How on earth?

Family are all from Aberdeen/shire back to grandparents.
Mother was a Dons supporter as was her dad, they went to the 1947 Cup Final so it’s in the blood.
Going on holiday to Aberdeen to see family every year (repetitive, lack of adventure, I know) helped, especially being in the city when we won the 1970 cup!
Was a student there as well!

I still recall that, until 1980, I was the only Dons fan I was aware of at THS, certainly never saw any other AFC kits until then!

15 hours ago, GordonS said:

I was brought up supporting one of the gruesome twosome - doesn't matter which - but I had always struggled with it because of, y'know, the support for murdering sectarian terrorist scum. 

Jeezo do you never give it a rest ffs

Edited by Tutankhamen

15 minutes ago, Tutankhamen said:

Jeezo do you never give it a rest ffs

WTF are you on about? Still greetin' over two posts from a week ago on a different thread? Why bring it up here, it's nothing to do with it.

If you've got an actual response to what I've said then fine. If you want to argue that Celtic and Rangers fans don't support terrorist gangs, crack on. Otherwise, get TF over yourself.

2 hours ago, GordonS said:

WTF are you on about? Still greetin' over two posts from a week ago on a different thread? Why bring it up here, it's nothing to do with it.

If you've got an actual response to what I've said then fine. If you want to argue that Celtic and Rangers fans don't support terrorist gangs, crack on. Otherwise, get TF over yourself.

Go and enjoy Linlithgow and give that bag of coal you carry around with you a miss.

Edited by Tutankhamen

Short story - my Dad and Grandad support St Johnstone.

Long Story - I had no interest until I was 12, until then I’d been bought a few Scotland and Saints tops but my interest didn’t extend beyond that. Mostly when asked id admit to not knowing much.

Dundee got relegated and my pal asked if I wanted to come along to the first Match of the season between us and I agreed, that was me hooked.

I used to go with my Dad quite a fair amount that season and slowly moved onto going with friends. I’ve never looked back.

Coincidentally since then the clubs been on an upwards path. I fucking love it.

I was brought up supporting Rangers as my dad was always a fan from childhood and living in Larkhall would really have been the easiest option but I made friends with a boy around my age that stayed on the same street as my dad in Hamilton when I was about ten and he asked if I wanted to go see the Accies. I'd been to Ibrox  a few times but the first game at Douglas Park was just something else, it was a shithole but the sights and sounds made me fall in love and I knew I'd never want to go to a soulless heap like Ibrox again. 
It's no easy supporting a team like Accies (although cannot complain about the last period I suppose) but it's the togetherness that you get that makes the difference. You know all the faces at the ground and in the pub, just no the same relationship you have of you support a bigger club 
Douglas Park certainly had something about it and I completely get your 'it might be a shit hole but it's our shit hole'. I grew up in Hamilton and would sometimes play football on the grass behind the stand or wander down with some school friends to watch a game.

Anyway my dad started lifting me over the turnstiles at Fir Park when I was about 4 or 5 and I would run about down the front. It might have been some sort of punishment but we're both still going.

Lived about five hundred yards from Boghead all my life so not really much of a choice. Played football in the street on Saturday lunchtimes then went along to get a lift over. If we didn’t we’d play football till just after four then go along when they opened the gates. Fifty odd years later still going every week

19 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Some horrible fat cnut took over my original team and told us all to f*ck off when we dared question his plan to move them to a desolate shithole 15 miles west of their location.

So after that and being a bit scunnered with football I found a pal had got involved with Edinburgh City. In the early days we played on a roped off public park and someone had to shovel the dug shite off the park. Now we do OK in the Seaside Leagues for a bunch of upstart diddies.

Did you ever see Ferranti Thistle play?

19 hours ago, PB1994 said:

I must say have the terraces probably played a big part in me keeping interested in football. I remember once we moved to Caley Park I would always end up in the corner between the north and west stands kicking an empty soup cup about with my mates using the gates as a goal instead of actually watching the games. I started taking my boy to games at the same age range and he also wasn’t interested in sitting down for 90 mins watching the game, understandably tbf, but now it’s an all seater stadium it seems to be kind of frowned upon for him to be running around the bottom of the main stand. Also there isn’t really the chance for him to meet similar aged kids at the ground as they all need to be sitting down. 

