Clyde v Dumbarton

Fair play to Dumbarton. That'll be exactly the game they planned for. We failed to counteract their plan and looked jaded throughout, almost to a man.

I wouldn't bash Lennon for putting Lang up top. He done more than Goodwillie, Jamieson, Jack or just about anyone else to get us in possession high up the park. That he was thrashing around trying to make chances and then finding that it was he again who was in a position to finish those off only reflects badly on those around him to me. Not on him or on Lennon's decision to move him up.

Dumbarton sat so deeply in the second-half that the truly counterproductive thing was for us to be faffing about with it at the back and in midfield, failing time and time again to break through with a string of passes. We never got closer than when we stuck balls in from deep, picked up on a second from there or sent a player to the line with one over the top. Anything short of that struck me as being bound to fail given how closed the Dumbarton ranks were.

I do think Lennon got it wrong tactically though. That is, for failing to insist on a more direct approach immediately after we went a goal down and for keeping on shattered players like Love, Nicoll, Munro and even Goodwillie for so long.

Dumbarton were only ever going to play one way. I think it'd have been better if we went out with a mandate to keep a clean sheet for the first sixty minutes in a tighter shape and then threw on the likes of Jamieson, Hosler, Otoo later. Clearly the finer tactical decisions as much as fitness can win these games.

Guest andyp1301
Just now, haufdaft said:

Why not accept you were just over-egging the pudding?

Just now, haufdaft said:

Why not accept you were just over-egging the pudding?

Exaggerated to make the point...so sue me. When the bloody hell are we going to see where the problem is with this football club, instead of sniping at each other.

We go down and this Board stays...people will go!!

Guest andyp1301
3 minutes ago, the_bully_wee said:
5 minutes ago, andyp1301 said:
Give him a decent budget then judge him

Ah yes, we shouldn't judge a (very-well-)paid employee unless their working conditions are completely ideal. Naff off.

Well paid? You think? 

1 minute ago, squeezeboxson said:

Half (at least) of League 1 have a smaller budget than QP surely?

Shite.

It's not just budgets that win leagues is it.  Coaching contributes as does tactical craft. Are we saying at Montrose have a huge budget or has their guy identified the obvious gaps they had and responded?  We absolutely got out of jail last year in not having a LB...what did we do? Signed a CH. We get a cracking LB on loan. What did DL do? Played our left midfielder at LB.

Some real questions for DL to address.

Guest andyp1301
2 minutes ago, Bully Wee Clyde FC said:

Shite.

It's not just budgets that win leagues is it.  Coaching contributes as does tactical craft. Are we saying at Montrose have a huge budget or has their guy identified the obvious gaps they had and responded?  We absolutely got out of jail last year in not having a LB...what did we do? Signed a CH. We get a cracking LB on loan. What did DL do? Played our left midfielder at LB.

They are all out on their feet, 4 players carrying and doubtful for tonight......Lennon out then.......good luck

2 minutes ago, Bully Wee Clyde FC said:

Shite.

Is that really shite though? Queens Park are full time and the players they have signed haven't all signed based on the big sell from the management team. They will be paying comfortably more than Dumbarton, Clyde and Forfar can afford. Probably bigger than Montrose, because they are well managed and have built a competitive team over a number of season and are not full time. I think you could probably add in East Fife and  Peterhead into the equation too.

Not sure if you have misread my post to be honest... 👍

18 minutes ago, Clydeside said:

Fair play to Dumbarton. That'll be exactly the game they planned for. We failed to counteract their plan and looked jaded throughout, almost to a man.

I wouldn't bash Lennon for putting Lang up top. He done more than Goodwillie, Jamieson, Jack or just about anyone else to get us in possession high up the park. That he was thrashing around trying to make chances and then finding that it was he again who was in a position to finish those off only reflects badly on those around him to me. Not on him or on Lennon's decision to move him up.

Dumbarton sat so deeply in the second-half that the truly counterproductive thing was for us to be faffing about with it at the back and in midfield, failing time and time again to break through with a string of passes. We never got closer than when we stuck balls in from deep, picked up on a second from there or sent a player to the line with one over the top. Anything short of that struck me as being bound to fail given how closed the Dumbarton ranks were.

I do think Lennon got it wrong tactically though. That is, for failing to insist on a more direct approach immediately after we went a goal down and for keeping on shattered players like Love, Nicoll, Munro and even Goodwillie for so long.

