How on earth?

6 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Feck knows. I've never lived even close to Stranraer (unless you count Belfast, which is in a different country time zone). 

I guess you pick yer team when you're wee (unless it's picked for you) and that's that. 

I was taken to Glebe Park when I was 5 or 6, my father was a regular as we lived in Brechin at the time, but he had to take me home at halftime.

We moved to just outside Aberdeen in 1960, and in 1963 I was taken to Pittodrie along with a school pal by his dad and the Dons beat Falkirk 3-0. A fortnight later we were back as we thumped Motherwell 6-2 and that was that, I was hooked. Even getting knocked out of the Scottish Cup by Ayr United the same season couldn't dim my ardour (much).

Moved to the Black Isle when I was ten and went to a couple of caley games and a couple of county games and was basically told to pick one. Caley were the league higher at the time, but county were winning a lot as it was the season we won the 3rd division. Plus caley is the coldest stadium on the planet. So ended up supporting county. 

Lived in Ayr till I was 7 so in an alternative life I'm an Ayr fan*. First game I ever went to was weirdly Ayr against Ross County in the cup. The teuchters bodied the home team 2-0, it must have been a reasonable shock at the time. 

*There are old photos of me as a toddler running around in a rangers top so I'm probably just hoping I ended up an Ayr fan. I maybe had a very lucky escape indeed. 

20 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Feck knows. I've never lived even close to Stranraer (unless you count Belfast, which is in a different country). 

I guess you pick yer team when you're wee (unless it's picked for you) and that's that. 

I always thought it was cos Stranraer was closest to God's Country. 

I was brought up in Motherwell. My dad supported Motherwell. I've tried to brainwash my two boys similarly but not sure it's working out. 

Edited by madwullie

4 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I was taken to Glebe Park when I was 5 or 6, my father was a regular as we lived in Brechin at the time, but he had to take me home at halftime.

We moved to just outside Aberdeen in 1960, and in 1963 I was taken to Pittodrie along with a school pal by his dad and the Dons beat Falkirk 3-0. A fortnight later we were back as we thumped Motherwell 6-2 and that was that, I was hooked. Even getting knocked out of the Scottish Cup by Ayr United the same season couldn't dim my ardour (much).

Actually, part of the reason I remember supporting* Stranraer was in the Scottish Cup in the late 80s, they got humped 8-0 by Rangers (but according to the newspaper report, didn't mind cos they got a big pay day) and then the following season, were narrowly beaten 1-0 at Celtic Park and missed a penalty in the dying minutes to get a draw. 

* You could maybe substitute "supporting" for "feeling sorry for". 

2 minutes ago, madwullie said:

I always thought it was cos Stranraer was closest to God's Country. 

I was brought up in Motherwell. My dad supported Motherwell. I've tried to brainwash my two boys similarly but not sure it's working out. 

That was part of it, but I started following Stranraer before I moved there. 

At least your lads haven't started supporting either of the Gruesome Twosome (yet). 

Usual story of my da and uncle both being Jags fans and my granny living a 10min walk from Firhill.

My dad's origin story is a bit better. Moved back from Canada aged 6, he and his older brother wanted to go to Celtic park one day with their pals. His Granny had a hairy canary at the idea of my dad and uncle being caught up in the trouble(s) that invariably attached itself to the pope's 11 and demanded that if they wanted to watch fitba they would damn well do it closer to home. 

The rest, as they say, is misery.

Was a bit of a role reversal with myself and the old man, with me supporting the team first then him joining in much later. He was an amateur referee for a lot of years so never actually went to games or really had any allegiance. 

We were at a family gathering around Christmas/New Year time when I was about 8 or 9 and an older cousin offered to lift me over the turnstiles at the game vs Rangers at Fir Park the next day. 

Went along and was hooked from then. Started going regularly with a few school friends when I was about 12 and been going ever since. Got my daughter her first season ticket when she was 8, then my dad, having chucked being the b*****d in the black, joined the club and brought along my niece too. 

