Ryan Jack to miss the Euros

G51

Yeah I think a couple goals we conceded last break don’t happen with him in team. There was little to no pressure pressed on the crosser for goal v austria and for a couple of the longer range efforts which went in. Admittedly marshall deserves some blame for them also 

It's also annoying that the two players who'd make the most sense to fill in are needed elsewhere on the park. That said, if Tierney makes it then I'd be tempted to just go with Cooper at RCB and McTominay in midfield as you'd imagine the emphasis on playing out will be much lower at the Euros.

11 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

It's also annoying that the two players who'd make the most sense to fill in are needed elsewhere on the park. That said, if Tierney makes it then I'd be tempted to just go with Cooper at RCB and McTominay in midfield as you'd imagine the emphasis on playing out will be much lower at the Euros.

I think it pretty much guarantees McTominay is in midfield.  Which is no bad thing.   I have a feeling Tierney won't make it either.  Two of the most important players in terms of squad balance.

51 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Disaster is probably exaggerating a bit but definitely a blow.

Probably. But when you consider that in the 8 competitive starts Jack has made for Scotland, we've only lost 1 of those matches, it shows he is a key player for us.

Edited by AJF

First things first, I'm really sorry for the guy. He might never get another chance to play in a tournament finals and with two of the games being at Hampden this one will always be unique. This is what you fantasise about while playing football as a kid. He must be crushed.

Mad that this is probably worse for us than if we lost a guy who's won the Champions League. He's exactly the right player for our set-up and nobody can quite do the same job.

Jack is one of those guys that if you'd said that 18 months ago, you'd be met with an overwhelming 'meh' from folk but in a very short time, he's almost made himself as important to what we do as 2007 Alan Hutton was.

He'll be a huge miss for us.

3 hours ago, craigkillie said:

An absolute disaster this, we weren't able to properly replace him in the last triple header. There's not another player in the squad who can do what he does.

I think Tierney should be asked to replicate Jack’s role, although it’s a huge blow. McKenna can play the left centre back position in a 2 or a 3. 

Edited by woof!

I think Tierney should be asked to replicate Jack’s role, although it’s a huge blow. McKenna can play the left centre back position in a 2 or a 3. 

Tierney should be asked to play on the right-hand side of central midfield? It's a suggestion, certainly, not a sensible one, but still a suggestion.

53 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Tierney should be asked to play on the right-hand side of central midfield? It's a suggestion, certainly, not a sensible one, but still a suggestion.

Yes, easily. However,  if McTominay was playing in midfield in a 3-5-2, Jack would more likely have played as the left player of a central three and no one would have batted an eyelid i.e. McTominay, McGinn, Jack. McGinn being further forward than the defensive pairing. So now it’s McTominay, McGinn, Tierney. 

We need someone in there who will put pressure on the ball like Jack does, and it can’t be Callum McGregor. 

Edited by woof!

Real shame for Jack. He contributed to getting us there so devastating he can't come to the main event. Feel for him.

As to his place in the side it seems we have a bit of a shortage of more defensive leaning midfielders, as above can only see McTominay being asked to fill the void which may impact the back 3 selection too.

Fleck or McLean could be asked to take on the role but I'm not sure either is suited to it.