Airdrieonians v Forfar Athletic

3 hours ago, AndyDD said:

We scored 3 goals rather than 1, the winning margin was double your forecast and the winner came down the left, not the right, but aye, apart fae that... 

😉

It was after Jack McKay went off though which is more the point I was getting at ;) that's now Dumbarton, Falkirk, Montrose and Forfar where we've gained more points after Jack McKay has went off the park than we had when he was on it. He was also at fault for the goal conceded at Peterhead, and both of Cove's goals came down his side. I don't want to keep picking on the guy and I actually feel a bit sorry for him. He's essentially spent an entire career being a shill for his dad and being bandied around clubs he's never going to be good enough to play for (including ours). He's also most definitely not a right-back/winger/wing-back. It's not his fault but he's so obviously the weak link in the team and him being on the pitch actively harms our chances of winning. We can all see it and other teams can presumably see it as well. Is that enough to get him dropped though? It seems unlikely. 

4 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

It was after Jack McKay went off though which is more the point I was getting at ;) that's now Dumbarton, Falkirk, Montrose and Forfar where we've gained more points after Jack McKay has went off the park than we had when he was on it. He was also at fault for the goal conceded at Peterhead, and both of Cove's goals came down his side. I don't want to keep picking on the guy and I actually feel a bit sorry for him. He's essentially spent an entire career being a shill for his dad and being bandied around clubs he's never going to be good enough to play for (including ours). He's also most definitely not a right-back/winger/wing-back. It's not his fault but he's so obviously the weak link in the team and him being on the pitch actively harms our chances of winning. We can all see it and other teams can presumably see it as well. Is that enough to get him dropped though? It seems unlikely. 

Hahaha yeah you were spot on with that. 

I do feel sorry for him in a way, in that he has been quite unlucky; he scores a good goal against Thistle and is only a miraculous save away from scoring a double before they go down the park and change the game. He was denied a goal again last night by a brilliant bit of goalkeeping and then a goal-line clearance, a goal which again would have made it 2-0 and secured the points early doors. It's also worth pointing out that we don't score our first goal Vs Falkirk if he doesn't put the pressure on their keeper, who then palms it right to Roy. The guy isn't a defender, lacks the positional awareness which can and has hurt us and can be wasteful in possession. He is a goal threat (he had two good chances to score himself V falkirk, one blazed over and one shot right at the goalie) and I think his decent pace and willingness to get forward has pushed the left side of the oppositions back at times during his games on that basis because they know he's going forward at decent pelt so can't leave him, but there are better players who really ought to have his place in the XI. 

17 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

Hahaha yeah you were spot on with that. 

I do feel sorry for him in a way, in that he has been quite unlucky; he scores a good goal against Thistle and is only a miraculous save away from scoring a double before they go down the park and change the game. He was denied a goal again last night by a brilliant bit of goalkeeping and then a goal-line clearance, a goal which again would have made it 2-0 and secured the points early doors. It's also worth pointing out that we don't score our first goal Vs Falkirk if he doesn't put the pressure on their keeper, who then palms it right to Roy. The guy isn't a defender, lacks the positional awareness which can and has hurt us and can be wasteful in possession. He is a goal threat (he had two good chances to score himself V falkirk, one blazed over and one shot right at the goalie) and I think his decent pace and willingness to get forward has pushed the left side of the oppositions back at times during his games on that basis because they know he's going forward at decent pelt so can't leave him, but there are better players who really ought to have his place in the XI. 

Haha aye I don’t really know where this idea that he can play out wide has come from, other than that he’s reasonably athletic. But possibly it’s doing him a bit of a disservice. He’ll probably feel he deserves a chance upfront but that’s Roy, Gallagher and now Connell playing themselves into a bit of form. Plus Carrick is also a better known quantity. 

9 hours ago, Passionate said:

Thomson is an impact player at best,  he has started a few games and been completely anonymous,  he came on against For far had his run and you may as well take him back off and put him  back in the box for the next cameo....Whatever Murray has done with that team i wouldn't change much, basically it is working,    Paul Paton will be fit for the EF game would  imagine he will return to the side, who would be replace.....

Fair point indeed on Thomson: I wonder if he would have kept doing that initial move had Gallagher scored? Should Paton be fit I would be tempted to move Dale Carrick to that wide right since he can attack on the inside , and he has Paul McKay providing good athletic cover behind him. I hope Paton will be fit, as I worry about another one man midfield despite Dale's work rate there