Alloa v Rovers

Anything but an Alloa win and they are relegated, albeit if Arbroath, or Morton in midweek, win it won’t matter anyway. We have been incredibly consistent over the last wee while, both in terms of performances and results, and you’d like to think that will continue here. With Dundee playing Inverness in Inverness on Tuesday night, a win would be a huge step towards 2nd.

This is not a foregone conclusion. MvGlynn mentioned how the QOS pitch affected our game and the Recs will be similar. Alloa will also be motivated to go out with a bang. Still, we'd hope to have a couple of players back, maybe more.

On paper it should be an away win but Alloa won’t care what the form book says or the league table. They’re pretty much down barring a miracle but they’re still playing for pride and in many cases a new contract. The Rec isn’t normally a happy hunting ground for us and we need to ensure we give Alloa the respect they’re due or like Arbroath last week we’ll drop points here. Dundee and Hearts left after this so we really need a win to keep the chasing pack at arms length. Hopefully we’ve a few more back from injury for this one.

McGlynn to continue to rest players.

MacDonald, Tumilty, Musonda, Bene, Davo (if available), King, Kennedy, Spencer, Tait, Duku, Armstrong. Full use of the subs with 30+ mins run outs for Hendry, Vaughan and Gullan.

Or not! 😁

Seriously I expect a re-run of Tuesday, hopefully with the same result.

I don’t think there’s any question we’ll play the strongest available side here and I find it a bit weird anyone would speculate that we wouldn’t. Fitness has to be considered obviously, we’ve clearly got a fair few injuries at the moment and I’m sure a few of the players who have been playing will be carrying knocks/fatigue too. But so be it.

Just the latest massive game, as of course they all are at this stage of the season. But a win here would secure play-offs mathematically, have us 9 clear of ICT in 3rd with three to play, and 5 clear of Dundee in 2nd. It certainly wouldn’t do it mathematically but I suspect three points would have us very close to securing 2nd.

Alloa won’t go down without a fight though. I certainly think we deserve the six points we have from them but with a little bit of luck they could’ve got something from both games. Nothing to lose so you’d expect them to be throwing bodies forward if the game is in the balance in the second half.

We have to play our strongest 11 to give us the best chance of getting the 3 points here. We don't play a midweek game again until the playoffs themselves so the players have time to rest. The higher our final placing the more time to rest after the league for players to recover from injuries.

This is basically a free hit for Alloa - they need to win or they are down and even then a win may not be enough. They will come at us and give it a bloody good go. 

Difficult game for us, this one. Our last outing at the Recs certainly banished the demons of a place where we have had a lot of pain over the years, but they will throw everything at us and we need to be at our best to take the points and secure the playoffs, enhancing our chances of second place in the process. 

Interesting to see how McGlynn sets up here. I expect Alloa will come at us and so we need to be prepared for that. Matthew returning, if possible, would be a huge boost here. 

If we want second (which in both financial terms and giving us a far better chance of promotion terms is really vital), we just have to win. Dundee are up at ICT on Tuesday, meaning we win and they get a draw/defeat, a draw will do us at Dens for second. Really don't want to be needing anything off Hearts on the last day.

With the 12pm kick off, it is going to be either 1) a brutal hangover on Sunday as celebration beers start much earlier or 2) the longest Saturday afternoon/evening of all time wallowing. Mon option 1!

Strongest team please.  I'll start worrying about the playoffs if and when we are confirmed there.  Also, 2nd place would be massive financially for the club - as well as the obvious advantages for promotion.

Tuesday was great, the other result helped us and the fact that Dundee play ICT is helpful also.  However, there is a job to be done and we can't take it for granted.  Alloa gave us a scare at Starks Park, are no mugs, and have zero pressure on them going into the game.  

Massive game. 

Tbh I can’t see anything other than McGlynn playing our strongest possible team, barring injuries of course. Win and it’s a guaranteed play off place and puts us in a strong position going into the Dundee game to cement that second place. Without being complacent, I’m fully pretty optimistic going into the game that we can get maximum points against Alloa this season. Fingers crossed 🤞 

15 minutes ago, Sheacki said:

Tbh I can’t see anything other than McGlynn playing our strongest possible team, barring injuries of course. Win and it’s a guaranteed play off place and puts us in a strong position going into the Dundee game to cement that second place. Without being complacent, I’m fully pretty optimistic going into the game that we can get maximum points against Alloa this season. Fingers crossed 🤞 

Which is it then,  fully optimistic or pretty optimistic? 

My slight worry is that we take our foot of the pedal thinking the job has been done after Tuesday.

I doubt McGlynn will let them adopt that mindset though. I wouldn't want to be going into the Dundee and Hearts games still needing a win to be sure of a top 4 finish so lets just get it done on Saturday.

2 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Which is it then,  fully optimistic or pretty optimistic? 

Lol, was going to say fully confident but then changed it to pretty optimistic, forgot to delete the ‘fully’