Heads Gone - The Peppino Impastato Memorial Thread

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

I think the definitionof cancel culture would be that people suffer significant, disproportionate consequences for their views.  So people might lose their job, or lose their opportunities etc.

What I'm saying is that if you think that someone is a dick for red dotting posts about health problems or mental health or anything else, rather than try to make posts undottable just say to the person that they are a dick or ignore them.  Not only will this make you feel better but it will, to coin a phrase, improve the forum experience for you and everyone else.

The difficulty is that quite a lot of really, really *bad* posters aren't put off by this - they just post through it.  Think of the Liverpool supporting dot enthusiast or the various incarnations of Supras.

I think you are putting your own definition on "cancel culture".  The accepted definition for cancel culture does not require that people suffer significant or disproportionate consequences.  The entire cancel culture is dependant on mob mentality which is what you were promoting and is already a well observed behaviour on P & B, although usually relating to a poster rather than their posts. 

3 hours ago, virginton said:

Except that they're not enjoying it, if their head is being given a serious wobble by coloured circles on a screen. That's a matter for qualified mental health experts to deal with, rather than the moderation of a Scottish football forum. 

Well no, because the correct analogy flips the scenario precisely on its head. If someone with crippling anxiety enters a public space - a pub for example - do the other people in the room suddenly have a responsibility to not trigger them in any way? 

The answer to that - in a fucking rational society at least - is 'of course not'. The individual has to choose what situations they want to engage in - and always risk having a bad experience - rather than the rest of society automatically self-policing for any and all potential issues in the room. Making that decision is part of 'being an adult' and has got nothing to do with mental health specifically. 

The obvious follow-on from your argument would be to cover literally every single post on the forum with spoilers and trigger warnings, in case anyone's divine right to enjoyment was harmed by content that they didn't want to see. 

If the analogy is a pub, there's a good chance that a punter could get chucked out, battered or just roundly ridiculed if they chose to spend most of their time there calling someone else a dick whenever that other person said anything. 

24 minutes ago, coprolite said:

If the analogy is a pub, there's a good chance that a punter could get chucked out, battered or just roundly ridiculed if they chose to spend most of their time there calling someone else a dick whenever that other person said anything. 

But, but, just as dots are mere coloured circles, abusive spoken words are just exhalations of air through spaces manipulated by movements of parts of the mouth.

31 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Ridicule (whether you agree to it or not) is part and parcel of the culture in most pubs up and down the country. Which is why they're probably not the best place for someone with extreme levels of personal anxiety to frequent, rather than trying to turn the pubs into 'safe spaces'.

And oh look, individual agency has solved that problem. 

2 hours ago, virginton said:

Ridicule (whether you agree to it or not) is part and parcel of the culture in most pubs up and down the country. Which is why they're probably not the best place for someone with extreme levels of personal anxiety to frequent, rather than trying to turn the pubs into 'safe spaces'.

And oh look, individual agency has solved that problem. 

I'm making a different point besides the mental health stuff, which is that i agree the physical space of a pub is a good analogy for this virtual space but it's limited. 

The proprietor can choose who they want chucked out, whether that's for violating agreed norms of behaviour, just for irritating the proprietor's mates or anything in between. 

There's plenty of comments made on here that would result in a fat lip in most pubs. I've made plenty myself and if you spoke to people in pubs like you do sometimes on here you'd earn a few proper doings. So the real world ways that society regulates itself don't apply in here. 

You can't see the people you're communicating with. In the real world, if someone looks like they're taking a bit of banter personally and is starting to get upset, most people would stop. The real world way that people converse doesn't apply in here. 

There's no real analogue for persistent dotting in the real world. There's no established standard of behaviour or even common understanding of what's meant by the coloured circles. I take them as disapproval of whatever cunty thing i've just said (or that someone likes whatever pishy tv show i jyst slagged off). Other people might take it personally as an insult and as a blow to their self esteem. I don't think that would require extreme anxiety or anything like that. 

I have no idea what anyone may have done to get banned and am not commenting on whether it was deserved. 

But there is a middle ground between "safe space" and "complete disregard for other people's feelings". 

There is a definite case/argument for people abusing the dotting system on here, while most of it is in jest and pretty light hearted, people who go on dotting sprees on here really need help, Marshmallo being the prime example, taking out a platinum membership, so you can have extra dots to down vote people is as tragic and embarrassing as it gets.

Can't remember who it was but I'm sure some regular poster on here got binned a couple of years ago for red dotting a post 8Mile had made on the pregnancy/parenting thread where he spoke of the heartbreaking time he and his wife suffered a miscarriage 

9 hours ago, strichener said:

I think you are putting your own definition on "cancel culture".  The accepted definition for cancel culture does not require that people suffer significant or disproportionate consequences.  The entire cancel culture is dependant on mob mentality which is what you were promoting and is already a well observed behaviour on P & B, although usually relating to a poster rather than their posts. 

Do you usually confuse "accepted definition" for "thing I made up on the spot to justify my incredibly lame joke I couldn't resist making due to being an awful bore"?

10 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

@Bully Wee Villa closing the GSTQ thread as it had "run its course" even though it was still going strong.

Do things often finish prematurely for you, chief?

He is Pn'B's first 'performative moderator' by behaving in a way that the thread he closed was seeking to highlight.