Sons of the Rock vs The Partick Thistle Revival Tuesday 20/04/2021

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Oor @Jan Vojáček’s head wont fit through the door at the C&G Stadium at this rate...

The ego has landed.

Anyway, cheers for all the nice comments lads, I won't go through them all to avoid filling the thread up, but they are appreciated. Before this season I had never commentated on a game in my life. Chris had done bits and bobs, and we'd presented a few things at Uni together, but this was totally new to us. Thankfully it seems to have worked pretty well, but it's always reassuring to know that it isn't just folk I know being nice to my face!

I looked at my phone at half-time and I had 37 notifications, so I assumed I'd said something wrong and was getting torn into. It was literally all Thistle fans saying positive things about the commentary, which really does mean a lot to both me and Chris. We know more Thistle fans than supporters of any other club in the division, so we were talking about the pressure of not making an arse of things a bit before the game. Glad we avoided that - and you guys enjoyed the stream.

On the game front?

The first-half was pretty even, Thistle totally bossed the second and should've been out of sight before they finally scored. I think that's the roughest time I've seen any side give our defence - especially Morgyn Neill and Ryan McGeever. Rudden especially was absolutely outstanding. He looks like the complete forward and if we had someone like him in our team then we wouldn't be sitting ninth in the league. 

For us? Meh. We did a wee bit of attacking, we battled hard but were beaten by the better team. Anything tonight would be a bonus, but we've now got an enormous four games ahead. My stomach is already churning at the thought of the Clyde game next weekend.

Dumbarton stuck to their game plan well in the first half, I think we actually seem to play better when a team tries to come out and attack us (ie Montrose, who I thought actually weren’t too bad going forward against us at times) which may bode well for the upcoming Falkirk, Cove and Airdrie matches. Second half, we upped it and grinded out a very important win. Another goal for Zak, Another clean sheet - things are looking good at the moment. One game at a time, and we might just do it. 

I actually quite like Jim Duffy (not his style of football) so I hope Dumbarton manage to avoid 9th. 

Edited by JagsCG

10 minutes ago, Scott-Replay said:

Well done, Jan. It’s very nice to hear of a success story for yourself come out of an otherwise pretty dreadful year!

Cheers mate :)

Going personal here for a minute, but I'm lucky in that I have a full-time job in journalism. Chris is still looking for something, and I really hope this helps to put him in the shop window for any commentary gigs going (BBC bigwigs reading this, PM me). Yes he's my pal, so I'm biased, but he really has a natural talent for it - and the amount of work he puts in blows me away. It's hours of hard work, and most of what he turns up with in his notebook never gets heard on air. I'd love for us to be the stepping stone he needs into working professionally in the industry.

Edited by Jan Vojáček

52 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

The ego has landed.

Anyway, cheers for all the nice comments lads, I won't go through them all to avoid filling the thread up, but they are appreciated. Before this season I had never commentated on a game in my life. Chris had done bits and bobs, and we'd presented a few things at Uni together, but this was totally new to us. Thankfully it seems to have worked pretty well, but it's always reassuring to know that it isn't just folk I know being nice to my face!

I looked at my phone at half-time and I had 37 notifications, so I assumed I'd said something wrong and was getting torn into. It was literally all Thistle fans saying positive things about the commentary, which really does mean a lot to both me and Chris. We know more Thistle fans than supporters of any other club in the division, so we were talking about the pressure of not making an arse of things a bit before the game. Glad we avoided that - and you guys enjoyed the stream.

On the game front?

The first-half was pretty even, Thistle totally bossed the second and should've been out of sight before they finally scored. I think that's the roughest time I've seen any side give our defence - especially Morgyn Neill and Ryan McGeever. Rudden especially was absolutely outstanding. He looks like the complete forward and if we had someone like him in our team then we wouldn't be sitting ninth in the league. 

For us? Meh. We did a wee bit of attacking, we battled hard but were beaten by the better team. Anything tonight would be a bonus, but we've now got an enormous four games ahead. My stomach is already churning at the thought of the Clyde game next weekend.

I said it in my post earlier but you said you weren’t reading them all but good job on the commentary mate. Both of you lads tonight were the best commentators I’ve heard in the league so far. I’d say you and Peterhead have had the best commentary this season, both informed, fair and as impartial as possible. Good job :thumsup2

Edited by R&Y99

5 hours ago, R&Y99 said:

I said it in my post earlier but you said you weren’t reading them all but good job on the commentary mate. Both of you lads tonight were the best commentators I’ve heard in the league so far. I’d say you and Peterhead have had the best commentary this season, both informed, fair and as impartial as possible. Good job :thumsup2

My thoughts on the commentary last night... quality as always, but the volume levels were off... Jan seemed to be sitting right next to the mike, while Chris seemed to be about 5 metres sway

Having seen it from the GoalCam I can understand why the assistant didn't give it. It happens very quickly and there's no way you can be 100 percent sure that it crossed the line in real time I don't think. Well, unless you're the assistant from Cove and you have built-in hawkeye features obviously...

It's three minutes in here. The initial save from Sam is fantastic as well it has to be said.

11 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Sam Wardrop has a fractured eye socket due to the force of the elbow from that absolute bawbag Brian Graham. Throw the book at him, ban him for LIFE! 

I missed that last night but having watched it back it was a shocker and should have been a straight red. That was not a natural movement in jumping for the ball and he's gone in to do Wardrop 

11 minutes ago, Nizzy said:
11 hours ago, jagfox BLM said:

Got to echo the thoughts, the commentary was excellent. 

I enjoyed it. They appeared to be willing us on to win. Good lads.

Can't believe my big team has finally been found after all this time. Rumbled.

I do like Thistle as a club to be fair. Quite a few of my pals at school were Thistle fans - it was always nice to find someone in the West of Scotland who wasn't an OF fan and could chat to you about Peterhead away. They are the closest senior club to where I'm from, add in the fact that we rarely seem to play them and I've never had much reason to dislike them.

Anyway I've just seen Graham's elbow on Wardrop back and I take back everything I said on commentary where I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt. It was a horrible 'challenge' and he knew exactly what he was doing. He got extremely lucky that Barry Cook was lenient because that should've been a red - no question. Dirty Thistle B*stard imo ;)

I didn't even get excited about the Rudden "goal" as I'd assumed he was offside, and I'm still pretty sure of that although we'd need to get the squiggly lines out between Quitongo's right foot (not to be confused with any fraudster Killie fans) and Rudden's hip.

image.thumb.png.ac70a6e271bd73753f9b3596c74d10f5.png

Can't believe my big team has finally been found after all this time. Rumbled.
I do like Thistle as a club to be fair. Quite a few of my pals at school were Thistle fans - it was always nice to find someone in the West of Scotland who wasn't an OF fan and could chat to you about Peterhead away. They are the closest senior club to where I'm from, add in the fact that we rarely seem to play them and I've never had much reason to dislike them.
Anyway I've just seen Graham's elbow on Wardrop back and I take back everything I said on commentary where I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt. It was a horrible 'challenge' and he knew exactly what he was doing. He got extremely lucky that Barry Cook was lenient because that should've been a red - no question. Dirty Thistle B*stard imo [emoji6]
I thought it might be the influence of one of your primary teachers - if I have the right member of the commentary team - who comes from a well-known Thistle supporting family.