Partick Thistle vs Clyde

Lost for words how poor we were again. No service for Goodie and really struggling to make simple passes. I hope we have a clear out in the summer if we manage to stay up.
QP will be much better than one of the teams their replacing. IF and only if we manage stay up were going to need that clear oot from last game o season & not a minute later

I don't think anyone fancied us with that line up. Maybe we had one eye on Thursday. Arguably a more winnable game. But we got the balance wrong tonight.

We kept up with Thistle in work rate terms for a long time but it was predictable that they would eventually score given the ease and persistance with which they were launching balls into our box. They've got plenty big players to attack those deliveries.

Until we introduced Cuddihy, we had too few midfielders capable of keeping possession simple and keeping possession full stop. Love was the only player that offered us width and an outball and he looked shattered almost from the off. Goodwillie was barely involved.

Kudos to Danny for putting Lang up later on. That at least simplified things when we needed a goal back.

If there's a blame game to be played for the first goal, there's a few things you could point to. A wiser defender simply would not have shown Tiffoney goalward or to the line with as much space behind him as Bain had, particularly being a clear second favourite in the leg race. Of course, the twenty-odd passes Thistle strung together on that side in front of Bain tells you something about how effectively we defended there as a unit. And you could just as rightly point to the spaces between defenders as the game went on. We were very easy to open up all in. It was a result both of bad individual defending and a collective failure getting back to player selection and fading fitness. That's how I have to see it.

And we soldier on to Thursday...

Edited by Clydeside
Typos

That commentator made the Falkirk guys sound impartial :shutup. At least his co-commentator sounded embarrassed , correcting him several times.

On the whole I thought we defended well  for most of the game (playing our 9th game in 3 weeks :o).

Apart from the 2 goals they never actually threatened much (but it would obviously have been a bit of a steal if we'd nicked a point).

Thursday has always been the main game this week, and I'm pleased Danny rested a few players for it.

As one positive, I thought David Wilson had a decent debut in goals. Other than one rush of blood in the second half, he looked pretty assured and couldn’t do much about either of the goals. Looked a fairly dependable pair of hands for a young guy. Well done to him.

10 hours ago, shawfield shed boy said:
10 hours ago, TheBigGuy said:
Lost for words how poor we were again. No service for Goodie and really struggling to make simple passes. I hope we have a clear out in the summer if we manage to stay up.

QP will be much better than one of the teams their replacing. IF and only if we manage stay up were going to need that clear oot from last game o season & not a minute later

Clearing out is simple. Getting new players in is the hard part.

9 hours ago, clyde4ever said:

That commentator made the Falkirk guys sound impartial :shutup. At least his co-commentator sounded embarrassed , correcting him several times.

On the whole I thought we defended well  for most of the game (playing our 9th game in 3 weeks :o).

Apart from the 2 goals they never actually threatened much (but it would obviously have been a bit of a steal if we'd nicked a point).

Thursday has always been the main game this week, and I'm pleased Danny rested a few players for it.

We're scraping the barrel with our choice of match commentator, he repeatedly said we were playing Peterhead the other week when we were actually playing Cove.

It's a riddy.

When the team was announced, I would gladly have excepted a refund for the PPV , which I thought was easily the best I’ve seen this season.   

Thomson and Robertson in the same midfield, Jack to lightweight up front and McNiff and Bain as fullbacks, there was only ever going to be one result,  having said that if only Bain had walked a bit faster for the first goal

13 hours ago, Clydeside said:

I don't think anyone fancied us with that line up. Maybe we had one eye on Thursday. Arguably a more winnable game. But we got the balance wrong tonight.

We kept up with Thistle in work rate terms for a long time but it was predictable that they would eventually score given the ease and persistance with which they were launching balls into our box. They've got plenty big players to attack those deliveries.

Until we introduced Cuddihy, we had too few midfielders capable of keeping possession simple and keeping possession full stop. Love was the only player that offered us width and an outball and he looked shattered almost from the off. Goodwillie was barely involved.

Kudos to Danny for putting Lang up later on. That at least simplified things when we needed a goal back.

If there's a blame game to be played for the first goal, there's a few things you could point to. A wiser defender simply would not have shown Tiffoney goalward or to the line with as much space behind him as Bain had, particularly being a clear second favourite in the leg race. Of course, the twenty-odd passes Thistle strung together on that side in front of Bain tells you something about how effectively we defended there as a unit. And you could just as rightly point to the spaces between defenders as the game went on. We were very easy to open up all in. It was a result both of bad individual defending and a collective failure getting back to player selection and fading fitness. That's how I have to see it.

And we soldier on to Thursday...

You seemed solid at centre of defence but out wide, pretty poor at stopping the balls from out wide, bar a few blocks on McKenna by the left back, thistle had the run out wide, esp tiffony on the left. That apart, first time I've seen clyde this season and was impressed with the work rate and press in the middle, 1st half especially. 

I think the constant balls into the box and coming in from a wide position would eventually lead to a goal. Work rate alone should see you safe.

Guest andyp1301
21 hours ago, Bully Wee Clyde FC said:

This is where Corr and Diamond prove their worth.......I hope.

Hard to know if we can realistically expect them and the new guy Jonathan McFarlane to come up with players that align to the budget next season. We can't judge their performance since they turned up as there has been no reporting structure on their activity.

Which players have they been responsible for, coming in this season?

I'd hazard a guess at not many.

Tom Lang- no

The Rangers kids- don't think so

The St Mirren kids - doubtful

Kev Nicoll- no

McGlinchy_ maybe

Otoo- no

Lloyd Robertson -maybe

Still struggling to see the relevance and requirement for a team of 3 in a recruitment department and surely if the Board actually do see this as necessary, shouldn't they

be reporting positively and in detail on their progress through their first season? Personally not convinced there's a need.