Ryan Jack to miss the Euros

G51

Yes, easily. However,  if McTominay was playing in midfield in a 3-5-2, Jack would more likely have played as the left player of a central three and no one would have batted an eyelid i.e. McTominay, McGinn, Jack. McGinn being further forward than the defensive pairing. So now it’s McTominay, McGinn, Tierney. 
We need someone in there who will put pressure on the ball like Jack does, and it can’t be Callum McGregor. 

And what evidence do we have that Tierney can put pressure on the ball in the middle of the park?

His entire career to date has involved him playing in teams who are entirely on the front foot and his own game involves driving forward from deep positions whether that is as a centre-back, a left back or occasionally as a left wing-back. He very rarely has to play in a busy area of the park where he has to constantly make quick decisions under aggressive pressure.

8 minutes ago, Baptiste Bourgeois said:

Call James McArthur out of retirement.

*Don't actually, but he'd probably be the most similar replacement.

Mctominay is the most similar replacement

Who had already replaced him in the position

18 minutes ago, Baptiste Bourgeois said:

Is, dare I say it, Graeme Shinnie the next best option if we're looking for a defensive minded midfielder to be in the squad? Been in the starting XI all season for a pish Derby side, but I can't claim I've watched much of that pub league this season.

McTominay isn't remotely similar to Jack. 

Indeed. A full strength XI has both of them in the team. 

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

And what evidence do we have that Tierney can put pressure on the ball in the middle of the park?

His entire career to date has involved him playing in teams who are entirely on the front foot and his own game involves driving forward from deep positions whether that is as a centre-back, a left back or occasionally as a left wing-back. He very rarely has to play in a busy area of the park where he has to constantly make quick decisions under aggressive pressure.

He’s verging on world class and could do it no problem. 

5 hours ago, Steve_Wilkos said:

Oh dear, what a shame for the lad.

V4qrdr.gif

That's pretty pathetic. Just cause he left a fourth rate club for a third rate one.

If somebody offered to triple your wages would you stay out of loyalty to your employer?  Would you f**k, so grow up a bit eh. 

14 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Tierney is our best player, he can adapt to any system, he could quite easily play as a forward. Hes that good and I genuinely am not being sarcastic. Really great players adapt easily and he does.

I've thought for a long time Tierney would be class as a defensive midfielder. He has all the attributes necessary, tenacious in the tackle, sniffs danger, technically good, can pass it, mobile, aggressive, clever. He would stroll it there.

We could do a lot worse, and can replace him at LCB. Clarke won't do it though, too late now, easier just to replace Jack with a conventional midfielder.  But every one we have available would do a worse job than Tierney defensively.

1 minute ago, gannonball said:

Tierney for Sweeper Keeper?

We just don't have another midfielder who offers good protection to the defence like Jack did or Tierney would. McGregor is absolutely howling, the rest aren't really defensive minded players. 

McTominay can do it but it isn't the best use of him, though he may end up being the one.

7 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

We just don't have another midfielder who offers good protection to the defence like Jack did or Tierney would. McGregor is absolutely howling, the rest aren't really defensive minded players. 

McTominay can do it but it isn't the best use of him, though he may end up being the one.

The best spell I have seen Mcgregor play for Celtic was when Brown was out the team injured and he was the anchor. However we had a lot more possession then and it was more his dictating of play and long balls that were impressive so perhaps not relevant to who we are looking to cover.
As for Scotland a central midfield of Mcgregor,Mctominay and Mcginn should be absolutely fine, all of them have battling defensive qualities amongst them that will hopefully cover for the loss of Jack. I personally don't see the point of trying out a most likely half fit Tierney there as he is still needed more further back to organise the defence.

Edited by gannonball

The best spell I have seen Mcgregor play for Celtic was when Brown was out the team injured and he was the anchor. However we had a lot more possession then and it was more his dictating of play and long balls that were impressive so perhaps not relevant to who we are looking to cover.

Yeah he was class there for Celtic but struggled a bit for Scotland. It was funny/lucky that he started getting played there just as we were coming up to an international break with McGinn or Shinnie as the only options for the role.

42 minutes ago, gannonball said:

As for Scotland a central midfield of Mcgregor,Mctominay and Mcginn should be absolutely fine, all of them have battling defensive qualities amongst them that will hopefully cover for the loss of Jack. I personally don't see the point of trying out a most likely half fit Tierney there as he is still needed more further back to organise the defence.

McGregor's best qualities are on the ball where's he's generally half-decent though has been shite in his last few Scotland appearances.

But we need a different type of player, its very different to playing for Celtic where they have the ball most of the time and are putting teams under pressure. Jack was perfect and will be a big miss, we don't really have another like him.

Ridiculous as it sounds McRorie is probably the closest.

22 hours ago, Steve_Wilkos said:

Oh dear, what a shame for the lad.

V4qrdr.gif

Red Card GIFs | Tenor

21 hours ago, AJF said:

Folk that can’t put aside club rivalry when discussing the national team are weirdos.

Very weird. Not as weird as fans as of a certain club going out their way to support every opposing nation but still weird. 

4 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

I'm not in any way advocating that he should come in, but surely Scott Brown is the closest to Jack (and theoretically could come in)?

Not you personally but that can get clamped and put in the bin right away. Coming out of retirement the first time for the England games was bad enough, to do it again ooft. I'd be seething. Fair enough if folk get to a certain age and want to prolong their club career but don't grovel back when it suits.

Hate him when he plays for Rangers but he has been one of the most improved players in Scotland in the last 2 seasons. Very under rated. Massive loss.

It will be hard enough for us but if we lose KT and McGinn for the Euros we'd be as well chucking it.