European Super League.

Lofarl

If uefa had balls, block these teams domestically and from all uefa related competitions. If respective FA's don't comply, then ban them and the players involved from international competitions.
Kill it from the start.

It'll die a death if the PPV subs don't support it. On that basis I'd be tempted to tell the lot of them to f**k off and go for it, but don't come back crying if it doesn't work. I know trips to Newcastle, Stoke, Norwich etc aren't everyone's cup of tea, but I can't see how interest is sustained once the novelty wears off. 

4 minutes ago, Michael W said:

It'll die a death if the PPV subs don't support it. On that basis I'd be tempted to tell the lot of them to f**k off and go for it, but don't come back crying if it doesn't work. I know trips to Newcastle, Stoke, Norwich etc aren't everyone's cup of tea, but I can't see how interest is sustained once the novelty wears off. 

If a Superleague ever comes to fruition imo it'd be likely they'd play some games abroad where they'd rake in the cash from both ticket & merchandise sales.

9 minutes ago, Michael W said:

3 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:

If a Superleague ever comes to fruition imo it'd be likely they'd play some games abroad where they'd rake in the cash from both ticket & merchandise sales.

Lots of PPV subs from abroad for the EPL from the far east etc.  I’d guess the most popular non-domestic league hence why 6 English teams involved.  Play some games in China etc. and it would probably be financially viable.

Would likely trash Sky’s foreign subscriber base for EPL too.  If the big 6 did breakaway for this it would be glorious watching the TV companies telling the EPL to hand back the cash.  Can’t see the EPL letting them go and still staying in the EPL.  Court cases could be epic 😂.

Will be stocking up on popcorn for this.

We are heading towards globalisation in football.

We've watched it happen in Scotland on a much smaller scale with the OF. Two teams hoover up all the money and leave everyone else fighting for the scraps.

It's no surprise that the biggest clubs want this. The fans no longer pay the bills as it were. 

It's more egregious due to the fact there's lots of money for everyone in the major leagues without the need to be even more greedy with ideas like this.

Football is ultimately a business and there'll come a day where the majority of super clubs can tell fans of football to f**k off and just milk the armchair market because that's more financially beneficial (which pretty much happens down South as is).

It's just a matter of time IMO.

Edited by Ludo*1

Would be like NFL with franchise teams moving where they’ll make more cash. Chelsea will be playing in Los Angels or Beijing or some shit in 30 years.

Do have to laugh at Sky Sports & Gary Neville going on about greed in football covering this today. 

It’s an awful idea, but I just can’t see the Premier League banning its top six teams.

Premier League is as likely to ban the top 6 teams as Neil Doncaster is likely to slap down the OF.

Will never happen and they'll be massaged to stay in line rather than slapped.

5 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

UEFA and their FAs should ban the lot of them. Sheer greed! Think the teams involved may find a backlash from fans.

The teams involved won’t give a flying f**k about any backlash from fans. They money they get from season tickets/gate receipts is like finding money down the back of the sofa to them. They’ll also have thousands of fans from Asia etc more than willing to take a ticket instead.

Must admit the irony of Sky Sports and the Premier League complaining about this is rather funny. As much as fans are railing against this right now, you know if it goes ahead those same fans will be all SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY about whichever channel has the Super League on it. Depressing stuff.

Martin Tyler was getting some digs in about the super league saying the EPL games between giants like Man Utd and town clubs like Burnley are what make the league so appealing.

He probably isn't wrong.

There is a reason La Liga rights holders were giving them away to the STV player. Even among hardcore football fans only a very small% watch foreign teams. Even the Classico probably does little to move the figures.

5 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Martin Tyler was getting some digs in about the super league saying the EPL games between giants like Man Utd and town clubs like Burnley are what make the league so appealing.

He probably isn't wrong.

There is a reason La Liga rights holders were giving them away to the STV player. Even among hardcore football fans only a very small% watch foreign teams. Even the Classico probably does little to move the figures.

That’s a bit of a myth though, hence why absolutely nobody watches the likes of Wolves vs Sheffield United etc either. The depth English Football has an interest in the diddy teams is always greatly overstated.