This is a common thing in non-league, especially at the old Junior grounds which tend to have a bit of spare grass around them. At Linlithgow Rose there's always at least one game of football happening on the grass bank behind the Academy end. It's great for parents as you don't have to try to entertain your little brat, it's great for the kids as they enjoy the football (and occasionally they get on the pitch) and it's great for the clubs as the kids develop a happy memory of the place and a habit for football on a Saturday afternoon.

I've been to somewhere around 100 non-league grounds in Scotland and I've seen that at over half of them. Musselburgh even have a wee play park. I think it's a brilliant thing, the value of it can easily be overlooked. All-seater is a pisser for kids.

13 minutes ago, GordonS said:

This is a common thing in non-league, especially at the old Junior grounds which tend to have a bit of spare grass around them. At Linlithgow Rose there's always at least one game of football happening on the grass bank behind the Academy end. It's great for parents as you don't have to try to entertain your little brat, it's great for the kids as they enjoy the football (and occasionally they get on the pitch) and it's great for the clubs as the kids develop a happy memory of the place and a habit for football on a Saturday afternoon.

I've been to somewhere around 100 non-league grounds in Scotland and I've seen that at over half of them. Musselburgh even have a wee play park. I think it's a brilliant thing, the value of it can easily be overlooked. All-seater is a pisser for kids.

And for some adults.

My family have been Falkirk fans for generations. So it just came naturally. Not sure when I was first taken to a game but the 1st 2 games i remember at Brockville were friendlies.

1st was against York City which we drew 2 each. I shat myself in the 1st half so had to ask my dad if we could leave.

2nd was a friendly against Everton. All I remember of the game is a boy running across the pitch with his cock out. 

Been hooked ever since. 

Edited by latapythelegend

Brought up in one of the most staunch villages in Scotland. Bus tours of Rangers fans descend on the village to see Moses McNeil's grave. Thought Rangers were my team until I moved to #perthshire and received free tickets for Saints games through their school programme. Really got into it when I was about 14 and loved every minute of supporting them over the last 16 years.

Born in Glasgow’s leafy West End to a Thistle supporting family. Lived in Falkirk aged 5-9 and went to Shire games. I think my dad had been told they were the Partick Thistle of Falkirk. They weren’t. It was a relief to move back.

3 minutes ago, Duszek said:

Born in Glasgow’s leafy West End to a Thistle supporting family. Lived in Falkirk aged 5-9 and went to Shire games. I think my dad had been told they were the Partick Thistle of Falkirk. They weren’t. It was a relief to move back.

Were 'Shire not pretty shite?

Some guys kick a ball round a park for money. I support them and do not read any great social, moral or political significance into it. 

Its a distraction form the real and meaningful things in life. 

Edited by dorlomin

My dad was a Celtic fan but had no interest in sectarian pish, and since we lived a few minutes walk from Firhill he took me a few times. I can't say exactly when I became "a fan" but it had something to do with those first few trips, the fact that I liked to see myself as a bit of an "alternative" kid (aka a pretentious wee p***k), I was mates with a few other Thistle fans (this was probably the biggest factor) and realising all the biggest arseholes in the school were one or other flavour of Old Firm fans combined to cement it. 

5 hours ago, Tutankhamen said:

Did you ever see Ferranti Thistle play?

Seeing as I was 2 at the time and living in Arbroath (born in Edinburgh) when they got in the League it might have been a bit hard. But I knew someone who did...

16 hours ago, GordonS said:

^^^ Trying too hard.

Fanny.

16 hours ago, Tutankhamen said:

Go and enjoy Linlithgow and give that bag of coal you carry around with you a miss.

Bag of BS more like. It’s incessant.

Dad is a Sons fan, lived in the town my whole life. Got hooked playing tig on the Boghead terraces. Half of my family were born in Dundee and my Grandpa was a Dundee fan so I've been to quite a few Dundee games as well and have a bit of a soft spot for them. I still have a picture of 10 year old me with Willie Falconer at Rugby Park.