Top 5 ruined football tournaments

Latino Lover

I watched that game in a hotel in a Washington DC with one gloating German there. Not a huge England fan anyway, comically upson started and scored. 

the last few World Cups I feel the stadiums have became a big samey bar one or two. Italia 90 was my first wc I can remember had beasts like the San Siro and olimpico plus quite unique stadia in Turin, Genoa, Bari, Florence and bologna. 

premier league soon to join this list after today’s news.

Incredibly I had forgotten about that glorious match [emoji23]
I was genuinely disappointed Germany didn't go on to score 6 or 7. They tore England to shreds.
I recall getting something mental like 7/4 on Germany for that game - I put it down to a rise in online betting coupled with English exceptionalism skewing the odds. I still get English mates spouting the "if Lampard's goal was given we'd have gone on and won that" pish. Aye,and if the Dutch hadn't strolled straight up the park and scored after that Gemmill effort we'd have won the trophy in '78.

1 minute ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:
On 17/04/2021 at 22:34, Day of the Lords said:
Incredibly I had forgotten about that glorious match emoji23.png
I was genuinely disappointed Germany didn't go on to score 6 or 7. They tore England to shreds.

I recall getting something mental like 7/4 on Germany for that game - I put it down to a rise in online betting coupled with English exceptionalism skewing the odds. I still get English mates spouting the "if Lampard's goal was given we'd have gone on and won that" pish. Aye,and if the Dutch hadn't strolled straight up the park and scored after that Gemmill effort we'd have won the trophy in '78.

Hadn't England drawn with some other bang average team prior? I'm sure I remember their keeper chucking one in the next in a 1-1 draw. I was pished as f**k at the time tbf

7 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

Hadn't England drawn with some other bang average team prior? I'm sure I remember their keeper chucking one in the next in a 1-1 draw. I was pished as f**k at the time tbf

They'd managed to crawl out of a group where they had two draws - 1-1 against USA was not as embarrassing as Algeria. I think that was the game where a pigeon or some local equivalent was nestled comfily on the Algerian goalnet and was entirely undisturbed for quite some considerable time. Iwas only a scraped 1-0 against Slovenia (Slovakia?) that got them through - at which point the media down here went straight back into "we're going to win this" mode. A quadrennial phenomenon which I find amusing and pitiable in equal measure. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 19/04/2021 at 07:40, WhiteRoseKillie said:

They'd managed to crawl out of a group where they had two draws - 1-1 against USA was not as embarrassing as Algeria. I think that was the game where a pigeon or some local equivalent was nestled comfily on the Algerian goalnet and was entirely undisturbed for quite some considerable time. Iwas only a scraped 1-0 against Slovenia (Slovakia?) that got them through - at which point the media down here went straight back into "we're going to win this" mode. A quadrennial phenomenon which I find amusing and pitiable in equal measure. 

Remember the headline in the S*n after the group draw was made?

Screenshot_20210515-063954_Chrome.thumb.jpg.7e7400abdd2de282180554e5782aaf42.jpg

On 19/04/2021 at 07:26, WhiteRoseKillie said:
On 17/04/2021 at 22:34, Day of the Lords said:
Incredibly I had forgotten about that glorious match emoji23.png

Lampard's "goal" didn't cross the line.

Champions league

Just shite now

World Cup

Just above being shite now

82 was best world cup imo for Football and fans, every country was unique in style and fans also and its been downhill ever since, most countries play same style of football now, the fans are shite now mainly all same like sheep with the odd exception more interested being on tv than watching the game quite often

Cup Winners/Uefa Cup/Europa

better than champions league but still far worse than previous 2 cups

Edited by BigDoddyKane

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/05/2021 at 07:50, HalfCutNinja said:

Bunch of yer da c***s

Agree, but sadly I'm one of them now and I'm getting quite depressed reading this.

The Champions League is absolutely killing football as a sport, creating huge divisions in wealth in all leagues (especially our own).

I do think the Europa was great this year. It was like the European cup of old, with a much more egalitarian feel.

The Euros were marvellous in 2004 (Greece winning was tremendous) and 2008. Expanding it has resulted in a bloated tournament.....but we wouldn't have qualified otherwise so I support it. It also results in greater funding for more Football Associations which can only be good for competition going forward.

World Cups are still great, but I do miss the stars who would come out of a WC that were hitherto unknown outside their home nation. 

Agree with MT about the top flight here. The 80's was its absolute peak with various winners and down to the wire competition. Sadly the wealth gap has rendered much of it fairly meaningless, with 3rd spot being the highest reward for all but two clubs.

Never understand why folk complain about expanded tournaments being filled with terrible sides they've no interest in watching when they could just tune in once the group stage has finished. Or start watching from the quarter-finals, if you're really old-school.

In the meantime, I'll quite happily watch Cameroon battering Argentina, Senegal embarrassing France, the bizarre sight of North Korea taking on Brazil, Algeria beating West Germany, Hungary putting double-figures past El Salvador, Argentina almost fucking up spectacularly against Iran, the Dutch swording the unbeatable Spaniards...Christ, so many. The first half of these tournaments pish all over the second half, but each to their own.

• 3 weeks later...

The 2014 World Cup was wonderful. I watched most games and there was no shortage of bonkers scorelines, right from the start. It was very refreshing after 2010, which was dull, boring and the vuvuzelas made it sound like you were watching from a beehive. 

The Champions League shot itself in the foot by going 100% to BT sport. Without terrestrial TV, competitions vanish from the public consciousness (like golf - the world's top 10 golfers could walk in to my living room right now and I wouldn't have a scooby who they are; a far cry from the days of Faldo, Ballesteros, Torrance, etc). Since the fortnightly games came off STV, people have cared less and less about it. Who won it this time? Chelsea? To absolutely no fanfare. 

The FA cup never recovered from Man U ducking it in 2000. That mortally wounded the competition. That, and they now play the final at 5 pm and put it up against other matches. It's no longer an event.