Alloa v Rovers

Probably the only game this season that we can honestly say that we got away with grand larceny. How Alloa didn't at the very least get a draw, never mind a win, is a mystery. However, it's now history and in the records as 2-1 Rovers and there will be no description of how that came about in future reference to these records.

Edited by embow

Results far more important that performances at this stage of the season. We all know how good we can be on our day and I’m sure we’ll be better when we get our 5 starters back but the result is all the matters right now.

6 points from away trips to Alloa and QOS is an excellent return after the late disappointment of last week.

I think it’s fair to say we stole the 3 points yesterday but I think there’s a case to be made that is potentially the first time this season we have got much more out of a game than we deserved. I’m struggling to think of another game where I’ve felt we’ve been fortunate to get the points we have.

I think it’s the type of game that sums up the 2 teams positions. Alloa are not a bad side at all but it’s the type of result that happens when you are bottom of the table and used to losing and things not falling your way and for us it is 3 points you pick up when in the habit of winning.

All the best to Alloa for next season.

9 hours ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

Looking at the highlights, was Parry's sending off due to a 'studs up, 2 footed challenge'?

I think that's the most likely reason, serious foul play.

ETA having re-read Leo.....'s post about the ref saying it was violent conduct and the reason he, apparently, gave, I think that seems a better explanation. If Parry was going for the ball it could be serious foul play, but if he isn't then that would make it violent conduct. I think it's a decision which could have gone either way and Parry might get it downgraded to yellow if we appeal. Perfectly possible that it won't be. 

Whatever, it's our own fault again, Taggs pissing about instead of just clearing the ball when under pressure and Parry putting in a silly challenge.

Edited by printer

17 hours ago, Raith_Raver said:

The standard of refereeing here is abysmal. Unusually we got the benefit of it today, but there needs to be some independent body to hold them to account.  At present they can behave with impunity.

Nonsense.

17 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

Do you think giving an example of a decision which was upheld by a disciplinary panel is a good one to illustrate a refs previous "bizarre" decisions?

1 hour ago, printer said:

Do you think giving an example of a decision which was upheld by a disciplinary panel is a good one to illustrate a refs previous "bizarre" decisions?

Could also be that the disciplinary panel were sacked after upholding this decision. But Greg Aitken remains in the job and continues to make the rules up as he's going along.

4 hours ago, printer said:

I'd say that considering the disciplinary panel was subject to ridicule throughout the UK after reaching that decision, that it probably is a decent example. 

Pretty much echoing the sentiment here. No issue with the penalty award. Ugwu probably played for it a bit but can see why hes given it.

Just cant see how the referee feels Parry has come out of his goal with the intention of clearing the player out. His reaction of trying to make himself bigger is typical of a goalkeeper when an opposition player is through on goal. Completely wrong colour of card for the offence.

As mentioned, it was caused by Taggart dithering in possession, which was quite a surprise as hed been excellent up to that point in the game. Appears linesman alerted the referee there was a foul on Taggart in the build up and ref over ruled him, and that's why the Alloa players were loudly protesting. I can see both sides with that one, but had he given a foul I think it would have been soft. It was the type of aggressive pressing you love to see from your frontmen.

Was pleased to see us go down fighting, but we really should have converted one or two of those chances later in the game. MacDonald is a brilliant keeper and he saved really well from Cameron. But it's a chance you would have expected Cameron to convert, similarly when Trouts hit the post right in front of goal. All of these elements unfortunately summed up much of our season.

Thanks to all for the positive commentary feedback, and best of luck to Rovers in the playoffs- nothing to fear against the others for me.

Just wanted to add that the game presentation was really good, I ran it through my TV and it didn't buffer once. The only minor (and this is me being picky) is that there wasn't really anything presented at half time other than a loop of the highlights. Other than that it was one of the better away streams I've seen this season.

3 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

Could also be that the disciplinary panel were sacked after upholding this decision. But Greg Aitken remains in the job and continues to make the rules up as he's going along.

It's laws mate, not rules.

Can confirm Neil Parry's sending off was for denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity. Confirmed by the referee and Crawford Allan.

Where a player commits an offence against an opponent within their own penalty area which denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity and the referee awards a penalty kick, the offending player is cautioned if the offence was an attempt to play the ball; in all other circumstances (e.g. holding, pulling, pushing, no possibility to play the ball etc.) the offending player must be sent off.

I'm having a mental breakdown here.

3 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

Can confirm Neil Parry's sending off was for denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity. Confirmed by the referee and Crawford Allan.

I thought that's what keepers are there for...

...and I dont think that rule is meant for he keeper going for the ball either