How on earth?

Born and spent first eighteen years (minus first week in hospital in Irvine) in Kilmarnock. Old man tried to steer me down the OF route, but nothing compared to the beauty of Morrison rattling them in at the most beautiful ground in Scotland. Sunbathing at the scoreboard end during those early season, this-could-be-our-year games soon mutated into freezing your arse off in the Choir watching part-time hoofers struggle on a fornightly basis, but it was too late - KTID.

21 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Were 'Shire not pretty shite?

That's just it. Shire were (and are) shite, whereas PTFC were jousting it out in the Premiership top six the last time I checked.*

*Admittedly, the last time I checked was May 2017 but I doubt much has changed in the interim.

I was living in the west end around 2000-ish, and a wee guy from Barrhead I worked with asked me how to get to Maryhill's ground as Arthurlie were playing there that Saturday. I had no idea but didn't have anything on that day so ended up meeting up for a few lunchtime pints and a voyage into the unknown.

Found myself drifting back on the odd occasion over the course of that season and gradually getting to know some of the regulars, and surprised myself by actively missing it over the summer...doubly so by becoming a regular myself once it started up again.

Edited by Hillonearth

1 hour ago, Hillonearth said:

I was living in the west end around 2000-ish, and a wee guy from Barrhead I worked with asked me how to get to Maryhill's ground as Arthurlie were playing there that Saturday. I had no idea but didn't have anything on that day so ended up meeting up for a few lunchtime pints and a voyage into the unknown.

Found myself drifting back on the odd occasion over the course of that season and gradually getting to know some of the regulars, and surprised myself by actively missing it over the summer...doubly so by becoming a regular myself once it started up again.

I first went to Maryhill for the sectional league cup final between bankies and pollok on a weeknight years back. Discovered it to be a really interesting ground. Still go back from time to time purely because I like the stadium. Took my son pre covid and he went on the park at half time and one of the subs had him lay up the ball for him to swing a few corners in. A small gesture, it made a 6 year old's day.

23 hours ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

Brought up in one of the most staunch villages in Scotland. Bus tours of Rangers fans descend on the village to see Moses McNeil's grave. Thought Rangers were my team until I moved to #perthshire and received free tickets for Saints games through their school programme. Really got into it when I was about 14 and loved every minute of supporting them over the last 16 years.

From Wikipedia - "The founder of the first Rangers F.C. team, Moses McNeil, lived at Clynder, just outside Rosneath. He was buried at the Old Churchyard of Rosneath in 1938. His death went unnoticed at the time by the media and he had nothing to leave in his will. Moses final resting place has been marked with a plaque by Rangers and members of the local community."

:lol:

2 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

Clydebank obv had a season in Abeyance and my dad and I would go to Maryhill games in that season off, always made to feel very welcome there and the club itself are just a class act, its no real surprise you became hooked, had we not restarted id have continued to go to games. 

I went to my first Bankies game about 5 years old and loved it, getting in the season ticket gate at Kilbowie and the songs from the fans, seeing players like Ken Eadie, James Grady and Davie Cooper, I was absolutely spoiled seeing such brilliant players. Became a ball boy a couple of years after and the clubs been the thing that my dad and I could do together ever since (my dad doesnt keep well so having the football to go to was great for us bonding and spending time together), the times of the dublin protests and the bond between us as a group, its a massive part of my life and I cant wait to bring my wee boy up as a Bankie. 

1 hour ago, Sweet Pete said:

I first went to Maryhill for the sectional league cup final between bankies and pollok on a weeknight years back. Discovered it to be a really interesting ground. Still go back from time to time purely because I like the stadium. Took my son pre covid and he went on the park at half time and one of the subs had him lay up the ball for him to swing a few corners in. A small gesture, it made a 6 year old's day.

It's certainly a unique ground...always reminds me of a giant fives pitch with the park being five or six feet below the terracing, although that obviously doesn't help regarding drainage in the winter :(

TBH, it's the first club I ever really took to and felt like it was right...my family were Rangers fans and I suppose I still retain a mild leaning towards that side of the OF, although as a card-carrying SNP supporter I never really felt I fitted in at Ibrox. Funnily enough, most of my mates are Celtic fans and back then I'd find myself at Parkhead just as often as I did Ibrox if someone had a spare ST they couldn't shift. Likewise Thistle...I've got a few mates who support them, but never really felt like they were MY team.

When it comes down to it, you don't pick a club to support...it picks you.