Musicians You've Never Listened To

BFTD

A thread primarily for, let's be honest, Yer Da to be educated on the music that the youngsters are listening to. Or perhaps for the youngsters to find out who that Glenn Miller cunto was anyway. Share the popular artists that you're aware of, but somehow managed to avoid hearing anything by, and perhaps P&B can provide a good place for you to start.

I've seen that Billie Eilish lassie everywhere for the past year or two, but only just found out that weird almost-Theremin song on all the commercials (Bad Guy) is by her. Not bad; I quite like it. I don't believe I've ever heard anything by Kanye West, despite hearing so much about how he's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I've never listened to Beck who is the artist that came into my mind when I saw this thread title.

Anyway, the Kanye run between 808s and Life of Pablo was great in this punter's opinion. 808s and Pablo are the weakest of the four but still have great tunes on them. His divorce has the potential to unleash another Twisted Dark Fantasy or Yeezus on the world depending on how long he takes to record it.

I keep hearing folk say that Taylor Swift is a pop genius - I can hear that she's talented, but I don't hear the genius part. Debbie Gibson was talented too, apparently.

Steven Wilson was raving about a couple of Billie Eilish singles, so I checked them out, and didn't like them.

Folk also say that Kanye West is a genius - I'll never know. 

13 hours ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

I've never sat down and listened to an album by Amy Winehouse or Adele. Am I missing anything?

Nope.  Great voices, with generally superficial songs.    So in that respect, yes, you are missing out on something, but only half of the deal.

If this is going to become a "generally well respected artists that you just don't get" thread, I'd like to nominate Joni Mitchell.  I mean, yes, I get it, but it just does nothing for me.

16 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I was going to say Rush but then I heard The Spirit of Radio yesterday and now they're possibly by 2nd favourite band after Led zeppelin.

I cannot think of another song I have heard by Rush other than "The Spirit Of Radio" but as that song encompasses almost every style of music in its 5 minutes, I think it is more than enough to be going along with.

2 minutes ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

I cannot think of another song I have heard by Rush other than "The Spirit Of Radio" but as that song encompasses almost every style of music in its 5 minutes, I think it is more than enough to be going along with.

It's absolutely fantastic isn't it?

Good shouts. Never knowingly heard Rush or Drake. 

Kanye West is ok, Gold digger made me laugh when someone (probably charlie brooker) had it as a soundtrack to a short tv item on the people's princess. 

I'd a mate who thought Jeff Buckley was the bees knees but i still haven't got round to checking his stuff out., myst be 25 years on. 

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

Good shouts. Never knowingly heard Rush or Drake. 

Kanye West is ok, Gold digger made me laugh when someone (probably charlie brooker) had it as a soundtrack to a short tv item on the people's princess. 

I'd a mate who thought Jeff Buckley was the bees knees but i still haven't got round to checking his stuff out., myst be 25 years on. 

12 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Good shout on Buckley, never heard anything of his.  

Try the songs "Last Goodbye" and "Lover, You Should Have Come Over". If you don't like them, you can stop there.

4 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Good shout on Buckley, never heard anything of his.  

Eleven notes when one would suffice, but at least he feels it.  I think Jimi's advice is solid. You can get his vibe from a couple of tracks. 

On 18/04/2021 at 22:16, NotThePars said:

I've never listened to Beck who is the artist that came into my mind when I saw this thread title.

Anyway, the Kanye run between 808s and Life of Pablo was great in this punter's opinion. 808s and Pablo are the weakest of the four but still have great tunes on them. His divorce has the potential to unleash another Twisted Dark Fantasy or Yeezus on the world depending on how long he takes to record it.

I bought a Beck album back in the 90s simply because of the hype. I think it was called Odelay. I probably listened to it about twice. The very epitome of "meh".