Got a great extended group with a mixed age range,that we meet up with on matchdays for a few beers and craic. Would never change it. 

Supported Rangers because everyone else in my area did. I remember listening to the Rovers drawing 2-2 at ibrox and being disappointed when Rangers equalised and thinking that was strange. First game of the next season I went to Starks to see Mickey Cameron fire a brilliant volley onto the net from the edge of the box against St Johnstone and have never looked back since. That was a fairly good season for us too

I was brought up supporting Rangers as my dad was always a fan from childhood and living in Larkhall would really have been the easiest option but I made friends with a boy around my age that stayed on the same street as my dad in Hamilton when I was about ten and he asked if I wanted to go see the Accies. I'd been to Ibrox  a few times but the first game at Douglas Park was just something else, it was a shithole but the sights and sounds made me fall in love and I knew I'd never want to go to a soulless heap like Ibrox again. 

It's no easy supporting a team like Accies (although cannot complain about the last period I suppose) but it's the togetherness that you get that makes the difference. You know all the faces at the ground and in the pub, just no the same relationship you have of you support a bigger club 

7 minutes ago, Bert Raccoon said:

I was brought up supporting Rangers as my dad was always a fan from childhood and living in Larkhall would really have been the easiest option but I made friends with a boy around my age that stayed on the same street as my dad in Hamilton when I was about ten and he asked if I wanted to go see the Accies. I'd been to Ibrox  a few times but the first game at Douglas Park was just something else, it was a shithole but the sights and sounds made me fall in love and I knew I'd never want to go to a soulless heap like Ibrox again. 

It's no easy supporting a team like Accies (although cannot complain about the last period I suppose) but it's the togetherness that you get that makes the difference. You know all the faces at the ground and in the pub, just no the same relationship you have of you support a bigger club 

Now I understand why you hated United so much.

I forgive you.

Born in Ayrshire to a Killie supporting dad, I moved to England when 5 and had zero interest in watching football, especially there in a place full of Liverpool and Man Utd fans.

Then when my dad went to watch the game that saw Killie promoted back into the 2nd tier I was dumped at my great Aunt's and remember seeing how over the moon he was on return. I finally decided to go and watch a game with him the next season.

My first fame was a cup game which Killie beat Clydebank in after extra time. It was so exciting with extra time and then winning I was hooked from that moment.

Aldershot came about  because I'm an army brat I spent a few years living in Southern England and when I started showing an interest in going to games (1988-89 season) We went to watch the Shots play as they were the nearest League club. They were crap but I still support them to this day. Frustratingly they became good when they reformed in non league and I missed those years as I'd moved up to Scotland then 🤣

Supporting Celtic is my dad's fault! 

Dad was a pars fan and my granddad was from Lochgelly and a nominal Cowden fan. Dunfermline were playing away so my dad decided to take me to Cowdenbeath. As luck would have it I landed in the Mixu year and the game was a 5-1 win against East Stirling (if I remember correctly). Told my grandad I understood why they were called the blue Brazil as it was brilliant. 15 years on and I do t really understand it now!

1 hour ago, 'WellDel said:

Was a bit of a role reversal with myself and the old man, with me supporting the team first then him joining in much later. He was an amateur referee for a lot of years so never actually went to games or really had any allegiance. 

We were at a family gathering around Christmas/New Year time when I was about 8 or 9 and an older cousin offered to lift me over the turnstiles at the game vs Rangers at Fir Park the next day. 

Went along and was hooked from then. Started going regularly with a few school friends when I was about 12 and been going ever since. Got my daughter her first season ticket when she was 8, then my dad, having chucked being the b*****d in the black, joined the club and brought along my niece too. 

Got a great extended group with a mixed age range,that we meet up with on matchdays for a few beers and craic. Would never change it. 

So he would have you believe...