The Big P&B Hive Mind Euro 2020 Squad Thread/Poll

Les Cabbage

I've spent the last few days watching a lot of tape ahead of submitting my vote. Feeling in a good place to make appropriate selections.

I won't post it publically as I know that would likely prejudice the results somewhat given others would be influenced by my views.

Edited by Marshmallo

28 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

I've spent the last few days watching a lot of tape ahead of submitting my vote. Feeling in a good place to make appropriate selections.

I won't post it publically as I know that would likely prejudice the results somewhat given others would be influenced by my views.

Any ABL’s?

On 15/04/2021 at 15:40, The Moonster said:

Same as Bing for me but with Declan Gallagher in for Hendry and Alan McGregor to f**k. 

Goalkeepers (3)
David Marshall - Derby County
Craig Gordon - Heart of Midlothian
Jon McLaughlin - Rangers

Defenders (9)
Andy Robertson © - Liverpool
Kieran Tierney - Arsenal
Grant Hanley - Norwich City
Declan Gallagher - Motherwell
Scott McTominay - Manchester United
Scott McKenna - Nottingham Forest
Liam Cooper - Leeds
Stephen O'Donnell - Motherwell
Nathan Patterson - Rangers

Midfielders (10)
John McGinn - Aston Villa
Ryan Jack - Rangers
Callum McGregor - Celtic
Stuart Armstrong - Southampton
David Turnbull - Celtic
Ryan Christie - Celtic
Kenny McLean - Norwich City
Billy Gilmour - Chelsea
James Forrest - Celtic
Ryan Gauld - Farense

Forwards (4)
Ryan Fraser - Newcastle
Ché Adams - Southampton
Lyndon Dykes - QPR
Laurence Shankland - Dundee Utd  

I'd pick Palmer and Hendry rather than O'Donnell and Gallagher. Fleck should replace the injured Jack

The squad could be strengthened if we had more eligible players willing to pledge their allegiance to Scotland. Angus Gunn, Ryan Fredericks, Matt Targett and Conor Gallagher could bring in more valuable EPL experience.

Gallagher, like Gilmour, has great potential and Clarke should be courting him for his squad.

Gordon, Marshall, McLaughlin.

Cooper, Gallagher, Hanley, Hendry, McKenna, O'Donnell, Patterson, Robertson, Tierney.

Armstrong, Christie, Fleck, Forrest, Fraser, Gilmour, McGinn, McGregor, McLean, McTominay.

Adams, Dykes, Nisbet.

Spoiler

Edit: Forgot McGinn! However, I think Clarke will go with Palmer instead of Patterson. 

Edited by Slacker

Cooper, Gallagher, Hanley, Hendry, McKenna, O'Donnell, Patterson, Robertson, Tierney.
Armstrong, Christie, Fleck, Forrest, Fraser, Gilmour, McGregor, McLean, McTominay, Turnbull.
Adams, Dykes, Nisbet.
Spoiler

However, I think Clarke will go with Palmer and Paterson instead of Patterson and Turnbull. 

Scanning that squad and wanting to get all angry about some omissions...
...but I can't see any obvious ones, while there are some pleasant additions (Turnbull, Patterson, Gilmour).
[emoji106]

I'll go with;

Goalkeepers (3)

Marshall

Gordon

McLaughlin

Defenders (9)

Robertson

Tierney

O'Donnell

Palmer

Hanley

Cooper

Hendry

Gallagher 

McKenna

Midfielders (10)

McGinn

McGregor

McTominay

Armstrong

McLean

Christie

Forrest

Fraser

Turnbull

Gauld

Strikers / Attackers (4)

Adams

Dykes

Nisbet

Paterson

On 28/04/2021 at 00:06, Slacker said:

Armstrong, Christie, Fleck, Forrest, Fraser, Gilmour, McGinn, McGregor, McLean, McTominay.

Adams, Dykes, Nisbet.

Reveal hidden contents

Edit: Forgot McGinn! However, I think Clarke will go with Palmer instead of Patterson. 

You’ve only picked 25 players sir, give me another name.

1 hour ago, Les Cabbage said:

You’ve only picked 25 players sir, give me another name.

Having a shocker. When I realised I’d missed out McGinn I swapped him in for Turnbull, so get him back in there. Thank you. 

Afternoon people.

So far we have 12 votes in for 37 different players, who will make the cut? The deadline is 2 weeks tomorrow, get your votes in either via message or by posting below. Big reveal coming week commencing 23/05 before the squad is revealed the following week.

Still no St Johnstone players voted for so at least there’s a win.

On 06/05/2021 at 19:55, Les Cabbage said:

Still no St Johnstone players voted for so at least there’s a win.

Happy to wreck that for you. I’ll even give you my justifications at the bottom.

GK: Marshall, Gordon McLaughlin

Defenders: Robertson, Tierney, Hanley, McKenna, Cooper, Kerr, Hendry, O’Donnell, Rooney

Midfield: McGregor, Christie, McTominay, McGinn, Forrest, Fraser, McLean, Turnbull, Armstrong, Gilmour, Gauld

Strikers: Adams, Dykes, Nisbet

I’m justifying my home team picks on the basis that a) for me Jason Kerr has been the best Scottish centre back in the Premiership this season and has captained his team to what could be the best season a diddy  team has ever had. He also plays in the problem RCB position in a similar shape to what Scotland play. He’s more than worth a go.

And b) Liam Palmer needs heaved from the squad. He doesn’t even play right back most of the time for Sheffield Wednesday - an absolutely rotten side who are in the next few minutes going to be relegated from the English Championship, possibly as the bottom side. He’s played RB five times in 2021, with no appearances in that position since March 3. In the current game he’s barely touched the ball - and I don’t see any suggestion he’s likely to get any better going forward. On the flip side Rooney has had a sensational season and his energy, running, power and aerial ability would make him a good back up option to O’Donnell, the likely starter. If you can have SOD - who’s had a mixed season at best - you can have Rooney, a big sexy b*****d who will almost certainly make things entertaining if nothing else.

As for the rest of it I think most of the places are pretty well nailed on. The extended squad lets us take the likes of Gilmour, Gayle and Turnbull who you’d expect to be at the heart of things going forward.

We really need some new goalkeepers though - McLaughlin and Gordon shouldn’t really be anywhere near it at this stage.

Edited by Jamie_Beatson

I feel really bad for McLean. He came up with two huge moments to send us to the Euros, has largely done well for Scotland and was in with a good chance of starting. Hopefully he makes it to Qatar otherwise this summer was his only shot. 

It confirms McTominay in midfield which, in turn, might confirm Cooper at RCB and maybe Considine AND Hendry making the squad. 

Goalkeepers (3) - 

Gordon, Marshall, Kelly

Defenders (9)

O'Donnell, Patterson, Robertson, Tierney, Hendry, Hanley, Cooper, McKenna, Gallacher

Midfielders (9)

McTominay, Gilmour, McGinn, McGregor, Christie, Armstrong, Fleck, Turnbull, McCrorie (26th man) 

Forwards (5)

Dykes, Adams, Nisbet, Forrest, Fraser