams is always greatly overstated." are hilarious when you consider that England literally has about 2x the number of people attending matches, 2x the number of professional leagues, clubs and players than the other big countries. In the most recent season for which figures exist, there were 74 clubs in the football league who averaged 5k+ spectators. Figures that the likes of Germany could only dream of. If you look at weekly attendance at football matches as a percentage of population, England (and Scotland) blow every single country, other than micro-states, out of the water. So the idea that nobody cares about diddy clubs in England is just plain nonsense. They demonstrably  care about their diddy clubs more than any other country in Europe.

" If you’d like to point me to literally any evidence of non-entities being a factor in the PL’s international growth and not the strength of the larger clubs I really would love to see it, champ. "

Good thing I never claimed such a thing then, you utter, utter danger.

Why on earth have you gotten this upset mate :lol: Calm down you melt. My point was about interest in games featuring the likes of West Brom, Stoke, Brighton etc to do with television viewership, not fucking English Football’s diddy leagues. Why on earth would we be discussing second tier attendances when the topic was clearly the Super League and how many people are interested in watching middling PL teams on television. You’ve dived absolutely head first into an argument that wasn’t even being made. Fud.

I'm not surprised.

The new Champions League format is absolutely pants. 

They could easily come up with a better way to have the best v best more often yet keep domestic leagues meaningful.

A Uefa Super League of 4 divisions of 9, playing every opponent in your division once, for 8 pre-Christmas games each.

Divisions initially filled on merit, via clubs' Uefa coefficients. Top division initially with Real, Paris, etc.

2 up/down between divisions, and 2 automatically dropping out of the fourth tier to be replaced by Europa League  finalists from the season before.

Top 4 from each Uefa Super League division qualifying for a 16 team post-Christmas knockout European Cup.

Teams failing to finish top 4 in their domestic league (for the most successful leagues) drop out of the Uefa Super League, top 3 for the next most successful domestic leagues, and so on. 

1 hour ago, Left Back said:

This has been coming for a long time.  The big 6 have been after a bigger slice of the broadcasting pie for a few years.  All so they can move money from our pockets to the players pockets, at the will of agents.

Actually the long term goal is to pay players less.

With 5 or so Big Leagues in europe players can demand high salaries and due to competition the players get what they deserve.

The owners want 1 big league which will enable them to try and bring in salary caps. And where else are the players going to go? They want to recreate the American sports model where it doesn't matter how shit you are there is a big guaranteed pile of money each year.

6 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

Why would a fan of any Scottish club be in the slightest bit bothered about this. Makes absolutely no difference to us at all

If Sky got the broadcasting rights we would end up paying for it if we wanted to watch the Scottish games.

6 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Actually the long term goal is to pay players less.

With 5 or so Big Leagues in europe players can demand high salaries and due to competition the players get what they deserve.

The owners want 1 big league which will enable them to try and bring in salary caps. And where else are the players going to go? They want to recreate the American sports model where it doesn't matter how shit you are there is a big guaranteed pile of money each year.

Absolutely won’t happen.  The players gained power over the clubs years ago.  The clubs won’t get it back.

13 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

Why would a fan of any Scottish club be in the slightest bit bothered about this. Makes absolutely no difference to us at all

The international team would be affected as well. No Robertson, McTominay, Tierney, Gilmour.

Not to mention that England is where most of our players play/develop, if this weakens the smaller teams, or the lower league clubs fold, that’s less room for player development of all nationalities. 

1 minute ago, Baptiste Bourgeois said:

Why would that not be relevant? The two issues go hand in hand. There's plenty of interest in games between Stoke, Brighton etc because, as I've just demonstrated to you, people in England have far more interest in the smaller clubs with football supporters in the country being well spread out through the divisions. It isn't saturated at the top few number of clubs in the leagues like most other leagues. 

P. S hitting out with the "why you raging?! 😂😂😂😂" patter when you're calling folk fud's and melts, with all of your posts dripping with passive aggression and condescension is certainly an irony of some vintage. 

Oh my goodness. The point was about English football’s smaller teams having less appeal to audiences than the bigger ones, you are the only person that’s taken this utterly bizarre angle from my point, and wheeled out “utter, utter weapon”  before anyone had started dishing out insults you sanctimonious p***k. Come back when you’re mot foaming at the mouth seething over literally nothing mate, you’re making a complete tit of yourself.

4 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

The international team would be affected as well. No Robertson, McTominay, Tierney, Gilmour.

Not to mention that England is where most of our players play/develop, if this weakens the smaller teams, or the lower league clubs fold, that’s less room for player development of all nationalities. 

I just can’t see this happening. Going ahead with a World Cup without Ronaldo, Messi etc, I can’t see FIFA/UEFA sticking to that 

1 minute ago, TheGoon said:

I just can’t see this happening. Going ahead with a World Cup without Ronaldo, Messi etc, I can’t see FIFA/UEFA sticking to that 

Well they still have Mbappe, Lewendoski  and the likes from the clubs not joining. The fact they haven’t all joined up is their big weakness, there are still decent players and teams to watch.

26 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

Aye but it means we get to see Rangers and Celtic finish below Fleetwood Town in the 6th division of England. Jamie O’Hara has assured me of this.

1 minute ago, Jambomo said:

Well they still have Mbappe, Lewendoski  and the likes from the clubs not joining. The fact they haven’t all joined up is their big weakness, there are still decent players and teams to watch.

Aye 100%, but so much of the marketing behind that tournament for casuals especially would be Messi & Ronaldo’s “last dance” and that kinda nonsense. The hosts would be seething about it though which I suppose would be a plus point.