Don't think any of us would have identified 'Hearts at home, third last game' as a key fixture... but it's now looking that way.

We need to forget about wondering how committed Hearts will be and make sure we play well enough to get something. A win would be massive in the circumstances, a point very welcome.

Will be interesting to see if McPherson persists with the back four from last night, but with Strapp coming back in on the left. That would give us the possibility of getting both Nesbitt and McGuffie on the park, which looks like the way to go.

Think we need to accept McGinty isn't getting dropped as much as I think he should.  I'd actually like to see Ledger and Fjortoft in the middle with Strapp and Hynes but now's not the time to experiment

That back 4 worked pretty well last night though and he may be tempted to go with it again. Middle 3 Impressed and Nesbitt looked back to the player we know he can be .Can see Oliver and Colville coming in for Muirhead and either Lyon/McGuffie.

Just hope to feck we put a similar performance in and come away with something and if we can replicate the last two performances, I think we will.

1-1

I'm not sure that a point is all that valuable after today's results. Some extra momentum and not getting shoed going into Saturday's game would be valuable in itself though. 

A win on the other hand would put us in a very good position but I expect us to be up against it here. If Hearts can rest Walker so he doesn't score his fucking 47th career goal against us then that would be a start. 

Edited by vikingTON

As said the obvious change is Strapp in for McGinty and the same team otherwise, but as McGinty's been viewed as undroppable by three managers (if that term is accurate) for some reason I don't expect it. If he has to start I'm less uncomfortable with him at left back than centre back, as his inevitable brainfarts are marginally less likely to lead directly to a goal. We need a proper attacking option in McGuffie rather than Strapp on the left of midfield as we need to try to get high up the park and win this, rather than having a good attacking left back who's been launched into playing as a winger.

The difference in performance with the back four compared to the back three has been massive. We've still rode our luck defensively and we've still got little or no cutting edge in attack, but even at that having a team which actually competes in the middle of the park is a big contrast to pretty much the whole season prior to now. The midfield actually protecting the defence has in turn fed into fewer glaring defensive errors.

You have to acknowledge that Dundee were pedestrian and turgid while Motherwell were having a bad night, but to some extent both of those things were down to the job we were doing disrupting their midfield. Particularly on Friday Jacobs and McGinn were really excellent and we need another three performances like that. All that said, we're still sitting here with one win, one draw and three defeats in five league games under MacPherson and unless we can turn that into two wins or one win and two draws from three, we're gubbed. Good performances with little to show from them are useless.

If we need to chase the game our options to go more attacking should be Colville replacing one of Jacobs/McGinn and Oliver replacing Lyon. If we're running ourselves into the ground holding what we've got then Oliver should be replacing Muirhead; I don't want to see Orsi on the pitch to hand possession to Hearts any time the ball goes near him in any circumstances.

Too often this season hearts have seemed nervous and devoid of confidence

Hopefully with the pressure off they can relax and deliver a performance

Morton will almost certainly park the bus and hope to hit on the break, a tactic that has worked out well for several teams against hearts this season, thanks in great measure to mihael Popescu, but with our new look defence is less likely to produce a goal

1 hour ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Morton will almost certainly park the bus and hope to hit on the break

We don't have Hopkin in charge anymore.

We never did it away to Motherwell so I doubt we will do it at home to a Hearts team hopefully thinking of their staycation.