Elgin City v Albion Rovers

As games go this just about falls into the must win category for Elgin if they are to harbour play off aspirations, particularly with QP to come next week and a likely 0 points. We have disappointingly performed and lost our last 2 games against teams we might reasonably have expected to beat. 
There has been no lack of effort from the players but apart from fleeting moments we have failed to click since lockdown. Don’t know why, not happened up front in the last couple of games , blend in midfield doesn’t look right and most worrying a previously pretty solid defence, including goalkeeper, has started to look anything but. Are we missing MacDonald? Not sure but we need to tighten up and fast. 
Albion Rovers are on a good run, they recruited well in the winter window, bringing in some good experience and are in no danger of being club 42. 
On form an away win but think Elgin will come good and keep us on play off tender hooks.🤞

I agree with Thom and Gerry this is a must win. The way we are playing we need every point we can get to have any chance of making the top 4. The standard of the league this year apart from Queens Park has been poor. We are a hard working team but lack quality. However if we do make the top 4 you never know!

The wide players on Tuesday played too deep, maybe partly down to the Stenny formation, and Hester did pretty well most of the time to hold the ball up given what little support he had. I can only remember O'Keefe running at their defence once, he's a frustrating player but one of the most dangerous dribblers in the league and we need to get him doing that more if we're going to win games.

It's frustrating that although we have a good squad, not enough players this season have made themselves automatic picks with a good run of form. Too many players showing flashes but not performing consistently.

Interesting game this . Rovers didn’t half draw the short straw with the early ko. I thought Elgin were most unfortunate with the curtailment of last season - I really thought that was the best Elgin team I had seen since they joined the league and were playing really well until the pandemic hit.

Our win at Cliftonhill earlier in the season was most unexpected and we have a totally different team now compared to back then. Hopefully our away form will continue an we can pick up something to pull us closer to safety.

That first half hour was a classic example of a team not taking their chances and being punished at the other end, made particularly painful as both came from terrible errors. The second half was abysmal. We can still make the play offs but in this form I don't see us doing much damage in them.

27 minutes ago, afca32 said:

That first half hour was a classic example of a team not taking their chances and being punished at the other end, made particularly painful as both came from terrible errors. The second half was abysmal. We can still make the play offs but in this form I don't see us doing much damage in them.

I love your optimism.

4 minutes ago, Thom & Gerry said:

I love your optimism.

I'm certainly not expecting play offs now, but we're level on points with a team we've beaten twice this season with five games left. It's far from impossible.

I was incredulous watching the updates coming in as Albion kept scoring. When did they last get 5? I watch for their results and am glad they look certainties to avoid the possible drop.
Fort William away in last seasons scottish Cup

Funny coincidence last scored 5 in a league game, 5-2 away to Alloa September 2017, and 5-2 away to Queens Park in August 2017,

Amazingly in July 2017 we also won 5-2 away to East Kilbride in the league cup

Though we did score 4 last week,

Was it not for 2 brilliant saves from the elgin keeper it would have been 7 and there can be no argument with it either,

It's got to be poor from Elgin's point of view, we haven't been good this year overall, we are the only team Brechin have beat in 30 odd games, we have however managed to sweep Elgin aside easily both home and away this season (3-1, 5-2)

When did Elgin demolish the area behind the [right-hand according to their TV coverage] goal?  Haven't been to Borough Briggs in a couple of years (unsurprisingly) but hadn't seen that before.

Edited by Telefunken U47
Can't tell the difference between left and right.

1 hour ago, Telefunken U47 said:

When did Elgin demolish the area behind the [right-hand according to their TV coverage] goal?  Haven't been to Borough Briggs in a couple of years (unsurprisingly) but hadn't seen that before.

Recently started, construction of all weather pitches. It’s a Community project.