Heads Gone - The Peppino Impastato Memorial Thread

2 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:

I did have a chuckle at two saddoes having a red dotting square go with each other a few years ago. It seemed to be serious stuff. It was a Hearts fan from Grimsby or somewhere and some other weirdo. 

Very odd behaviour. 

We got them to join the Quiz thread and then they calmed down.

Everyone should join, it's a pacifier thread.

52 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:

I did have a chuckle at two saddoes having a red dotting square go with each other a few years ago. It seemed to be serious stuff. It was a Hearts fan from Grimsby or somewhere and some other weirdo. 

Very odd behaviour. 

I had a good chuckle when you wanted another poster ‘red dotted within an inch of his life’ - whatever the f**k that means - for being against David Goodwillie playing in the SPFL. Some man you are.

E8C60016-7D32-493F-BF58-27376FC7A9C1.thumb.jpeg.06b99241ab13aa0b8a0d9436ab965f43.jpeg

33 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

I had a good chuckle when you wanted another poster ‘red dotted within an inch of his life’ - whatever the f**k that means - for being against David Goodwillie playing in the SPFL. Some man you are.

E8C60016-7D32-493F-BF58-27376FC7A9C1.thumb.jpeg.06b99241ab13aa0b8a0d9436ab965f43.jpeg

Wow! Impressive bit of detective work. I am now a man of peace. Have a Hughie. 

On 17/09/2022 at 09:28, Mr. Alli said:

Are we at a point in society where we now tell people to stop doing things they enjoy because of other people's actions? 

Sure, they're only red dots on a screen to some but this website brings so much to many people. I'm not sure saying "if it bothers you that much, don't do it". 

Except that they're not enjoying it, if their head is being given a serious wobble by coloured circles on a screen. That's a matter for qualified mental health experts to deal with, rather than the moderation of a Scottish football forum. 

If - as it appears - some of you are, do you take this stance with literally everything else in life? Should people who suffer from crippling anxiety just lock themselves indoors or something?

Well no, because the correct analogy flips the scenario precisely on its head. If someone with crippling anxiety enters a public space - a pub for example - do the other people in the room suddenly have a responsibility to not trigger them in any way? 

The answer to that - in a fucking rational society at least - is 'of course not'. The individual has to choose what situations they want to engage in - and always risk having a bad experience - rather than the rest of society automatically self-policing for any and all potential issues in the room. Making that decision is part of 'being an adult' and has got nothing to do with mental health specifically. 

The obvious follow-on from your argument would be to cover literally every single post on the forum with spoilers and trigger warnings, in case anyone's divine right to enjoyment was harmed by content that they didn't want to see. 

The true sanction for people red dotting someone's posts about serious health or family problems is for all other forum members to think you are a dick and behave accordingly.  This could be ignoring you, not responding to your posts or openly disparaging you.  Thus, through the power of social ostracism, we can enforce good standards of behaviour on the forum.

44 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

The true sanction for people red dotting someone's posts about serious health or family problems is for all other forum members to think you are a dick and behave accordingly.  This could be ignoring you, not responding to your posts or openly disparaging you.  Thus, through the power of social ostracism, we can enforce good standards of behaviour on the forum.

^^^Cancel culture thread for this pish.

The fact that you have questioned if it exists in your OP on the above thread whilst advocating for it here is mildly amusing.

20 minutes ago, strichener said:

^^^Cancel culture thread for this pish.

The fact that you have questioned if it exists in your OP on the above thread whilst advocating for it here is mildly amusing.

I think the definitionof cancel culture would be that people suffer significant, disproportionate consequences for their views.  So people might lose their job, or lose their opportunities etc.

What I'm saying is that if you think that someone is a dick for red dotting posts about health problems or mental health or anything else, rather than try to make posts undottable just say to the person that they are a dick or ignore them.  Not only will this make you feel better but it will, to coin a phrase, improve the forum experience for you and everyone else.

The difficulty is that quite a lot of really, really *bad* posters aren't put off by this - they just post through it.  Think of the Liverpool supporting dot enthusiast or the various incarnations of Supras.