Dumbarton were only ever going to play one way. I think it'd have been better if we went out with a mandate to keep a clean sheet for the first sixty minutes in a tighter shape and then threw on the likes of Jamieson, Hosler, Otoo later. Clearly the finer tactical decisions as much as fitness can win these games.

We sat deep in the 2nd half? Maybe the last 5 minutes, but up until that point we were creating chance after chance and bar some poor finishing and a decent save from the Clyde keeper we really should have been more than one up.

I actually thought we played well tonight and had a fair bit of attacking intent. I was actually concerned we were committing too many men forward at one point around the 75th minute mark when Clyde broke up the park.

Absolutely seething so I am. Rested EIGHT players on Tuesday to fling in an absolutely shocking performance against our ‘rivals’ to then fling in that monstrosity tonight? Very disappointing.
Credit to Dumbarton, you looked better than us, that’s for sure.
Tehesmiling-chimp.jpeg

45 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

We sat deep in the 2nd half? Maybe the last 5 minutes, but up until that point we were creating chance after chance and bar some poor finishing and a decent save from the Clyde keeper we really should have been more than one up.

I actually thought we played well tonight and had a fair bit of attacking intent. I was actually concerned we were committing too many men forward at one point around the 75th minute mark when Clyde broke up the park.

Yes, when Dumbarton went up the park they had a menace about them here and there. I don't disagree. Duffy obviously gave a handful of your players the freedom to counter or remain higher up. It didn't result in many attempts on goal to my memory but I could agree that Jones, whoever played on your left and the players round about could've nicked another. Duffy had us watched on Tuesday, that much I know. He should've sussed that he'd be playing a tired team. And I think the tempo Dumbarton started with could've been an attempt to get an early one.

But to my point, I should've been clearer. If you took a still of Clyde in possession from roughly 60 minutes onward you'd see hardly any space between the Dumbarton lines. And your defence didn't sustain a line beyond the centre circle for any long period in the second half that I remember. Much of the time while we were in posession it was around or deeper than the 18 yard. And quite understandably, you were in no rush with throw-ins and whatnot from maybe around 70 minutes. Being content to counter.

This all grew to be more the case as the game went on of course. I think everyone would agree Dumbarton are a decent and well organised team out of possession for defensive ends. You could probably snip bits of the second-half and see big giant spaces in some passages of play because it's two tired part-time teams doing battle during the week but if you account for how many touches players had to take to cue up a pass and how dialled-down players' pace and work-rate was, those spaces don't add up to exploitable ones in the way they ususally would. We laboured to get face on to Dumbarton from a midfield position for much of the night and if ever we did you'd closed ranks, forced us wide or nicked it back.

Edited by Clydeside
Extra paragraph; typos

20 minutes ago, squeezeboxson said:

Is that really shite though? Queens Park are full time and the players they have signed haven't all signed based on the big sell from the management team. They will be paying comfortably more than Dumbarton, Clyde and Forfar can afford. Probably bigger than Montrose, because they are well managed and have built a competitive team over a number of season and are not full time. I think you could probably add in East Fife and  Peterhead into the equation too.

Not sure if you have misread my post to be honest... 👍

Didn't mean any offense rather challenging the notion that the team with the biggest budget (always) wins.  

QP in a lovely position but their gaffer is a serial under performer.  I'm not sure there is a massive spread in budgets across the bottom championship and 75% of our league and it's too easy to say that an under achieving manager needs more money.

22 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Can I have your Lottery numbers ?

It was just ever so predictable. Can’t wait to see this all over again in the post split fixtures.

We better hope Peterhead go through a major stumble because that’s our only chance of 8th. We’re not breaking out a Duffy outfit in a crucial game, no chance.

4 minutes ago, Bully Wee Clyde FC said:

Didn't mean any offense rather challenging the notion that the team with the biggest budget (always) wins.  

QP in a lovely position but their gaffer is a serial under performer.  I'm not sure there is a massive spread in budgets across the bottom championship and 75% of our league and it's too easy to say that an under achieving manager needs more money.

I completely agree. The aforementioned Montrose are the perfect example of exactly this. I'm not too clued up on budgets but there can't be much between most of the side from mid League 1 downwards. But I think it is fair to say QP being full time and having guys like Simon Murray, Louis Longridge and Jai Quitongo in their attack probably means they have a bigger budget than most part time teams in the country.

Should add in: the years we spent in the championship completely backed up the point you are making. Not many of our fans would argue that the biggest budget means success. We watched a number of teams drop out of the championship whilst we stayed up. Glory days... 😥

Edited by squeezeboxson