Alloa v Rovers

3 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

Can confirm Neil Parry's sending off was for denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity. Confirmed by the referee and Crawford Allan.

I'm having a mental breakdown here.

So if we're being very, very charitable to the referee, he's maybe taken the view that Parry knows the ball is already past him, and brings Ugwu down cynically? Is that the only interpretation that justifies a red card? 

51 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

So if we're being very, very charitable to the referee, he's maybe taken the view that Parry knows the ball is already past him, and brings Ugwu down cynically? Is that the only interpretation that justifies a red card? 

Pretty much. I reckon yellow card would have sufficed, even then there would be a question over whether Ugwu would get the ball after his touch past Parry so he could've arguably got away without receiving a card. A summary of the punishments for an offence inside the penalty area is:

Denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity

• Attempt to play the ball - yellow card
  • No attempt or opportunity to play the ball (holding/pushing/pulling) - red card

Not denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity but stopping a promising attack

• Attempt to play the ball - no card
  • No attempt or opportunity to play the ball (holding/pushing/pulling) - yellow card

Not denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity and also not stopping a promising attack

• No card

I would say Parry definitely attempts to play the ball so should be looking at a yellow card at worst.

Edited by ListerRRFC

Here - I was about to post without watching it again.  But look closely: Parry lifts his hand to Ugwu after the ball's past him.  It's obviously not enough to knock him down and it's not violent.  But it's making contact with him when the ball's away.  With the 'making  himself big' argument, that move is done to give yourself a chance of blocking the ball wherever it goes, it's not a deliberate attempt to play the ball.  Shroedinger's ball maybe.  A defender couldn't use that logic against a player running towards him. But Parry doesn't do that, he tries to play it - yellow card only.  Until the hand comes up and plays Ugwu.  In a really pathetic way, the ref could have it almost sort of right. 5.55 in the video.
Game's gone etc