Alloa v Rovers

3 hours ago, HIT THE CHANNEL said:

If we want second (which in both financial terms and giving us a far better chance of promotion terms is really vital), we just have to win. Dundee are up at ICT on Tuesday, meaning we win and they get a draw/defeat, a draw will do us at Dens for second. Really don't want to be needing anything off Hearts on the last day.

With the 12pm kick off, it is going to be either 1) a brutal hangover on Sunday as celebration beers start much earlier or 2) the longest Saturday afternoon/evening of all time wallowing. Mon option 1!

Given we don’t actually “have to win” for second, and it just makes our course easier, you have to be concerned as a Rovers fan. That being said, this team seems able to handle that pressure, now can they deliver?

Wee bit surprised to see questions over the surface at the Recs. I don't recall any major complaints or issues since it was re-laid, think it has generally been seen as one of the best plastic pitches in the SPFL. 

As for the game, hard to know what we'll get from Alloa. Understand Raith fans saying we'll come out fighting etc but let's be honest, everyone knows we're going down. The performance at Tynecastle was most unlike this Alloa team in that the heads dropped. Even when we have struggled at times they always keep at it. I think it was a reaction to the blow of the previous two games where they chucked away two crucial points late against Ayr then lost the six pointer against Arbroath. Following that and then losing a couple of goals at Tynecastle they looked a tired team and the fight seemed to go out of them.

This Alloa team has also been noted for following rare shite performances with much better ones. We'll see here if that is still the case. I certainly hope they can finish with something of a flourish in the last three games as it's been a terrific Alloa side over a few seasons and it would be sad to go out with a whimper. 

21 minutes ago, Waspie said:

Wee bit surprised to see questions over the surface at the Recs. I don't recall any major complaints or issues since it was re-laid, think it has generally been seen as one of the best plastic pitches in the SPFL.

That perception is linked what we're saying about the QOS pitch, with people supposing (me included) that your pitch is the same or similar. I hope we're wrong then.

58 minutes ago, Waspie said:

I've not got any quotable sources but I'm pretty sure that Raith installing a plastic pitch was heavily influenced by the experience on ours. Which makes some of the comments in this thread even funnier.

As far as I'm aware we've got identical carpets  - we're just a few years further along in the life cycle - so ghosts of Christmas future for you guys at Starks.

I saw no problem at all with Alloa's pitch when we played there earlier in the season. 

Looking forward to a hard fought game and hopefully we can take 3 points which would be huge in the quest for 2nd place, as several have said it ain't going to be easy, Alloa look to be dead and buried but will definitely fight for all they are worth.

1 hour ago, LeodhasXD said:

I've not got any quotable sources but I'm pretty sure that Raith installing a plastic pitch was heavily influenced by the experience on ours. Which makes some of the comments in this thread even funnier.

As far as I'm aware we've got identical carpets  - we're just a few years further along in the life cycle - so ghosts of Christmas future for you guys at Starks.

If that's true it'd be because of any financial gain Alloa could demonstrate to Mr Sim and nothing to do with the quality of the surface, trust me he's not wired that way.

26 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

I'm not sure how much other pitches are watered, but the one at Starks has an unholy amount of water put down pre game, and probably throughout the week.

I played on it on Sunday night after that 20 min snow/sleat shower, it was slick as anything. Watering it makes a massive difference to when it's dry.

Depends how old your pitch is I guess, as you say ghost of Christmas future for us. Artificial surfaces are really good but need to be relaid every few years and if they’re not they become very poor surfaces. Montrose’s pitch always struck me as beyond its life unless they’ve relaid it recently. Last time I was at the Recs yours looked good but it’s been a couple of years so can’t comment.

4 hours ago, Scottydog said:

I played on it on Sunday night after that 20 min snow/sleat shower, it was slick as anything. Watering it makes a massive difference to when it's dry.

This. 

I burnt about 3 layers of skin off my leg trying to slide tackle someone faster than me. 

Brilliant surface though. 

51 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

Depends how old your pitch is I guess, as you say ghost of Christmas future for us. Artificial surfaces are really good but need to be relaid every few years and if they’re not they become very poor surfaces. Montrose’s pitch always struck me as beyond its life unless they’ve relaid it recently. Last time I was at the Recs yours looked good but it’s been a couple of years so can’t comment.

There is also the matter of underlayment. Raith spent an extra £200,000 or such getting the proper underlayment to support the surface, improve the performance and ease the replacement. In a perfect world, if your rug is properly maintained, it’s due for replacement every 10 years.

16 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

Musonda joining Vaughan, Matthews and Gullan on the "pretty much nae chance" list for tomorrow, with MacDonald slightly more likely, according to Alan Temple's article after an interview with McGlynn. 

Cannae just be a nice, straightforward run in, can it? 

That is grim. At least they’ll be fresh for the play offs right!?

On the reasonable assumption that none of the above make it, I guess we are looking at the following:

MacDonald

Tumilty    
Davidson
Bene     
Armstrong

King   
Spencer    
Hendry

Tait   
Ugwu     
Kennedy

Which is just about every senior outfield player we have except Abraham and Duku. Really need Ugwu and King to repeat their performances at Palmerston then we might be okay. Doesn’t leave much options on the bench if things aren’t working.

The games against Alloa have been an enjoyable watch this season in a break from tradition for this fixture. 11 goals in the 2 games. Alloa are a good footballing side but also allow the opposition to play football too which has suited us.

Any win will do but will not be easy to get. In our last 7 games against the current bottom 4 we have only won 3 and scored 8 goals. However, as above, I can see Alloa approaching the game a bit more positively than Ayr/Morton did against us which should leave space for our attacking players but they have enough attacking threats of their own to cause us bother.

I’ll try and be positive and predict we sneak it 2-1. Kai Kennedy to get back amongst the goals.