Airdrieonians v Forfar Athletic

Guest bernardblack
10 minutes ago, mr_malcolm said:

You seriously thought we had a chance of staying up????

What can I say, I’m a hopeless optimist. 

Well we made it difficult for ourselves but I'll take it. Still the same problems that have largely been present all season. Odd team selection, no discernible shape, poor defending for the goal, caught out too easily on the break and not clinical enough. Delighted for Kyle Connell and Gal in particular. They've both been needing a goal (albeit I do think our first goal on Saturday should be credited as Gallagher's) and that miss was horrendous. One of the worst you'll see. He made up for it though and him and Connell dug us out of a hole. Kyle Turner is a real touch of class. Far too good for this level and you can see how much better and more dangerous we are when we're playing through him. If we'd had a player half as good as he is from the start of the season we'd have probably won this miserable league already. Praying that we get him and Paton playing together in the midfield at some point. 

As for Jack McKay, there's nothing left to say that hasn't already been said. Thomson literally did more in about 5 seconds than McKay did in his entire time on the park. Which should see him emptied for next week. But it probably won't. 

Edited by airdrieman

3 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

As for Jack McKay, there's nothing left to say that hasn't already been said. Thomson literally did more in about 30 seconds than McKay did in his entire time on the park. Which should see him emptied for next week. But it probably won't. 

Agree with above apart from I'd say perhaps about 20 seconds is more realistic.

Now having seen Turner in last few games seems a very strange decision by Dunfermline to let him go out on loan.

Just watched back the open goal miss from Gallagher and it was just as unbelievable on second viewing.

3 hours ago, airdrieman said:

However, I'll remain reasonably optimistic in my prediction and say Airdrie 1-0 Forfar, Jack McKay to inexplicably start and Airdrie to score the winner down his flank when he's eventually huckled off. 

Close enough...

11 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Close enough...

We scored 3 goals rather than 1, the winning margin was double your forecast and the winner came down the left, not the right, but aye, apart fae that... 

😉

It was a bit fraught at times to watch it, but bar a bad 15 mins at the end of the first half we dominated the football match, created oodles of chances once again and played some neat and tidy passing football at times, too.

The physical and mental strength of the squad has really come good these last four games, as the late goals and the reversing of bad results into good attests.  Not to be sniffed at. On the whole we look well balanced, well drilled, comfortable in our shape, dangerous going forward and hard working off the ball, albeit there are times we drop off or lose a bit of urgency. We've timed this nicely and go into next week on the back of 4 unbeaten, 3 of which have been wins. 

Kyle Turner is too good for this division and I'm glad Gal got his goal after that miss; the cleverness of his run across for the goal he did score is the kind of thing that justified keeping him on despite the sitter, which was truly incredible. 

Forfar were pretty game and went for it a bit second half, having caused East Fife problems and fought hard against us speaks volumes for their attitude, but they did look short on quality and danger. 

On reflection it was a good performance and as frustrating as it is to see chance after chance go a-begging, it is heartening to see just how many chances we are creating in games. A touch more ruthlessness and we'll be right in contention post split. First and foremost we have a gigantic game next Tuesday; circumstances may change Saturday but assuming East Fife beat Peterhead, it's a winner takes all shoot out at our place. 

Gies it. 

12 hours ago, Caro-Kann said:

Now having seen Turner in last few games seems a very strange decision by Dunfermline to let him go out on loan.

Just watched back the open goal miss from Gallagher and it was just as unbelievable on second viewing.

Thomson is an impact player at best,  he has started a few games and been completely anonymous,  he came on against For far had his run and you may as well take him back off and put him  back in the box for the next cameo....Whatever Murray has done with that team i wouldn't change much, basically it is working,    Paul Paton will be fit for the EF game would  imagine he will return to the side, who would be replace.....

13 hours ago, Caro-Kann said:

Turner was rated at Dunfermline by fans and management. He has refused a new contract as it's believed he has offers on the table from Premiership clubs. Hearts and St Johnstone are rumoured to be potential suitors.

An important win. Don't think it was a great performance but we still scored 3 and should have scored a couple more. Still unsure about the system we are playing and the personnel within it, however I'm past caring about anything other than getting wins at this point.

Importantly, the team have shown some bottle and desire in recent games - late winner at Dumbarton, late win against Falkirk, very late equaliser at Montrose and then going on to win after being pegged back last night. The reaction of the players after those goals is telling, there looks to be a togetherness which is encouraging. We do seem to be trending upwards so I really hope we can sneak into the top 5 and give ourselves a shot at reaching the play-offs where we could continue to improve and maybe pull off a shock.