Ayr v Queens

I think we kept Shields and Dobbie reasonably quiet through the 90 minutes but the opposition player that really impressed me was Obileye. 

A big strong physical presence in the middle of the park, he's got his limitations like most in the league but in terms of winning possession and passing it on and protecting his defence, I thought he did a good job. I appreciate it's only a one game sample. 

He came from the English Non League I see, with Musonda and Duku also coming from there, I wonder if other managers might also think outside of the normal avenues for next seasons recruitment. Wishful thinking, probably not. 

19 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

I think we kept Shields and Dobbie reasonably quiet through the 90 minutes but the opposition player that really impressed me was Obileye. 

A big strong physical presence in the middle of the park, he's got his limitations like most in the league but in terms of winning possession and passing it on and protecting his defence, I thought he did a good job. I appreciate it's only a one game sample. 

He came from the English Non League I see, with Musonda and Duku also coming from there, I wonder if other managers might also think outside of the normal avenues for next seasons recruitment. Wishful thinking, probably not. 

For every obileye there are two Dre Wrights so o hope they do their homework on them

Edited by ryanayr1987

4 minutes ago, Brother Grimm said:

I see William Gibson is saying the Ayr fan hoped he died in a car crash. Source - his twitter.

Ach it's just fans banter.......

In all seriousness, if this is true it does the person involved no favours at all. The whole Queens team should have made a collective effort to approach the group. Even more reason why they shouldn't have been there yesterday. Shameful behaviour. 

The stream yesterday picked up on the usual DKB stuff but if what Gibson is saying is true and why wouldn't it be, he was well within his rights to call them out. 

Edited by BukyOHare

It is so frustrating that a front two of Moffat and Cameron over the second half of the season would most likely have us comfortable safe. A goal every 179 minutes for Cameron now.  Saying that, Cammy Smith would also have made a huge difference in games like yesterday. 

14 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

No but it is a risk signing from out with “normal avenues” and Dre Wright was certainly not our normal avenue 

No more or less riskier than any other player. Just a bigger number of players to go through, but not impossible. 

The teams that get the maximum value out of their available budget overperform. 

Usually the best recruiters are at the top end of their respective leagues. 

If Hopkin and Timmins keep looking in normal avenues you don't have to be a genius to see how next season might play out. 

Edited by BukyOHare

2 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

No more or less riskier than any other player. Just a bigger number of players to go through, but not impossible. 

It definitely is riskier if we have made little to no effort to actually watch him play. That wouldn’t be an issue in terms of our normal recruitment. I think it’s clear Wright was a complete panic signing and came with a huge amount of risk. 

2 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

It definitely is riskier if we have made little to no effort to actually watch him play. That wouldn’t be an issue in terms of our normal recruitment. I think it’s clear Wright was a complete panic signing and came with a huge amount of risk. 

If. 

3 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Very true.  Queens cobbled together a squad at the very last minute from all sorts of sources including English non-league.  The first third of the season was a car crash though until they managed to sort out who fitted best where.  We got there in the end, but by the skin of our teeth.  But then again you also have the example of Hartley's Falkirk a few seasons back where he pulled in a team from all sorts of sources and it failed spectacularly.

17 minutes ago, Brother Grimm said:

I see William Gibson is saying the Ayr fan hoped he died in a car crash. Source - his twitter.

Disappointing but unfortunately not surprising to hear. It will be the same group of reprobates who at every Queens game sing “I hope you die in your sleep” at Stephen Dobbie.

The ex “Ragazzi” lot are complete brain donors.

5 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Very true.  Queens cobbled together a squad at the very last minute from all sorts of sources including English non-league.  The first third of the season was a car crash though until they managed to sort out who fitted best where.  We got there in the end, but by the skin of our teeth.  But then again you also have the example of Hartley's Falkirk a few seasons back where he pulled in a team from all sorts of sources and it failed spectacularly.

No doubt about it that there's no magic formula but it's upto the skill of the guys with the final say to get it more right than wrong. That's the worry for me with the club as things stand. 

You then have the attitude of the player themselves to also take into account eg Bruce Anderson and Shooter McGavin. 

I've said it before but there are definitely teams that are consistently luckier in good recruitment than the rest and it doesn't always come down to the biggest chequebook either. 

You need a clearly defined and effective playing style for your level and recruit accordingly. 

Its not always the "best" individuals who make the "best" collective XI which is where the challenges lie. A club that's brave enough and bold enough to think outside the box a bit, can be rewarded, especially in the Scottish game. 

Edited by BukyOHare

1 minute ago, BukyOHare said:

No doubt about it that there's no magic formula but it's upto the skill of the guys with the final say to get it more right than wrong. That's the worry for me with the club as things stand. 

You then have the attitude of the player themselves to also take into account eg Bruce Anderson and Shooter McGavin. 

I've said it before but there are definitely teams that are consistently luckier in good recruitment than the rest and it doesn't always come down to the biggest chequebook either. 

I think a lot also depends on the networking ability of the management team, I'd imagine that AJ and Sandy Clark relied on recommendations from contacts down south before bringing players in to have a look in pre-season training.  Still a risky business though, but it always is - recruitment is a huge part of the management teams skill set at this level.

5 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Of course, however I’m not buying we looked into Wright extensively. 

You quote Wright, I'll quote Ndaba, Drinan, Malley or Paddy Reading then. 

Just because Kerr as an individual or the club as a whole, may have taken a punt on Wright doesn't make the signings of someone from another league, in itself, more or less riskier. 

Feel free to criticise the method and process of selection but that's a different argument altogether. 

Edited by BukyOHare

9 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

I think a lot also depends on the networking ability of the management team, I'd imagine that AJ and Sandy Clark relied on recommendations from contacts down south before bringing players in to have a look in pre-season training.  Still a risky business though, but it always is - recruitment is a huge part of the management teams skill set at this level.

You're absolutely right, the quality of contacts a management team can have helps matters greatly. 

We got Cammy Smith due to connections at Dundee United looking favourably on the finances of the deal.