Kilmarnock v St. Mirren, Monday 26/04/2021 19:45

We'll definitely need to keep Lafferty quiet and is there any chance of Danny Rodgers being in goal?

As for us, we don't yet know the extent of JDH's injury. I'd drop him anyway and play either Erhahon or MacPherson.

And two up front, preferably Obika and Dennis.

Edited by Arch Stanton

A Scottish Cup run is always something to get supporters going, even more so in the current climate. Obviously Killie hold the slight advantage with it being their home game on the 2G pitch but hopefully our team can overcome this. 

If either team can come through this tie , I reckon they'll have a great chance of going all the way.

Will it be 87 or 97 revisited? (Probably neither unfortunately).

We laboured a bit against Montrose and showed our defensive frailties at times. I'd expect to see the full backs both switched out for McGowan and Haunstrup, Mulumbu probably swapped for Dicker (though I'm not convinced that's necessarily the right idea) and maybe (ideally) Medley swapped for Rossi. Either way, we will be looking to Lafferty to drag us through another game as he's miles above the quality of most of our players and his movement allows us to get the best out of the likes of Kiltie, Burke and Pinnock.

On 18/04/2021 at 09:13, Sweet Pete said:

We laboured a bit against Montrose and showed our defensive frailties at times. I'd expect to see the full backs both switched out for McGowan and Haunstrup, Mulumbu probably swapped for Dicker (though I'm not convinced that's necessarily the right idea) and maybe (ideally) Medley swapped for Rossi. Either way, we will be looking to Lafferty to drag us through another game as he's miles above the quality of most of our players and his movement allows us to get the best out of the likes of Kiltie, Burke and Pinnock.

I've been getting Sissoko vibes from Medley in the last few games, I really like Rossi and think he deserves a chance. 

2 hours ago, stevieKTID said:

I've been getting Sissoko vibes from Medley in the last few games, I really like Rossi and think he deserves a chance. 

I'm not completely convinced by either, but on the evidence of both so far (albeit some of Zeno's have been out of position at RB) I'd say give him the nod to partner Broadfoot (who himself isn't shining lately).

1 hour ago, Sweet Pete said:

I'm not completely convinced by either, but on the evidence of both so far (albeit some of Zeno's have been out of position at RB) I'd say give him the nod to partner Broadfoot (who himself isn't shining lately).

We're really weak at the back right now but at least we're scoring, reckon we need to adopt the "we'll score one more than you" approach. 

Could go either way. I'd hope ud to play a 4, 4, 1,1 with Obika and Dennis up top.  I hoped that Brophy might be able to get on for the last 15 minutes, but I think he's officially still on loan till next season.  

Lafferty is in fine form, we'll need to score at least 2 I think.  

Good to see that the game will be on the BBC.

Ever hopeful, 1-2 to the Saints.  Tate header as the winner.  

57 minutes ago, Lola montez said:

Hopefully we’ll have Connolly down the right ripping Waters a new one, a definite weak link in the Killie defence

I think Waters was only brought in to give him game time against Montrose.... judging by TW's previous starting LB he'll be replaced by Haunstrup, thou, neither have been great tbh.....

Edited by C4mmy31

On 19/04/2021 at 22:59, Lola montez said:

Hopefully we’ll have Connolly down the right ripping Waters a new one, a definite weak link in the Killie defence

Unfortunately Waters is definitely not the weak link in our defence. 

We haven’t made the semi final of both cup competitions in one season since 1982. There certainly hasn’t been many better chances of doing it since then than we have here.
Got a bad feeling about though, Killie and Lafferty are in terrific form. They’re unbeaten in five, have won four of them and scored sixteen goals in the process. That and their home advantage, which is much more of a big deal this year than it was in the before times.
Going into a game like this in the old days I’d take a draw fancy our chances in Paisley, knowing that we have home advantage if extra time was required. This year we need to beat them in their own backyard to progress, on a dodgy plastic pitch that they train on every day and which we have never won on.
Our last win at Rugby Park came on the old school grass in a meaningless end of season encounter in May 2013, which the league cup winners won 1-3. Scorers that day John McGinn (whatever happened to him) Newton, McGowan and Boyd for the hosts. I’m not having that penalty shoot out victory in the 2018 league cup group stage as a win incidentally, although would certainly take a similar outcome here.
That and we have a rotten recent record in Scottish Cup Quarter Finals. Since we won this old pot in 1987 we have had nine of them and won just once. Some of the lowlights of those eight defeats include losing against second tier Gretna in 2006 - who went on to the final - and a financially doped up Hearts in 2012, who beat us in a replay after a refereeing howler and went on to win the trophy. Not that I’m still bitter or anything. Other losses were against Celtic in 2017 and 2013, Aberdeen in 2020 and 2011 (conceded a last minute equaliser in Paisley and then lost the replay), Hibs in 2005 and another stinker against St Johnstone in 2008 where we drew in Perth then lost the replay 3-1 at Love Street.
The only Scottish Cup Quarter Final we’ve won since 1987 was against Celtic in 2009, we then drew Rangers in the semi and got knocked out.
Side point, we made zero Scottish Cup quarter finals between 1987 and 2005, zero in 18 years. We’ve made nine in the 16 years since. Think we sometimes forget just how dark the 90’s and early 2000’s were for us, that was a shocking run.
Team wise it’s very tough to know what Jim will go with. Obika, Connolly, JDH and Erhahon have all been regular starters but none of them were in the match day squad for the midweek victory in Dingwall. There has been some fitness issues but i think there was some resting and rotation going on there with this game in mind. Suspect at least one of them will start on Monday and hopefully all of them will be in the squad.
Erwin and Henderson both started and played well against County, but can’t see either of them starting here. The lesser spotted Quaner had a magnificent impact off the bench midweek and was involved in our second and third goal. I think it will be either him or Obika partnering Dennis. My guess is we will revert to 4-4-2 and go with:
Alnwick
Fraser-McCarthy-Shaughnessy-Tait
Connolly-McGrath-Erhahon-Durmus
Obika-Dennis
But who knows. Could be McAllister on the right, could be any one of McPherson, Erhahon or JDH in the middle. Could be one upfront and start with two of them. Could be 3-5-2 again, although that didn’t go too well in the week.
In games between us this season there’s been one win each and a draw. Killie’s performance in our recent 2-0 win was one of the worst I’ve ever seen from a top flight side. Sadly for us that was pre Wright and Lafferty and there’s clearly been significant improvement since then. Because of that and our quarter final curse I think we will lose.
2-1 (AET)

Funny old game football. Results have slowly started getting better under Wright, performances for the most part have been a bit better, we obviously have the league's player of the moment upfront.... but I'm still approaching this with nerves, reminding myself that for the most part it's the same team of dumplings who were awful for months on end. 

PLEASE can the good Killie turn up on Monday and win?

Weirdly bet365 have us at 2/1. Pretty big price.

Results have picked up for Killie, Lafferty is obviously a huge threat, Burke is still electric and Kiltie can create too. Montrose should definitely have scored more than once though and United were not at full strength the other night so it's hard to judge that result.

I hope we don't show them too much respect and get right in about that defence and test the goalkeeper because he is not much better than Rodgers, if he is at all.

Depends on who will be fit for us too. Erhahon and JDH returning would be a huge boost.

Screenshot_20210424-235951_bet365.jpeg