Favourite wrestling match from the year you were born.

TheGoon

Saw this on Twitter and the thought it was quite interesting. It’s obviously before the years any of us classed ourselves as a fan, so has relied on going back and watching stuff over the years. 

I’m 1996, so HBK/Mankind from Mind Games obviously sticks out, and the 2 out of 3 falls between Mysterio & Juvi in ECW. The Iron Man match at Mania 12 never really did anything for me, but HBK had an unbelievable year in 96. Probably the wrestler I’ve seen the most of from that year. 

I think I’m one of the younger ones, so good luck to folk going back to the mid 80s for this :lol: 

1990 so the one that naturally comes to mind is Hogan vs Warrior at Mania 6. I would actually say that that is the Wrestlemania I have watched back the most out of any of them so fair enough.

Sting winning the belt for the first time off Ric Flair (Great American Bash) sticks out as well.

Bit of a hidden gem - Ronnie Garvin and Greg Valentine in an I Quit Match at the Royal Rumble.

• 4 months later...

Oh, you young things. I'll go with this gem from 2 days before I was born. 

Wrestling n 1957

11-19-1957: At a WWWF show at Madison Square Garden following a double disqualification match between Dr. Jerry Graham & Dick the Bruiser verses Antonino Rocca & Eduardo Carpentier, a riot erupts. Several fans and police officers were injured in the riot and Graham and Bruiser had to literally fight their way out of the arena. The New York State Athletic Commission met as a result and fined Graham & Bruiser $1000 each and Rocca & Carpentier $500 each and banned children under 14 from attending wrestling shows and Dick the Bruiser was banned for life from wrestling in the state of New York. Other matches included: Miguel Perez defeated Danny McShain… Pat O’Connor battled Don Eagle to a draw… Ludwig Von Krupp & Karl Von Hess battled Luis Martinez & Edouard Castillo to a draw… Skull Murphy defeated Great Scott… Chief Big Heart defeated Paul Berger… Felix Lamban defeated Bob Langevin.

• 4 weeks later...

1990 - Not the best match obviously but the 4v4 at Survivor Series with Taker debut. The start of the greatest gimmick/superstar ever IMO

Rick Rude v Ultimate Warrior at Summerslam in the Blue Cage gets an honourable mention. Rude always got a half decent match out Warrior.

• 8 months later...
On 14/04/2021 at 19:18, tongue_tied_danny said:

Has to be the famous bout when Big Daddy removed Kendo Nagasaki's mask.

I watched this bout on tv, just before the results, brilliant. 

Mick McManus. Everybody's favourite baddy. Or alternatively Jackie Pallo, another git. Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks. How could any Tag team beat those two, must have weighed Fifty stone between them. George Kidd from Dundee who was a World Champ, he never got beaten. But the funniest was Catweasel.. He would carefully roll up his cape then throw it over his shoulder out the ring. I remember watching a bout and the telly ticker showed the latest's from Dens park. Dundee 0 Aberdeen 5. Strachan 4 goals. Such day's